What's new

There have Been Several Threads Regarding Eyes/Eyeglasses; So How About Dental Care? (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Boy, oh boy, for about three years I've been having constant dental distress. I've had several root canals, and several crowns. (I'm 49 years old, BTW.) The dentists will barely finish work in one area of my mouth, and then I'll start feeling pain in a different area. The expense is hardly a comfort either. My insurance covers about $1,500 per year; after that, all expenses are out-of-pocket.

I guess I'm lucky to still have all of my own teeth; I just keep hoping each major procedure will be the last procedure -- at least for a while.

Doe anybody else have 'dental distress' stories to share?

Jim_F

Screenwriter
There have been perio issues, a bicycle accident, and a couple of secondary teeth that were "naturally" missing (now implants) plus wisdom teeth extraction and normal wear and tear. Perio care includes four cleanings per year, two at the periodontist office. Scaling and planing every couple years. At least one more implant is on the horizon, but not yet imminent.

Between insurance and out of pocket I've got to be closing in on 6 figures of enrichment for dentists, periodontists and oral surgeons. I joke that I'm one of few people I know who can hold a whole boat in their mouth.

It's been a pain, literally and figuratively, but so far only only the wisdom teeth and one peg lateral incisor (from the bike accident) have been lost. With porcelain crowns (another result of the bike accident) my restorations look much better than the original equipment.

Good luck, Dave, I know it's no fun.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
I'll be the first to admit I havent taken good care of my teeth but aside bad teeth run in family. I just turned 34 on December 10th and already have false teeth for my whole top plate(given the options it was cheaper to have them all pulled then have what work was recommended, even this was 2700 dollars most expensive option was 7500). Don't feel like your the lone ranger, after my front tooth was fixed a total of 3 times anywheres from 300 to 100 dollars a pop it is a no brainer. I have to have some teeth removed on the bottom and probably have to get a partial but what are you going to do? You have a root canal and you get a cavitiy(theres no guarantee you wont) and all the money you spent is out the window when you have it pulled.

I feel for you man.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Have all my own teeth, other than missing my wisdom teeth and whatever the ones are behind your canines. Had them removed for spacing purposes when I had braces in my early teens.

Had my first and I hope only root canal this past summer at age 48. Was terrified, having heard all sorts of horror stories. Turned out to be nothing, completely painless.

On the other hand, the pain and agony from the infection/swelling leading up to the root canal were unimaginable. Got the standard extra strength hydrocodone/tylenol mix which did nothing. Honestly didn't even think to ask for anything else. Doctor said there were much powerful things he could have given me, I should have let him know.

Haven't had a filling in over 30 years. Finally had the few ugly silver ones replaced with white strictly for vanity. Other than three onlays (partial crowns) I'm doing fine so far.

Started using a Sonicare brush about 5-6 years ago and am pretty sure it has been extremely helpful in keeping things healthy. I should be doing a lot more to care for my teeth, but so far good genes seem to be helping.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
In the 32 years I have been alive, I have had

6 cavaties filled

1 root canal

2 chipped teeth (fell on an icy sidewalk, bit something hard)

I've been pretty lucky as far as my teeth go. They are straight, white and all my own, minus the one I had replaced after the root canal). My gums are a whole other situation. My teeth on the bottom don't have much space in between that I have trouble flossing them. So needless to say they get swollen and red often.

I use a manual toothbrush because I found the electric ones made my teeth feel weird (something about the vibration in my mouth *insert perverse joke here*). I use a templex flosser because it is easier for me to use instead of trying to wind the floss around my fingers. I use Crest Prohealth mouthwash and toothpaste.

Wow I feel as though I have just shared too much information!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks