What's new

FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD (1 Viewer)

L BENDER

Agent
Real Name
larry
Warner- I hope we can see this fine film sometime in the near future on dvd.

Gereon_B

Grip
It came out in Germany a few months ago, in a newspaper edition licensed by Warner. The DVD is non-anamorphic and the print used shows a bit of dirt - but it's in the correct aspect ratio. So if you're interested, look no further than Amazon.de and search for "Die Herrin von Thornhill"...

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

Are you sure about the aspect ratio? If it's the same edition that appeared on DVD in the UK and was subsequently given away as a freebie in a UK newspaper, then only the credits sequence is in the correct 2.35 aspect ratio - the rest of the film is cropped 1.85. Also the soundtrack on that edition was only mono.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Would a mod please add a question mark after the title of this thread? It's a bit misleading as it is.

L BENDER

Agent
Real Name
larry
Warner- I hope we can see this fine film sometime in the near future on dvd.]

Gereon_B

Grip
No, it's 2,35:1 all the way - I own the DVD. And no, it's not North by northwest (that one has the rather strange German title "Der unsichtbare Dritte", which translates to "The invisible third", giving a whole plot point away).

You can see screenshots on this site: 1aDVD ScreenShots

And while there's no note on the cover, the english track sounds very much like stereo. I guess an old laserdisc master was used on this.

Best of all, it is rather cheap (10 Euro) - that is, if you don't count in the porto.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

So you did - sorry about that!

I don't have much faith in Optimum's product. I bet there won't be any extras for one thing. I'll probably wait for Warner Bros, who are bound to do it right.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I've about given up hope for it too. But then again, I had given up hope for Ryan's Daughter, but it was released, finally, and the DVD picture quality is incredible. Good things MAY come to those who wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks