What's new

Details: Kill Bill: Volume One (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Holy Smokes! What gorgeous DVD covers.

I think I am going to order a few.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Glad you liked it, but I´m a little surprised that you didn´t know about it before. I´ve got another email from Paul and he says that anything he can use would be helpful, so here´s your chance to get the cover you always wanted for this excellent film. Thanks again for helping me out!

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Here´s some artwork that maybe could be used, minus the text lines. I think that the case artwork for the front side and the backside needs to be about the same color, in this case yellow or yellow/black.

I´m not sure if the artwork is detailed enough, but I´ve not found anything with better resolution. It could also be possible to use pictures from the movie. Some suggestions:

Front:

Back:

Front:

Back:

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor
A word of warning to everyone who was a fan of Kill Bill Volume 1. I just saw Volume 2 today at a preview screening and I'm very sorry to say that it doesn't work very well outside the context of Volume 1, as in the full length version. I went with 5 other people, with a broad range of tastes, and the room had maybe 6-7 other people we didn't know... and we all had the same disappointed reaction.

I know there are some of you out there that are waiting until the full cut is available before you see the film. You guys were right all along. If you have the patience to wait for that version, do it. We all regret having had to experience what was essentially just the rest of the movie. Obviously, the House of Blue Leaves chapter in the first volume was a good place to create a stopping point, thereby generating an episodic experience... but in order to try and emulate that for this one they had to...

Create bookends that are silly (breaking the fourth wall), repetitive, dragging (in the same exact scene from the trailer, she recaps the first film... which should be shown, not told), and generally lacks any sort of placement within the narrative itself. In addition, there is this bafflingly needless cast credits for both volumes that preceeds a SECOND cast and full credits bookend.

I warn anyone who has seen Volume 1 to make sure and watch it the very day you see Volume 2, otherwise the subtleties, emotional ties and momentum will be severly weakened. Also, to remain on topic, I want to express to you all that you may not feel like double-dipping for Volume 2 once you see the "film" and opt instead to wait for the full version DVD release.

This might affect your interest in owning Volume 1 on DVD as well, so weigh your choices well. I still agree that it stands well on it's own for mindless entertainment, but none of us (my friends and I) want to get stuck with the second one. Also, I want to mention that there were several scenes missing that were either discussed or shown in the trailers. I know I missed them and I hope they'll see the light of day on later DVDs. Here they are:

The second anime sequence that was discussed and not present here (I independently confirmed was under way through my own sources) might have been the scene Lucy Lui and others discussed as their appearance in this film. Many guessed it would exist as a flashback to further explore the relationship between The Bride and the other assassins. Also, the action sequence with Bill against Michael Jai White was also missing... which unfortunately lowered my expectations for Carradine's character overall. I'm guessing they were cut for time, but I know I sorely missed them.

Anyway, I just want to make sure you guys don't wander into this "film" unprepared and make sure you walk in with the proper context. I'm sure someone will inevitably disagree with my take, but I thought the overwhelming response against it's stand alone identity during the screening warranted a warning. Hope this helped.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Nobody expects it to be a standalone entity. It's "Kill Bill VOLUME II". Everyone knows it was designed to be one movie, not two seperate ones. I don't think anyone is expecting it to not use "Volume I" as a foundation.

Drew Reiber

Supporting Actor

I wasn't disputing that. The audience was made up of film students, critics, general movie fans and some wanderers off the street... but everyone seemed to have a general problem connecting to the film. I'm just saying that it's much harder to enjoy it as a part 2 than you might expect, because the script demands a lot of the part 1 to be extremely fresh in your mind, especially things that didn't appear as important at the time.

As I said, you can take this any way you want. I'm just saying I *believe* the experience will be a much more enjoy enjoyable one if picking up right after finishing off the first half. You can choose to ignore my recommendation, but just about everyone I talked to said it just didn't work when seperated from the first half. It's not like I'm saying the footage was bad, I'm just saying that's pretty much what it was. Who knows, maybe you'll love it to death...

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
i checked out this R1 edition of Kill Bill.somehow i find the black and white censoring a little disturbing. my only hope was for the R3 hong kong edition be in full color but alas, it is not. they were lucky enough to see it in full color on the big screen.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Paul told me that he must do something eccentric for the Kill Bill box, since no one knows how the third film might look, if it comes real. I´m not sure if anyone has posted this quote from Tarantino before, but you could interpret it as there will be a uncut and uncensored Special/Collector´s Edition for both R1 and R2Europe.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
I saw this earlier this morning and it is very interesting. The fact that Tarantino himself owns the rights to the Japanese version could bode well for a R1 dvd release. In any case, seeing the Japanese version of Vol 1 cut together with Vol 2 on the big screen in the U.S. will be great.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Myself, I'm holding out for the eventual deluxe SE boxset, or whatever it will be called. However, I hope we'll get the original US theatrical versions as well as any alternate ones. Seamless branching will allow for that. I may be in the minority, but I quite liked the switch to B&W and it would be a shame if the SE will not include that. Hopefully we'll get both versions.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

The B&W sequences were not done that way for artistic purposes, they were done soley to get an R rating from the MPAA. The switching to B&W is the only way to keep the scene intact while still getting an R. I will never purchase the U.S. release because I don't purchase censored movies. I can't wait for my Japanese DVD to arrive!

Jeff

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't it just some parts of Asia that got the "uncensored" version? The B&W version is the version seen all over the world except those parts of Asia. If the U.S. was the only country that got the B&W then I would think it was an MPAA issue, but Europe (where alot of the countries are liberal about such things) also got the B&W cut. It just seems that Tarantino wanted Asia to see the full color version, at least at first. I would think he would have been able to get the full color version released in at least some parts of Europe , but I could be wrong.

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
All that guy Paul would have to do to get ultra-high resolution is download some covers posted at dvdcoverart.com. Whether totally original or just using poster art the resolution of just the front of the cover is 2175 x 1534.

Here are a couple examples. Remember, this is just a preview, the real cover is massive and could easily be used to make one of those boxes.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

The script specificaly stated that this scene switched into B&W and then back to color. It was written so before anything was ever shot, etc.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
If you read this article http://davisdvd.com/news/rumors.html Tarantino said that there was a "special version" that was shown only in Hong Kong and Japan. I don't really think that means that the version the rest of the world got was "cut", it's just that he prepared a special version for Japan and Hong Kong.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Personally, I -like- the switch to black and white. I don't care if it was put there for artistic reasons, or practical rating reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks