What's new

OWwwwwww..... (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This morning was my day of reckoning, I got "processed" for 2 crowns of my bottom right molars.

The sound of the drill and the varying pitch as it was pressed into my molars is not a sound you ever get used to. Since I was numbed in that area, I didn't feel much pain, but the sound and smell with bits of tooth landing on my face was not a fun experience.

Having to take mold impressions of my upper teeth and lower teeth, with the hygenist applying pressure for 5 minutes on the mold tray to my teeth, I was grateful that I didn't need to sneeze because I might have bitten off her fingers.

My jaw is nice and sore from keeping it open for 2 hours. They made some temporary crowns, and it was painful to bite down for 5 minutes straight to apply pressure was the cement glue dried. I know I'll be sore once the novacaine wears off. When I talk, I sound like a blabberer.

Next month I get the permanent crowns.

Feel my pain...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
My sympathies, Patrick, but as the song says, "You've only just begun." I've lost count of the number of crowns I've had done. Then there are root canals, bridge work and various oral surgeries with unpronounceable names. I think I bought my dentist a boat.

Keep Tylenol handy. It'll help when the novocaine wears off.

M.

Kurt B

Stunt Coordinator
OUCH!!!
I feel your pain. I never had crowns, but recently underwent some jaw bone grafting work. Soft foods for two weeks was probably the worst part of it :angry:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The dentist had to scrape a bit of infected gum tissue away, I'm starting to feel the pain of exposed gum tissue tingling. I knew I should have eaten a large meal last night...

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
GOOD GOD!!!!!
I've only had a cavity filled and a couple of seals, I am very sorry you have to go through that!!
I was under the impression that Dentistry had come a long way since it's primative beginnings.
I can't even read "scraping gum tissue" without wincing.
Again, you have my deepest sympathies.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Been there. I had a cavitey filled when I was a wee-lad. Well, one day the tooth broke so in I went. The overall experience was not too bad.
Sorry to hear Pat. Keep your chin up:) it will be over soon.
Peace Out~:D

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Just keep telling yourself "The alternative is a figure skate and a big rock. The altnerative is a figure skate and a big rock."

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
You had to wait for the crown to harden? That's too bad. The stuff my dentist uses hardens instantly when UV light is shone on it.

Greg

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Oh, the dentist also used the UV light to heat it up and dry it up, but the temp crown required the cement glue to set, thus the pressure for those long 5 minutes.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Why don't you just rebel against your dentists. C'mon, don't you ever wonder if you really even need all of these ridiculously painful and expensive procedures that you don't understand? They make them so complicated so you'll be too puzzled to question them and then just say you need something expensive done when they want a new car or something. You know it's true. ;)

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Andrew, you're saying we don't need dentists? What are you, British?

(With apologies to all Brits, save maybe Steve Christou)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a huge fan of dentists, either. There's always that internal conflict of interest- between my best interests and their wallets.:)
I decided to put my theory to the test, one time. Went for my cleaning and X-ray, and he said I had a cavity on the end of one of my teeth. OK- I blew him off, and never went back to get it filled.
Next year, I went back. This time, no cavity. Hmm.
That was a few years ago. I haven't been in a few years, but I think I see a small discoloration forming around one of my old fillings (not the one from the X-ray- that was on the other side of my mouth). No pain, though. One of these days I'll get around to going, but I'm in no hurry. I brush, I floss, I don't have stained teeth (no Coke, coffee, smoking, etc.), so I don't feel compelled to go that often.
Hope I don't need crowns, ever, though. OUCH!
Todd

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
The dentist has always been my most feared appointment. I am an unapologetic whimp when it comes to even cleanings. Since I moved back to this area, I am going to one who is a neighbor and family friend.

I need to have several old fillings removed and replaced. When he started the first one, he gave me Nitrous Oxide, and man I loved that. I tried to regulate myself by breathing through my mouth at times, so I didn't get as far out as he had intended. Did I mention I am a control freak, too?

The effect was wonderful. I have total recollection of what was done, but I was 110% relaxed and at ease the whole time. I loved it, and can't wait for the next appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks