What's new

Denon settings (1 Viewer)

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
As promised, I am back.

To recap, I bought an AVR-1513 receiver and I purchased the Yamaha NS-SP1800BL speaker system to compliment it. Everything came in today and everything is hooked up and working great..........sorta

Once I got everything hooked up, I revisited the speaker set up option screens and, uh, I'm lost!! I was looking through the user manual but it shows you how to listen to the tuner, cd's, dvd's etc. Nothing on how to correctly set up the speaker levels and what not.

This is where I come to you. Can anyone help me on setting my system up so I get the most out of each speaker?

I saw the db levels for each speaker but have no clue where they should be.

i would appreciate any help you can provide

thank you again
Shawn

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
what is the reason for that?
are you saying every thing should be set at 150hz? or is there an option for "crossover"?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All of the speakers use a 2.5" midrange.(yeah the center has two...)

That is the general limit of frequency for a speaker that size.

The crossover is in the speaker setup.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
i THINK I may have found a Denon user guide that explains each setting option......Im gonna read through it and hope it makes sense.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
Ok. After going through the user manual, it shows me how to adjust all settings as I feel fit. But it doesn't tell me where the settings should be. Can anyone help me? I did set the speakers at 150hz

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I went to Yammy and they changed up their website(no idea why) and couldn't download the manual for the speaker set. All Yamaha gives in "specs" is the total frequency response. Yay.

Like I already said...

2.5" midrange usually only goes to 150hz...at best. 200hz maybe.

Pick one. The one that sounds best to your ears.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
But I'm still stumped on which dvd rating each speaker should be at. I can give it a level of a negative dvd or a positive dvd........I want the best sound. I notice the subwoofer also has a volume control. Right now I have it at 50%

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The volume level between "speaker sets" (not counting the sub) should be 0. However, if you are half the distance from the surrounds as the front stage, you might lower the rears 3db. Maybe up to 5db. You "never" raise.

Since 99% of people suck at hearing differences in SPL...
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Digital-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B001THX3M0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389411843&sr=8-1&keywords=spl+meter (get one...any one. read a few reviews for decent quality as this is simply "the first one that came up")

Sit in your chair. Hold that above your head(helps if your SPL meter has a "peak hold") and run through the pink noise and raise/lower each speaker till all 5 are at the same SPL...AT YOUR SEAT. Nobody can tell you what DB to raise/lower unless we were there in your living room doing this for you.

crankbait09

Agent
Real Name
Shawn
I see. Makes sense. .......Like I said I'm new to all this and am used to the plug n play things that are ready to go from the start (htib) thank you for your help. ......... (You seem to be on here a lot! :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks