What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Details: Kill Bill: Volume One (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I gotta watch this again before the end of the week.

What a friggin' fun film!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ouch, ign gave it an overall score of 6 !!I wonder if it had anything to do with them considering that its really half of a big film ?Anyway i think it works pretty well on its own, save for the cliffhanger end.:)

richardWI

Second Unit

It IS a fun film. One of the things I like about it is the fact that it never tries to be something it isn't. You just strap in for the ride and trust the director is going to take you someplace cool. Volume 2 can't get here soon enough, and neither can my Vol. 1 DVD!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
That 4 rating for extras sure didn't help it's average.

I cannot wait to see this movie again! I loved it. I am not sure I am going to buy it because of double dipping, but I am so stoked for this, I may give in to temptation anyway! I am still disappointed that the one scene is going to be black and white, but I'll hold off really complaining until the definitive version of the movie is released. Maybe the "Tarantino Cut" will restore the color for R1. Only another week and a half!

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I wasn't as impressed with the visea as with the audio. It wasn't too overbearing and forward sounding like most action flicks. Still worth getting even before the deluxe edition comes out.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I'm still undecided on this release. On the one hand, I don't feel like double-dipping. On the other, if the eventual super release will be a complete recut of both Vol. I and II together, I'd probably get this one anyway just to have the theatrical version. But if the super is the two played back to back and no credits, then I'll stick with that.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

"Volume I" is 111 minutes. If "Volume II" has a similar length, we'll never see them on a single disc (it would be 3 hours and 41 minutes long), and if you're gonna have to change discs or sides, what's the point of editing them back together? They may be able to eliminate 10 minutes by only using one end credits sequence and doing an alternate title sequence but it would still be too long. I think we may see alternate versions of the two volumes but I just don't see a "restored" version happening.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

I personally would love to see them edited back together, disc change or not. Besides, if it is split over 2 discs then it would most likely be similar to the LOTR:EE set where there is no studio logo/typical DVD startup stuff and go straight back into the movie, minimizing the break time.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Bill,
I think Vol 2 is 130 minutes based on a recent reviewer.

You know the more I think about it, the more I think it may be best to wait. I was gonna oprder the region 2 Japanese uncut version, but I dont like the idea of buying Vol 1,2,both cut together.

I think Im gonna wait.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Bill, while any eventual release will certainly be spread over two discs, what I meant was cutting the two movies together completely, not simply removing the credits. I meant a recut of both moves merging material from them together, so it flips back and forth between the two volumes.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

There's nothing to indicate that this was ever intended. As far as anyone knows, the complete "Kill Bill" would be nothing more than the two volumes edited together without the end credits on "Volume I" and the opening credits of "Volume II".

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Exactly. Hence, my statement that if it's just taking out the credits for Vol I, I'll stick to the super edition. IF, however, the movies are reedited, I want to get this release so I have the original theatrical cut.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
What do you mean by the "half-star rating," Joshua_W? Ebert gave Kill Bill a 4 star rating.

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
You know...I got an early copy of Kill Bill. And you know what's really fun? Playing cues from On Her Majesty's Secret Service and You Only Live Twice over the fight scenes. Seriously. Buy yourself a remastered copy of each, and play the OHMSS theme over the Crazy 88 fight. Or you could play "Bobsled Chase" from the OHMSS score or "A Drop in the Ocean" from YOLT over the GoGo fight. They work so well together, its scary. And, they also work well with the overall feel of the rest of the music and movie.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Just so I'm clear on this, the Canadian version of Kill Bill Vol. 1 has not left the DTS track off or anything right? I see there is already a French language track present in addition to the DD5.1/DTS tracks so there shouldn't be a need for any funny business.

Also, Miramax issues all-English text covers to mainly English-speaking regions of Canada right?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Don't count on an all-English cover. Miramax is distributed in Canada by Alliance Atlantis; the good news is, all the Miramax/Dimension titles I own @ this point have simply been the Miramax/Dimension discs with AA artwork, or Miramax/Dimension discs with AA packaging.

James_L

Agent
i wish someone could tell me this also

all the canadian retailers aren't listing the DTS track but the french one in place of it.

Can anyone verifiy the DTS track WILL BE on The canadian version of the film?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks