What's new

extreme novice (1 Viewer)

Lynn Bean

Auditioning
Real Name
Lynn
I've purchased a sharp front projector(PG-C30XU) for next to nothing and am interested in making a home theater system for a few hundred bucks. The projector only has 150 hours on the bulb and the picture looks good. I want the best picture I can get and there are three inputs that look like I could use: a single RCA jack, an S video and a RS-232C. What little research I've done tells me the RCA won't work in HD. The specs say it'll run 1080i. Does that work only thru the computer input? Help!

Also, what's a good, cheap Home theater system. We're not perfectionists, just want decent video and sound.

Last, I've been looking at screen "goo", to paint a screen, is this any good? Any good alternatives? I've got a great room for this, 20' x 30' and I want to put the screen above the fireplace. The ceiling is slightly raised(9 feet) so there's plenty of room for the mount.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Is the RS-232 jack the same as VGA? If so, that's what you would use for HD. Either a VGA on each end of cable, or VGA on one end and component cable on other end. I wouldn't use Goo, it's overpriced paint. There are plenty of great DIY screen solutions at Avsforum.com. I painted a sheet of 1/2" MDF for my screen.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
You will want a 4:3 to 16:9 anamorphic lens to put over the projector lens. The projector itself is 4:3 aspect ratio with a 1024x768 pixel resolution. Without the anamorphic lens you have to adjust the vertical size setting in the projector to get a 16:9 picture, which will cut the resolution to 1024x576, no longer qualifying as HDTV.

Like the yellow RCA jack, the S-video jack is also limited to 480i (SDTV) video signals.

Chididdy123

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
ive read review on screen goo and it seems to be ok. i would personally by a real screen though. wall imperfections might get annoyiing to you when haveing the wall as a screen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks