Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
d4250e75ab62312d16d67fa44c11ce42.jpg

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Eric Carmen had a wonderful singing voice. Like a lot of folks (I assume) I first became aware of him while fronting the Raspberries. Their 1972 hit "Go All The Way" was a really interesting song that combined a soft ballad and driving hook-laden guitar riffs. It was one of the seminal power pop songs of its era, showcasing Carmen's vocal abilities. It is a song that I've always loved for its combination of hard and soft elements.

Thanks for all the great music, and R.I.P.

- Walter.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
RIP, Mr. Carmen.

I was aware of All By Myself when I was a teenager, but not who the singer was. It was my cousin who opened my ears to more of his music when he bought a Carmen album. I liked his other songs like Never Gonna Fall In Love Again, Hey Deanie, That's Rock 'n' Roll, and Make Me Lose Control.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"All By Myself" was a bit before my time, but I liked his later 80's hits, "Hungry Eyes" and "Make Me Lose Control".

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I always felt GO ALL THE WAY was one of the best rock anthems of the '70s era. It's probably in my Top 10 songs of all time. It's a powerhouse of a song.

And, ALL BY MYSELF is just beautiful. It wasn't until a few years ago that I discovered a radio station playing an extended version that I never knew existed. Of course, all these years, I had only heard the radio edit. The album version has an extended piano piece that puts the entire song in a new perspective.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rachmaninoff was already mentioned, but for those who aren't aware, two of Carmen's biggest hits were melodies by Sergei Rachmaninoff. I don't mention that as a slam. I think it's great.

You might recognize this...

And this...

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Eddie Trunk spent the whole open of his show today on Carmen, and his passing. Trunk has said numerous times that The Raspberries Go All The Way was the song that got him turned on to rock music. RIP, Eric.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Rachmaninoff was already mentioned, but for those who aren't aware, two of Carmen's biggest hits were melodies by Sergei Rachmaninoff. I don't mention that as a slam. I think it's great.

Was there any mention of this in the liner notes of Carmen's LPs? My dad had the single for All By Myself, and my mom was always miffed that there was no mention of Rachmaninoff on the label.

Regardless, he was a huge talent that we won't see the likes of again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks