DC price drop

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Morgan Jolley, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...803850,00.html
    Let me sum it up:
    As of August 12, DC-$79.95, Controller-$14.95, VMU-$9.95
    There will be cheaper prices on the hardware bundles, like the new sports pack and the sonic pack. You can get a black DC, NFL 2K1, NBA 2K1, World Series 2K1 for $99.95.

2. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Sega needed to do something to help move systems,and I think this isn't the last straw either. Every time I go into work at my local TRU, I look around & see all the PS2's,DC's,and 5 different versions of N64. (Never mind the GBC's,GBA's,PSones,etc.)
    With X-Box & Gamecube both coming up,with the aforementioned systems, you are looking at a total of 8 different systems that will be fighting for shelf space. Something has got to give...by Christmas I predict that both most of the N64s,the DC's, and MAYBE the PSone's will be $50. I won't even touch the game prices either - I just know that every week it seems some more DC games fall in price.
    So,in conclusion, what this means is that this year will be the best time for gaming! Lots of product, decent games at good prices...what more could you ask for?????
    Calvin
    PS: I am asking for more money from my job,and the only things I want for Christmas are DVD's & Games......soooooooo many choices...not enough cash...dream that Powerball dream!!!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

3. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Again I say, my poor, poor DC...
    -Andre F
    ------------------
    -= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Wow. They do this two days after I buy a Dreamcast Sonic pack for $120.
    Still, I'm enjoying Q*Bert, even if Sonic Adventure seems too fast for a human being to play. Not like I don't feel I'm getting my money's worth.

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    The $79 DC price was reported in trades a couple of weeks ago. The same reports predicted that, depending on remaining inventory levels, the DC will plummet to $49.99 in late November - early December. So, literally, for the price of a cartridge, you can pick up a system! [​IMG]
    Gary
    ------------------

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Jason, bring in your receipt & the retailer should refund you the difference.
    BTW: The price cuts are good on the colored VMU's and controllers too. =)
    -Dave
    ------------------
    DVD List
    [Edited last by Dave F on August 12, 2001 at 01:23 PM]

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I have found the only good reason to keep my dreamcast hooked up. DC Nester. I've got 600 roms burned on a cd (of course I really only play the games that I had since I used to have a TON of game for my NES). Good fun...Played dodge ball, metroid, bionic commando, and zelda today...ahhh...memories.
    ------------------
    Michael Alletto
    Mike's DVD List

8. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Maybe it's time now that I buy a DreamCast? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
    My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
    "I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Now if only the DC could get some good software to go out with (I'm saying that the release schedule from now on sucks, not the existing library).

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

11. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Jason,
    Where'd you buy it? The Best Buys, CompUSA, Circuit City's, etc. around here all offer 14 or 30 day price guarantees...
    ------------------
    "If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

12. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

13. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I've just removed two posts regarding emulation software. Steven, Morgan, take that up in private if need be, the whole thing breaks into the anti-piracy laws we have here.
    The DC at that price is a STEAL, they recently did the same here in the hope to get rid of all their existing stock in stores. People are often finding the console with a game for £50 (despite the recommended price drop here being £90), it's incredible. I'm hoping to go on a shopping spree soon, grab me some games and peripherals.
    Dan (UK)

14. BrianB

BrianB Producer

15. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Seaman has been $19.99 around here for quite some time now, and I believe Grandia II just hit that mark, so there are plenty of quality DC games for less than $20.
    As far as the $49.99 price goes, I'm betting on it, just in time for Christmas. That would move the systems and free up the shelf space for X-Box & GameCube, not to mention an impact on sales of those systems. It's just a shame that there isn't more on the way for the Dreamcast at this point, because the installed base could probably sustain new software sales for some time to come. A pity too, I was hoping that after Agetec had brough Last Blade 2 over, they'd bring Garou: Mark of the Wolves stateside. Oh well...
    Really though, I don't see how anyone is going to move the Pichaku N64 units. That's got to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen, simply hideous, and at $49 already, they don't seem to be selling out any time soon.

16. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

When I was in Wal-Mart the other day, here in Sunny Mississauga, I noticed that Dreamcasts were selling for 14 dollars less than PS Ones! I thought to myself "Woah momma!" and did a Jonny Bravo style double take.