What's new

EXODUS BLURAY JAN 18 1012. (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH.

I was about 10 or 11 when I first saw Exodus, and it made me cry hysterically. Would you believe I've never watched it since then? After reading the reviews of the DVD, I never bothered to buy it. I may have the laserdisc in a stack of unwatched discs, but it's probably as bad or worse than the DVD. (Seems like I remember a review said it had no color.)

I would almost say that the DVD used the same transfer as the Laserdisc due to both off in color, but the laserdisc had the intermission and Entr'acte, while the DVD did not. That is one of the reasons I kept the Laser. Bruce is right, you can't sit for three+ hours without an intermission. Since the DVD was non-anamorphic also, playing the laserdisc is just as good as playing the DVD.

On another note, I have always found this film to entertaining and powerful in a lot of ways, let alone the great Oscar winning score by Ernest Gold, who didn't have a copy of the #2 Ferrante & Teicher LP. The soundtrack went on to win a Grammy for Best Soundtrack that year.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'm sending this back to Amazon.fr tomorrow. Annoying forced subtitles on a blu-ray premiere of an American classic make me sick to my stomach. It makes it unwatchable for me and a heartbreak, as well, since I love this film. There is NO EXCUSE for this! I'm not that upset by the transfer, but white subtitles all over everything including Paul Newman's face make it a disaster. DO NOT spend your money on this piece of garbage. What kind of a hack outfit is "Opening Distribution". One can only hope that they will be "Closing" soon! I will never buy their tripe again. Imagine a French film lover having to watch a landmark premiere Jean Gabin French film with forced white English subtitles plastered all over his face! Thank God a company like, say, Criterion GIVES US (French or English) THE OPTION. Hasn't this option usually been available in most all releases since the dawn of the DVD? What were these knuckleheads thinking? I just pray that MGM lets the UK or Australia at his one. "Shock" in AU did a great job with the "Taras Bulba" BD. This film and its fans deserve better.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ed Lachmann said:
I'm sending this back to Amazon.fr tomorrow. Annoying forced subtitles on a blu-ray premiere of an American classic make me sick to my stomach. It makes it unwatchable for me and a heartbreak, as well, since I love this film. There is NO EXCUSE for this! I'm not that upset by the transfer, but white subtitles all over everything including Paul Newman's face make it a disaster. DO NOT spend your money on this piece of garbage. What kind of a hack outfit is "Opening Distribution". One can only hope that they will be "Closing" soon! I will never buy their tripe again. Imagine a French film lover having to watch a landmark premiere Jean Gabin French film with forced white English subtitles plastered all over his face! Thank God a company like, say, Criterion GIVES US (French or English) THE OPTION. Hasn't this option usually been available in most all releases since the dawn of the DVD? What were these knuckleheads thinking? I just pray that MGM lets the UK or Australia at his one. "Shock" in AU did a great job with the "Taras Bulba" BD. This film and its fans deserve better.
You seem to have missed the fact that this is intended and marketed for the French market and nowhere else!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
"Shock" in AU did a great job with the "Taras Bulba" BD. This film and its fans deserve better. [/quote] Yes apart from not using the stereo tracks!!!. As I have said before, with forced subtitles, I will be avoiding this.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Sorry Doug but this may be the only release we will ever see of this film in BD, and there is still no excuse in my opinion. But, to the point, weren't the Carlotta Fox BDs of "Seventh Heaven", "Street Angel" and "Lucky Star" for the French market? That was also true of Fellini's "Casanova" when it was released in France only. How about "1492", "La Mome" and "Pirates"? Why didn't they force the French subtitles on everyone. How many Spanish DVD's of unreleased Universal films have I bought with removable subtitles. Wasn't the BD of "Agora" for the Spanish market and nowhere else? Hell, even French reviewers on the Amazon.fr site wrote that it was a travesty because of the unremovable subtitles. Why do all my American French language DVDs and BDs allow you to watch without English subtitles if you choose? Or, did they miss the fact that these were for the American market and nowhere else? This "Exodus" certainly was not worth the 19 euros and expensive shipping. Big disappointment that didn't have to be.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Robert, please instruct us! If I can save this debacle, I will. As you say, the subs are certainly absent when using the French language option. What's the secret?

Robert George

Screenwriter
It's not a secret, but depending on your level of expertise, perhaps not that easy.

Now, I'm not condoning anything that breaks any (stupid) DRM regulations, but...

When a disc is ripped to a file, the various streams are generally accessible. Ripping this Blu-ray to an MKV or M2TS would allow one to simply remove the French subtitle track.

Not that I would have any firsthand knowledge of such an activity, and if I did have any knowledge of such an activity I would not be disposed to discuss it.

(With apologies to Capt. Willard)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Thank you, Robert. This probably is above my expertise level as well as my present lack of high end electronics. Had hopes that my trusty Oppo 83 could somehow crack it. A good point is take from this is that the streaming factor is already becoming unavoidable and I'm looking seriously at Vudu, a decent blu ray burner and some serious software. I wanted to be a good DVD and BD buyer and play by the rules, but the likes of MGM and its cavalier releasing tactics are proving that they care less than nothing for the classic film buff here in America. This "Exodus" episode has been one of bitterness and anger. And perhaps this stupid hobby is not worth the effort anymore.

David Com

Agent
To Ed: If you have an OPPO, you should be able to reposition the subtitles off screen. Hold down the subtitle button, a prompt should appear. You then use the arrow keys to shift the subtitles off the screen. Hit enter. Just remember to reset your subs back after you're done watching, as the setting will carry over to something where you may actually want to see the subs.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
YES!!! David, you are a scholar, a gentleman and, truly, a master magician! I'll give it a shot tonight! This forum is really a wonderful thing. Folks like David and Robert are genuine lifesavers. Bless you guys for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks