DVD Profiler. Is it gone?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Deane Johnson, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I hadn't updated my list for a month or so and when I went to do so, found the site missing. Intervocative's site doesn't respond either. Anybody know anything.

I did a search on this forum, but it doesn't seem to bring up anything.

2. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    It seems to have gone down either today or yesterday. I presumed that something had crashed and the website has been taken down temporarily.

It's the best DVD cataloging software out there so it would be a real shame if it had been taken down forever. I hope we see it back online soon...

3. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Strange it was working yesterday for me but not now [​IMG]

4. Skip Magly

Skip Magly Agent

5. Skip Magly

Skip Magly Agent

6. Skip Magly

Skip Magly Agent

7. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

Has anyone heard what's going on with this site? I doubt it is permanent but the lack of information is disquieting...

Joel

8. Skip Magly

Skip Magly Agent

It's too early for that, Joel. I am sure ken is very busy dealing with whatever the problem is. He is a memeber here as well if it drags too long I am sure he will post here...he has in the past.

Skip

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    This thread answers my question. It's not just me.

I hope it comes back soon though.

10. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Oh good. I thought I was doing something wrong last night! [​IMG]

12. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Yeah thank goodness its back now [​IMG]

13. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

I really wouldn't call DVDProfiler the best DVD cataloging thing out there. In my opinion, DVDSpot is far better in terms in alot of it's aspects. I've completely stopped using DVDProfiler for over a year now so it makes no difference to me as I thought it was highly inferior as I wanted people to see how much I've paid for my purchases, date purchased and various other information which could be readily accessed directly on the site instead of a cold and distant feeling DVDProfiler illicits.
    It's highly overrated and I definitely wouldn't put my collection on it ever again. We'd like it if more people from here used DVDSpot's services. And if a DVD doesn't exist in their database, just submit instead of Profiler's usual shite reasons I disliked about it.[​IMG]

14. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Take your crap somewhere else...DVDProfiler is the best

15. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Other than the stats about other people's collections, that website is nothing special, and is much less flexible than DVD Profiler. And of course, the biggest downside of using a website for your collection is that if/when the site goes down, say goodbye to the collection info.

If the DVD Profiler central databse becomes unavailable, the program is still on my computer, so I can maintain my collection and use one of the various scripts out there that will turn the DVD Profiler XML into a website that I can host myself.

So what does this thread fart have to do with the website being unavailable anyway?

16. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

DVDProfiler kept screwing up my computer a year and a half ago. Major problems with it. If they've been largely resolved I'll take back my negative feelings towards in and perhaps re-use it in conjunction with DVDSpot mainly to back-up my collection. Any suggestions as to whether I should re-download it?
    My opinions are based on the negative reactions I had with the software a year and a half ago and I got fed up with it is all. Sorry for the seeming hostility. But at least DVDSpot I lets you enter in the entire UPC code from the back of the case so as to enter it into the system faster or something. And with DVDProfiler for the fee of something like $20 or more you get the "full" version with the better covers and no ads. That's the major withdraw I had with it. Any updates or reassurances to other information again will be nice.
    And when you buy the full version, can you still use it on other computers other than the one you used to get the full one? Meaning the user code could possibly be used on the other computers such as work for the full version...
    Sorry for the alleged thread fart.[​IMG]

17. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Well, I can understand the frustration with those problems that you had. I've personally never had any issues with any versions of the software.

18. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

Ray, I have experienced no issues running DVD Profiler on several PC's. I currently have copies running on two home machines (I only update the database in one, but haven't removed it from the old PC) and one work PC. You can use the same license code from the full version on more than one PC. Also, DVD Profiler provides the ability to enter titles via UPC code as you mentioned with DVD Spot. It also has a plug in for a UPC code scanner to save you the trouble of typing in those codes (although I've never personally tried this function).

19. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    I used to use Profiler religiously, but my computer just can't handle holding the front and back scans of every movie I own. I tried it again a couple weeks ago when I upgraded my memory and after about 20 titles, it started running very slow again. I like it for small collections, but not my size.

20. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    20 titles and it's slow? That's strange. There are people who use DVD Profiler for several hundreds to multiple thousands of DVDs.

What are the specs on your computer?