What's new

denon 3805 OR marantz 7400 ? (1 Viewer)

Nauman

Agent
just when out to get my home theater,the denon 3805 went out of stock. so the dealer gave me 7400 for now.the difference in price is merely $33.

i havent demoed 3805 before, so i was curious to know that how wud it compare with 7400 considering the following:

*HT and 2-channel music
*features
*room EQ vs manual SPL calibration.
*which one of those 2 receivers would prove to be a good pre/pro if/when I add an external 5 channel amp.
*remotes
*amp section of both

so far im pleased with the performance of marantz but if im getting more features without any compromise on sound (both for HT and 2-channel music), then i shud be going for the denon.

almost forgot; my 5.1 SETUP.
paradigm studio 20's v.3 fronts
CC-570 center
studio 20's side surround
servo-15

any suggestions,comments,advices would be greatly appreciated :)

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Haven't heard the 7400, but I love my 3805.

The first thing that strikes me in the specs is 105 watts for the 7400 vs. 120 watts for the 3805.

I don't see a full auto setup/calibration feature on the 7400...the auto-setup feature on the 3805 is excellent and verifies polarity and adjusts crossover and eq settings, delay settings, set levels (obviously)...the whole package. I enjoy tweaking as the next HT nut, but this is a really nice feature. Plug in a mic...hit a button and sit back and relax. I had to do very minimal tweaking after the setup was complete. Feel like checking the setup again after a few weeks...no sweat...plug in a mic...hit a button...ect.

If you use a compatible Denon universal player (I have the 3910) you can use a single cable to connect all of the digital audio...now this even includes SACD with a download from Denon.

I don't see the equivelant on the 7400, but the 3805 has Pure Direct mode for audio which disables all of the peripheral circuitry including the front panel display. I had my doubts about this, but this creates an amazing difference for real audiophile listening. I was really blown away by the increase in clarity.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm a Marantz guy, but for $33, I'd rather have the 3805. The 7400 is last year's model and was recently selling NEW for $625 from an authorized dealer.

Nauman

Agent
thanks guys! .so its most likely tat ill give marantz back when the denon arrives at this price and features.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

True that. However, I think it will cost $100 more. The HDMI switching will be a nice option for those who want/need it.

However, like all new products, the receiver might trickle into the market with many retailers just receiving small allocations at first. It could be nearly the start of November before most people can get their hands on it.

Nauman

Agent
well i didnt mention that im from Pakistan, and here the 3806 will arrive most probably in the 2nd quarter of 2006. so ill be more than happy to get even 3805 which by the way took 2 months to get here.

im still curious abt the sound (2-chnl and HT)of both 3805 and 7400, has ne one done a side by side listening of both, if yes then i wud love to know the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.