What's new

Around the World in 80 Days Blu-ray in 2024? (1 Viewer)

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
One could add the TLA productions to the list. And don’t forget VVLA.
TLA productions? I thought this was about classic large format films from major/mini-major studios (since the company was founded in 1981). VVLA?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Next year is the big anniversary for MGM, which will coincide with the 65th anniversary of Ben-Hur’s release.
Yes, I'm sure we'll get Ben-Hur next year, but I'm not so sure about other MGM films, this Warner anniversary year hasn't produced that many Warner 4K releases. I'm thinking that the best looking Large Format film could well be Mutiny On The Bounty (1962)...if it ever happens.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
TLA = Technirama Large Aperture
VVLA = VistaVision Large Aperture
Thank you, Oliver.

Ergo, Horizontal 35/8-perf formats:

1954: VistaVision
1958: Technirama
1959: Super Technirama 70 (if you make 70mm prints, of course).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
One could add the TLA productions to the list. And don’t forget VVLA.

How much would you be willing to pay for a First Edition 4k UHD?

$100?
Around the World in Eighty Days is one of a literal handful of "holy grail" films I'll pay a premium on without flinching. I had no issues picking up the Columbia Classics Vol. 1 box mostly for Lawrence of Arabia and I even bought an all-region Blu-ray player for the BFI edition of Napoleon. The remaining two digits would be Von Stroheim's Greed and a Blu-ray collection of Norman McLaren's NFB Canada films.

Perhaps the addition of things meant for the general collector would make the release more enticing? A limited, numbered deluxe edition with a printed replica of the roadshow program, an Arrow/Indicator style slipcase, poster or lobby cards, etc. Perhaps a steelbook would lure the crowd usually interested in Marvel and DC? Perhaps even an Atmos remix, in addition to the original 6-track adapted to 5.1 like the DVD?

One exciting program would be a simple piece on the physical history of the film. How it had two initial versions, the general release cut down, the rights changing hands from The Michael Todd Company to Warner Bros., how it languished in poor quality video editions for years, the first letterboxed screening on TCM, the DVD, and the restoration. Perhaps it would be possible to incorporate the deleted prologue and Eddie Fisher scenes into said feature (as I would assume sound elements probably don't survive for them).

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Around the World in Eighty Days is one of a literal handful of "holy grail" films I'll pay a premium on without flinching. I had no issues picking up the Columbia Classics Vol. 1 box mostly for Lawrence of Arabia and I even bought an all-region Blu-ray player for the BFI edition of Napoleon. The remaining two digits would be Von Stroheim's Greed and a Blu-ray collection of Norman McLaren's NFB Canada films.

Perhaps the addition of things meant for the general collector would make the release more enticing? A limited, numbered deluxe edition with a printed replica of the roadshow program, an Arrow/Indicator style slipcase, poster or lobby cards, etc. Perhaps a steelbook would lure the crowd usually interested in Marvel and DC? Perhaps even an Atmos remix, in addition to the original 6-track adapted to 5.1 like the DVD?

One exciting program would be a simple piece on the physical history of the film. How it had two initial versions, the general release cut down, the rights changing hands from The Michael Todd Company to Warner Bros., how it languished in poor quality video editions for years, the first letterboxed screening on TCM, the DVD, and the restoration. Perhaps it would be possible to incorporate the deleted prologue and Eddie Fisher scenes into said feature (as I would assume sound elements probably don't survive for them).
Not sure if there’s a track for the prologue. AFAIK, it survives as a faded 65mm unit.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Now that Warner Bros. MPI has a Lasergraphics Director 10K, (according to an article I read about that MPI used the scanner for the restoration of Casablanca 1942 for it's preperation for a 4K UHD release). What if they used this "Bad-Boy o'piece" to Restore (Scan) and Remaster:

Candidates for films [five titles per horizontal 8-perf format] (In chronological [world-premiere] release date) that have BDs with transfers that are starting to get old/Not on 4K UHD/BD/DVD Not on Disc (exclusive to VHS/LaserDisc) and Not released in any form of Home Video:

VistaVision:

Anything Goes (1956) [Paramount]
The Searchers (1956) [Warner Bros.] (previously released on BD in 2007, I believe it would be sensible to consider a new 4K UHD/Remastered BD, done with the mentioned scanner above)
High Society (1956) [MGM]
North by Northwest [MGM] (previously released on BD in 2009, I believe it would be sensible to consider a new 4K UHD/Remastered BD *, done with the mentioned scanner above)
Li'l Abner (1959) [Paramount]

Technirama:

Arrivederci Roma (1957) [MGM]
The Miracle (1959) [Warner Bros.]
John Paul Jones (1959) [Warner Bros.]
Et mourir de plaisir [Blood and Roses] (1960) [Paramount]
My Geisha (1962) [Paramount]

Super Technirama 70:

The Savage Innocents (1960) [Paramount] [need opinions on Olive's BD transfer, before a new remaster may be considered]
Zulu (1964) [Paramount] [Both Paramount UK BD and Twilight Time BDs' transfers are dated and a new remaster is need, as long as thing go as planned with Paramount (International/original rights holders) and MGM Studios, Inc. (since they acquired Embassy Pictures (US distributors)].

Make of this selection, what you will.

Now where were we? Discussion about a BD release "Around the World in 80 Days" (1956) in the future?

Have a good afternoon/night.:)

* I know the film has scanned been scanned at 8K before, but wouldn't it be nice to have a 4K UHD copy of the film?

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Want this one bad. I don't think I've ever seen it (somehow!). Although earlier this year I watched Irwin Allen's Five Weeks in a Balloon and woke up to a bowl of putrid popcorn in my lap. I don't know how long I was in a coma. Now, Michael Palin's travel series trying to copy Around the World was outstanding.

No way can I pay $100 for this though. Having to buckle down. Trying to buy a house. Yep, I'm one of the ones trying to do that right now.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wouldn't pay $100 for Around the World because I found it a bit boring (I apologize to those who love the film), but I would pay it for Raintree County!
I wouldn't pay $100 for either of them, but then I don't really fancy those films. There are films I'd pay that kind of money for (we all have our favourites). The Twilight Time release, The Egyptian cost me around £40 delivered & if I have to import a Warner Archive title, it costs me £25, but good luck to the fans of those films.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Some of these movies of course were made to be technical marvels when seen in the theatre. I saw Around The World in the theatre (as we used to call it) and loved it. TCM showed it, and to my surprise I found it boring not to say tedious. It just does not hold up at home.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The interest or lack thereof,to any film is...what is your personal history with it? It's almost like reclaiming parts of your past memories, and sometimes it does trigger those fun memories snd is a good thing.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Some of these movies of course were made to be technical marvels when seen in the theatre. I saw Around The World in the theatre (as we used to call it) and loved it. TCM showed it, and to my surprise I found it boring not to say tedious. It just does not hold up at home.
Ergo, you have a larger experience watching a large format film at a Cinema/Movie Theater than watching it at home.
I have seen the film at a 70mm theatre at Krnov, Czech Republic [during KRRR! Mir 70]

These photos might be interesting to give you an answer to what version of the film I might have saw out of the 30fps/24fps versions [Filmed/snapped in April 2019]:

Top: 24fps
Bottom: 30fps (due to red fade)
IMG_5565.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5573.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks