What's new

New Receiver or add amp (1 Viewer)

Bill.J

Auditioning
I'm trying to decide the best way to upgrade my HT. I want to get the best movie sound possible and music second.
Movie 80 %
Music 20 %

Current system

Hitachi 51F510
Denon 3200 receiver
Need DVD Current JVC dual scan
Vandersteen 1C front
Vandersteen VCC 1 center
Vandersteen VSM rear
SVS PB 10-isd sub

I'm not sure the best way to go, either add a amp to the 3200 or get a new receiver. The 3200 is getting old and probably doesn't have the latest chips for 5.1 or 7.1 movies to get the best experience.

Everything I have read says go separates but can I make the 3200 work with an amp or should I totally upgrade. Help

Amps I'm looking at and listened to:
Budget 1000 - 1500 max

Used ATI 2005 or 1805
Adcom GFA 7605
Rotel RMB 1075

Receivers: I am leaning toward the marantz with the Vandys.
Denon 3805
Pioneer 56txi
Marantz 7400

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
Chances are ANY decent quality receiver will work quite well. You don't need all that much power, especially when you have a sub-woofer. Unless you are constantly overdriving your receiver/amplifer into clipping more amplifer power will gain you absolutely nothing.

Bill.J

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies.

It is now down to the Marantz 7400 and adding an Adcom 7605 or 7700.

On the av123 forum everyone is talking about the emotiva UL separates coming out. Would it be worth going that route as they will fall in my budget or just chose a receiver or amp to go with the 3200 ?

Thanks for any help.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Since your mainly watching movies I would go for a new receiver with all of the latest surround formats and processing.

Scott Goldsmith

Stunt Coordinator
I will chime in here, I just made this decision.

I currently run a Pioneer Elite VSX53TX and added a Rotel RMB 1095 to my setup, and let me tell you this, that Rotel made my system 100x's better for ALL viewing, movies and music. There's SO much more detail, soundstage, fullness, clarity, etc than my Elite could EVER try to create. See my post down the page, "Rotel RMB 1095 Review and Pics".

I would go with an amp ANY day over a new receiver, you can always add a new processor down the road. If your receiver does Dolby Digital then you are fine, most movies are DD and few are DTS, no need for anything else right now. You would regret not knowing what a seperate amp can do for your sytstem. I would NEVER go back to anything else besides seperates, I plan to replace the Elite with the Rotel RSP 1098 and then my system will be INCREDIBLE!! It's SOOOOOO amazing right now I can't even begin to tell you how much I love it, I have never experienced home theater like this before.

So my advice, go with a GOOD amp now, add a processor later and be done. I can get Parasound amps for you if you want, shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Paul S

Stunt Coordinator
Bobby T is quite correct, a good receiver has so many features/conveniences/flexibility that it would make an excellent choice for your application.

Shiu

Second Unit
For watching movies, I think it will be hard to tell the sound difference between one of those receivers you named and a combo of those receivers and an amp. There are always those who claimed they could hear a big difference so the only way to find out is listen for yourself first if possible.

Bill.J

Auditioning
I want to thank everyone for their imput. You all have been a big help. Now to decide!

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I disagree, if you are happy with the sound you have from your receiver, adding an amp will only enhance that quality of sound.

A lot of times people mistake the lack of good quality sound for a lack of features on the processor when in reality its just the lack of power from it. I'm with Scott, I am getting the Rotel RMB-1095 this weekend and it sounds (from what Scott has said) will make a big difference. I have currently the Yamaha RX-v1400 and love the quality of sound, but knew I was missing out on what a nice powered AMP can give me. I'm going to play around with it and try Bi-amping the fronts to see how they do vs. using the 1095 to power all 5 speakers. :)

If your receiver does DD/DTS, getting the receiver will help, but if you get the amp and use that, it'll make a big improvement on what you already have. Then later down the line, you can just get a pre-processor and not even have to worry about a receiver.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Just thought I would throw this idea out.........I would definitly get the amp, but, I would then sell the reciever that you currently have and then use the money to purchase somthing along the lines of a Yamaha HTR5760 for $350 shipped from ebay. You would have the power and headroom of the outboard amp and still have all the latest processing capabilities.

I am actually planning to go with a simular setup myself. I currently have the HTR 5760 and am using the internal amps. I am planning to add extrnal amplification over the next year.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I have been considering this same sort of upgrade. I already have a Denon 3803 driving my Paradigm Studio speakers but would like to improve on the sound.

This is a really stupid question, but if you already have a basic receiver like the 3803, how does it connect to the new AMP such as the Rotel mentioned? I looked at the back panel of the Rotel on their web site and was unsure on how I'd hook it up to my Denon. Thanks for the help guys...

PJ

joseFMJ

Stunt Coordinator
You would need pre amp outs to drive an external amp. And RCA to either 1/4 or XLR adapters. 1/4 adapters are more easily available, or you can customize a cable with RCA on one end and 1/4 on the other. My Hafler P505 has the same type inputs as the Rotel.

joseFMJ

Stunt Coordinator
I am heading down that road also. I just purchased a new receiver with all the latest features, even though I swore my next purchase would have been a separate prepro...but most of the prepros I liked was a bit higher priced than I wanted to spend at this time, so I opted for the receiver(a pioneer1014-all of 450$) as a prepro. I have only had the new receiver for 10days, still familiarizing myself with the settings and features, using it as is, internal amps and all. I have several 'vintage' power amps on hand for outboard amplification. My stand alone stereo system is biamped, so I probably will use that as the fronts. Three Hafler P505 250W per/ch stereo amps, plus a bridged Adcom555 for the sub woofer, and another Adcom555 II(modified as mono blocks). Should make for quite an experience.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Ok, I think I have the correct pre-outs...

This is what my Denon has:

Pre-out Jacks: This receiver has a total of 10 pre-out level RCA jacks for the following channels: Front left and right, Center, Subwoofer, Surround left and right, Surround Back/Zone 2 left and right, and Zone 2 left and right. These jacks allow you to connect the outputs to integrated amplifiers or powered speakers. Note: When the Power Amp Assignment for the Surround Back channels is set to "Zone 2", the pre-out signal for the selected Zone 2 source is output through the Surround Back/Zone left and right outputs. When the Power Amp Assignment is set to "Surround Back", the pre-out signal for the selected Zone 2 source is output through the Zone 2 left and right outputs.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
You can actually have both. First, get a receiver that has ALL of the latest processing capability (as already mentioned, the Yamaha 5760 can be had for $350 shipped). I guarantee you that sooner than later, you'll want to experience PLIIx and DTS-ES and other formats that can really enhance the listening experience for HT. That leaves you $650-$1150 to get an amp from the used or new market (preferably used). This way you can have your cake, and eat it too. Like it was said earlier, you don't need gobs and gobs of power from an expensive amp to experience much better sound. If you give us your room size, we can help you find the adequate wattage amp for your listening area.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
>"I guarantee you that sooner than later, you'll want to experience PLIIx and DTS-ES and other formats that can really enhance the listening experience for HT."

I just don't agree with this. My first few years in HT, I fell for the "buy the latest acronym" scam that the manufacturers put out. They add gimmicks to receivers without substantially improving the sound quality and try to entice you to buy them. Once I invested in really quality separate components, and heard the real, substantial, undeniable difference in sound quality, I lost all interest in DD this or DTS that. When you have sound quality that, each time you listen, makes you say, "Wow ..." then you just lose the desire/interest in the latest carrot Dolby dangles out there.

Elinor

Supporting Actor
Perry, my preamp has Prologic and DTS. DD was promised as an "upgrade" when I purchased it years ago, but the company folded without ever releasing the upgrade. (Moral: never trust vaporware promises.)

Still, it does Prologic so good, I have just never felt the lack of DD. I know it is hard to believe that Prologic can sound good ... you would have to hear it to believe it.

Can you really say that you liked any particular movie better because the rear channels were discrete and "full range"? Seriously. I enjoy mono movies on VHS sometimes as much as the eye candy blockbuster ones, because for me it is often more about the content.

Still, I do like the big visual and sound effects from time to time.

Mostly my point is, Dolby and DTS will keep coming up with new formats not to substantially improve sound quality, but to sell more units. Considering the abominable conditions in which most of us put our gear, 9.1 channels as opposed to 7.1 as opposed to 5.1, just is not going to make that much difference. 7.1 channels through a $500 HTIB isn't going to begin to approach the sound quality of Prologic in a $15k system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks