What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
As one of most acclaimed and recognized figures of American literature, Mark Twain’s works have undoubtedly been mined for several film adaptations. Among the works filmed for the big screen include The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938), The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1960) and The Prince and the Pauper (1937), just to list a few right off the bat; the latter would be filmed again by the Salkinds in the 1970’s, this time under the title of Crossed Swords. Previously released on DVD by Lionsgate, Kino has licensed the film from Studiocanal for its Blu-ray debut.

Crossed Swords (1977)

Released: 17 Mar 1978
Rated: PG
Runtime: 113 min

Director: Richard Fleischer
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Family

Cast: Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Mark Lester, Ernest...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I think you meant 1 hour 53 minutes. 1 hour 13 minutes would have been pretty strange unless it was a pre-code talkie.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
This film was going to be the last shown at Radio City Music Hall before demolition. I saw it there in March 1978 and still have a program that states this would be the final attraction at the venue. Thank God Radio City was saved from the wrecking ball the following month. I need to revisit this title. Thanks for the review Mychal.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
4/12/78
rc3.jpg

5/18/78
rc4.jpg

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I went to see Fantasia there. A very beautiful presentation. Either it has been cut since then(The Nutcracker and Pastorale) or has been deemed problematic. And it had been cut already in the 60s I believe due to offensive stereotypes.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Mychal:

Thank you for the terrific review of Crossed Swords; I can't wait to pick this up during one of Kino's sales. I have the Errol Flynn version from 1937 on DVD which I enjoy. Disney first aired their version of The Prince and the Pauper as three 50-minute television episodes on the Disneyland TV show titled The Pauper King, The Merciful Law of the King, and Long Live the Rightful King on 3/11/62, 3/18/62, and 3/25/62. It starred Sean Scully and Guy Williams. It was also released theatrically overseas in an edited 93-minute version.. This 93-minute version is currently available on Disney+ and Amazon Prime. Sadly, Disney never released the complete 150-minute television version on DVD and Blu-ray in Region 1/A. I always hoped the 150-minute version would have received a Walt Disney Treasures release or at least a Disney Movie Club Exclusive release.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I wonder why recent releases of this film are in mono, when for years I had a VHS release in genuine stereo. I'm sorry I didn't hang on to it. I was surprised and disappointed when I bought the DVD and out came mono sound. I'm fond of this movie but it's hard to accept mono when I know there are, or were, stereo tracks out there somewhere.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I saw this as a child in theatres and remember getting a kick out of the connections to the Musketeers films, which I saw at the drive-in. I doubt it has aged very well, but would likely still be entertaining.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I wonder why recent releases of this film are in mono, when for years I had a VHS release in genuine stereo. I'm sorry I didn't hang on to it. I was surprised and disappointed when I bought the DVD and out came mono sound. I'm fond of this movie but it's hard to accept mono when I know there are, or were, stereo tracks out there somewhere.
You needn’t worry. The Kino Blu-ray is in fact in stereo. Funny, I thought I posted that correction here when I bought the disc last month.

mark-edk

Second Unit
You needn’t worry. The Kino Blu-ray is in fact in stereo. Funny, I thought I posted that correction here when I bought the disc last month.
I read the review and went straight to complain about the mono sound without checking the other comments. Sorry about that. But happy to know I can finally hear this movie in stereo again. Thank you so much.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
You can tell the cinematic touchs of the Musketter series, which are all fun romps with great details and ambiance. But as good as the presentaion was, my heart goes out to the 1937 Errol Flynn version. Thanks you so much for this insiteful review!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks