What's new

Around the World in 80 Days Blu-ray in 2024? (2 Viewers)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I still don't quite understand what happened to the TODD-AO version. Did the negatives fade?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It would have helped if Mr Harris had spelt those out. We don’t all live in the film jargon/abbreviation/acronym world!

They have popped up quite often by now, time to learn the secret handshake.

Not that you would need to but I find it kind of fun. In any case you have seen more VVLA and TLA in movie theaters than most of us and that is what counts!

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Because 30fps brings greater audience participation, a more dynamic picture.
That's why it was chosen.
Have you watched Oklahoma on BD ?
At 30fps ?

I am not quite sure if that would make it a better movie but it certainly is a better experience to see it in 30fps and also the experience that moviegoes were supposed to have.

30fps would have brought visible improvements to many movies with a relatively modest increase in film stock compared to other options like 48fps or 60fps so it is too bad that it did not become the new standard.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It would have helped if Mr Harris had spelt those out. We don’t all live in the film jargon/abbreviation/acronym world!
Actually, those have probably been explained fifty times in these here parts. We can make a sticky for film terms.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I am not quite sure if that would make it a better movie but it certainly is a better experience to see it in 30fps and also the experience that moviegoes were supposed to have.

30fps would have brought visible improvements to many movies with a relatively modest increase in film stock compared to other options like 48fps or 60fps so it is too bad that it did not become the new standard.
The major attribute found at 30fps (frames per second) is the elimination of what is called “pIcket fencing,” a situation which, during a camera move, creates awkward visuals as 24fps is unable hold a normal image without breaking up.

This does not apply only to picket fences.

30fps gives an overall, more natural appearance when the camera is in motion.

This was also solved by Kodak’s incredible specialty stock 2-perf stock, which eliminated not only “picket fencing,” based upon the lower tensile strength (and thinner base) of the stock, but also lowered overall grain, yielding a far more highly resolved image.

This is why, throughout the 1950s and ‘60s, most films intended to be projected in 70mm, were shot on 2-perf.

Viewers need only look as far as the 4k UHD of American Graffiti to see the stock at work!

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Have you watched Oklahoma on BD ?
At 30fps ?
Nope.
If 30fps creates the "soap-opera" effect as we say it, then I don't like it.. (I remember seeing extracts of The Lord of the Rings in a shop which sold TVs, and the movement was weird. It was not filmic at all. I gathered that they had changed the frame rate)
If it doesn't , then I'm curious to see the difference.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The interest or lack thereof,to any film is...what is your personal history with it? It's almost like reclaiming parts of your past memories, and sometimes it does trigger those fun memories snd is a good thing.
Oh yes, I totally agree. For me, the films I saw in the late fifties & sixties (in the cinema & on TV) are the magical ones, they sort of seeped into my DNA, they don't all still have that magic, but a lot do (probably why I can't get exited about a WAC release that I've never seen). It's the same with music, Rubber Soul isn't the best Beatles album, but it's my favourite, warm memories of listening to the LP with my school mates.

My theory is that anything you enjoyed up to the age of 30 outranks all the stuff after that age.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Nope.
If 30fps creates the "soap-opera" effect as we say it, then I don't like it.. (I remember seeing extracts of The Lord of the Rings in a shop which sold TVs, and the movement was weird. It was not filmic at all. I gathered that they had changed the frame rate)

It does not create a soap opera effect but really gives a nicer film-look if you will.

Same with Oklahoma that also gives a good idea what 30fps can look like.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
30fps still has a very video-look to me, though not as bad as 48 or 60.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Nope.
It's a more subtle smoothing of motion than you see in HFR productions. If you've ever seen PAL video at 25fps, it's just a smidge beyond that. Not jarring like frame interpolation but more like what you might see in the real world.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It's a more subtle smoothing of motion than you see in HFR productions. If you've ever seen PAL video at 25fps, it's just a smidge beyond that. Not jarring like frame interpolation but more like what you might see in the real world.
I do not really notice much of a difference between 24fps and 25fps, probably because it is only an increase of a bit more than 4%.
30fps on the other hand gives us a 25% increase which is clearly visible, especially in the many pans that we have in Around The World in 80 Days.

I agree that 30fps feels pretty natural as it does not have that strange look that the new digital 48 and 60fps productions have. It is a very pleasant look and an excellent compromise that still looks more like traditional film than those higher framerates.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
World premiere 10/17/56
1aa.jpg

On the Tonight Show
1a.jpg

Review
1aaa.jpg

1aaaa.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks