Far And Away (1992)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brent Avery, Feb 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

I just checked the disc - the back cover says 2:35 but viewed on my lcd tv it looks to be the proper 2:20 but will be viewing it on a 2:35 screen Saturday to confirm. The audio is listed as 5.1 dts hd and the disc is a bd 50 with bitrate over 30 and usually around 35 - 38 mbs. It looks good so far but again, for me the real test will be projected and will update tomorrow.

2. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Far and away, a great way to start a nap.

JustinFow likes this.
  3. Jari K

Jari K Producer

Yes, I remember this was a bit boring. But haven't seen it in years. Perhaps I should see it again.

4. John Stockton

John Stockton Second Unit

I would be quite shocked if Universal actually scanned this from 65 MM.

Awaiting your confirmation Brent.

5. DP 70

DP 70 Supporting Actor

Derek
    I had the UK DVD and it was 2.35:1.

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    I'd actually be shocked if it looked good as other Ron Howard films from Universal do not look good on blu ray.

7. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

John - I admit to being less than observant at times, I was a bit under the weather Saturday so did not run the projector, but decided to check Hello Dolly on the tv just for comparison and it appears that my initial thoughts on the oar were off, as from what I am seeing it does look to be 2:35. Still, I hope to view it projected if only to see how it looks. When looking at something like Dolly it is not difficult to imagine Universal did not use the 65mm elements, assuming one should be expecting the same level of clarity. Far And Away certainly looks good from what I saw so far, but still, it is a shame that being one of the few modern exceptions to use the large format that Universal did not treat it better. One has to consider cost I suppose but as Mr. Harris has said more than once that generally it really is not that much more of an expense for the studios.

8. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Screen caps have finally been posted on another review site, which confirms a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. It would appear we are not getting a new transfer from the 65mm elements. :(

9. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Supporting Actor

Yes, no 70mm detail at all on this Blu Ray (meaning detail approaching the 1080p 4:2:0 limit).

10. OliverK

OliverK Cinematographer

I guess that after what they repeatedly did with Spartacus one has to be thankful for every large format release that looks like Far and Away or Airport.