What's new

Crowns for teeth? Painful? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I had a root canel with no drugs. Its the most painful thing I have ever benn through.
i was going to come here and tell my root canal horror story, but hearing this, mine wont scare anyone. i truly feel for you. anyway, my numbing agent didnt work, or wore off, and they had to inject more directly into the nerve. directly into the nerve. directly. they had to do it a couple times too, because i didnt get numb enough on the first couple times. hearing about brian's encounter, this may not sound painful, and in comparison, it isnt. but its the most pain ive encountered in my 25 years of life. being the huge hulking block of man-meat that i am, i dont usually tear up with pain, but i certainly did that day. i cant imagine how painful it would be without numbing at all, i'm sure i would have passed out.

CJ

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Paul. I think you got yourself into more than you need with this thread. For one thing, if you had an abscess, you would already be in more pain than you would experience during the dental work. I have never had a root canal, but my father has had several and he swears it is no big deal. I think as long as the dentist is skilled, you won't have a problem. If you do need a root canal, you should seriously consider going to an oral surgeon for that part instead. Dentists are really not ideal for that level of work. Any doctor who would perform a root canal without anesthetic shouldn't be practicing.

The closest I came to a crown was getting what's called an inlay. My tooth was cracked, but the entire crack was below the gum surface. The inlay was something like a filling, except it is actually a piece of cast stone material that is bonded into the tooth. It took 2 trips to the dentist for the entire procedure and the most unpleasant part was the injections, which aren't actually that painful. It just creeps the hell out of me getting shots in the roof of my mouth, gums and lip. The dentist did hit a nerve once with the needle, which gave me a nice electrical shock.

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
I agree, I've had three and I like you were concerned due to horror stories like some mentioned in this thread. But the procedure was no more painful than any other dental procedure.

Relax and say aahhh. ;)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I just had a gold crown placed on two weeks ago. My dentist is one of my close friends and he really knows what he's doing. No pain whatsoever. I got a gold one because its the rear most molar and because gold ones are thinner than porcelain ones which means he grinds away less tooth to be able to put one on. So, if its the back go for gold but if its the front, porcelain is the only way to go.

Root canals are only required if you have teeth that are extremely sensitive. The root canal procedures is the dentist drilling down the middle of your tooth and basically getting rid of all the nerve root inside your tooth. Its tougher for rear teeth that may have 3 roots that go all different directions but a front tooth should be pretty easy. But, its only needed if you have sensitivity problems with the tooth.

Patrick

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Shoot, for the past few days, I have had some discomfort in a crown when eating certain items (meat or half cooked veggies). I think that this crown was put in late last year by my previous dentist. Earlier this year, I needed a new dentist since my previously one decided to increase his standard fees by 15%.

Dave

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I'm also into the business of making crowns whether it be porcelain fixed to metal, or full porcelain. The latter kind is used on the "front" teeth, from the incisors to the premolars while the former for the rest.
I have crowns on all 4 corners of my mouth and frankly they feel great. ;)

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
How about sedation dentistry, I need some MAJOR work done on my mouth and have had a few horrible experiences w/ dentists. Anyone have any experience with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks