What's new

Tooth extraction (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Got home a few minutes ago from having one of my top right molars extracted. I didn't think the dentist was ever going to get that sucker pulled. He ended up cutting it into three pieces just to get it out. It's the first conscious extraction I have ever had done and it was absolutly painless. (Four years ago, I had seven teeth extracted by an oral surgeon so I could get braces, but I was asleep for the whole process.)

Here goes my story: When I was a kid, I got a small cavity and the dentist drilled the entire tooth out and filled it. Fast forward about sixteen years. Seven months ago, the back of the tooth broke off while I was eating and part of the filling also broke. At the time I had only a part time job with no insurance so I figured I would wait to have it fixed because it wasn't hurting.

That silly idea changed last Friday night. I awoke to the sensation of someone working my jaw/cheek area over with a 9-iron. I didn't sleep a wink all night or the next night. Luckily, my girlfriend had just had surgery (she's doing much better now by the way) and I nabbed a couple of her pain pills to help me cope with the pain. My head hurt all weekend and I looked like I was smuggling acorns because my cheek was so swollen. My mom was able to get me in to see her dentist first thing Monday morning and he gave me some antibiotics and Vicodin and told me to come back in a week and we'd see if we could save the tooth. The plan was to perform a full root canal, anchor the tooth to my jawbone, reconstruct the tooth then crown it. I spoke with the office manager after my appointment and we went over my options and the cost. To do the afore mentioned work would be a multi-session process and cost a bit over $1300. Since money is tight, and my job pays a bit less than the average Kathy-Lee Gifford sweat shop, I opted for a routine extraction which only set me back $74.

I wish I had been able to save it since I'm only 28, but I figure I can always go back in a couple years and have a bridge made to fill in the gap so I can chew more efficiently on that side.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Oye!! Owe!

I hear you, man. I had a wisdom tooth that came in early, and got infected. I couldn't even open my mouth. Luckily, I was living with my parents and they had EXCELLENT insurance, the kind I wish I had now (instead of abysmal, which is my insurance company).

Best of luck to you. Glad it was painless!

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, your story scares me - the back of my molar just broke off a few days ago while eating, and its not hurting. I thought it would be ok, but I made an appt for the dentist for this week. :)

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
I Feel your pain! 2 years ago I broke a molar and had to have it crowned cost around $500. It stated hurting a few weeks ago and is real sensitive to cold. I'm half way in the process of having a root canal done right now that has cost $850 so far! I believe that Taking care of your teeth is the best investment you can make in yourself. I try to stress that to my kids so maybe they won't have some of the same problems I've had

Greg

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Clinton,

"someone having worked over my jawbone with a 9 iron"...i actually got hit with a 9 iron, boy did it suck...my brother hit me and broke my jaw, so i know what that feels like...subsequently had my surgeries, so i feel your pain in the worst way...although i had insurance through my parents, so i didn't have to have a wallet-ectomy

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Well so far, no pain. :D I'm staying away from hard crunchy foods for a few days and eating a lot of soup and softer things. The dentist didn't restrict my diet but I'm wary of dry socket so I'm taking it easy for a few days. Thanks for all the replies!

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Did the dentist say whether the missing tooth will affect your other teeth? I had heard that the surrounding (and opposite) teeth help keep the others in place, but maybe that's only to protect in case you ate something hard at a weird angle.

On a related topic, what is the biological purpose of baby teeth? Were our ancestors breaking off too many teeth so that eventually a second set evolved? Are there other parts of the body that are like that (i.e., baby/adult versions)?

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Clinton,

I'm faced with the same thing right now. My boken tooth started hurting me after 20 years, so I went in. (It was actually killing me, no sleep, the whole 9 yards) Turns out, the xray they showed me, shows decay in the broken tooth, and a crooked anchor in the crown next to it. Double-whammy! I need a root-canal, and a bridge. The dentist that gave me a crown 10 years ago did a hack-job. The achor is now going into my nerves. Not sure if the pain was from that, or the decay in the broken tooth. Got some antibiotics, and pain medicine. The pain killers didn't do shit. I finally found relief from the antibotics a week later.:D

I'm also not sure I can do anything about the quack that fucked up my tooth. Now it's dead, and needs to be pulled. I think I'll just skip on the bridge. I'm 29, and care for my teeth, but have my Father's genes. His teeth are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks