What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Double Indemnity (1944) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We've been talking about this since last Tuesday, and the length of the thread indicates that there is a lot of interest in this release.

Amazon sure is taking a while with their pre-orders.

I don't mean that this is a problem, since the disc isn't coming out until the end of May,, but it seems like they usually get those up and running pretty quickly after announcement. So this is pretty unusual. They have product pages up for it but aren't taking orders yet.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I could be wrong, but I would think there shouldn't be nearly enough to gain (PQ-wise) over the old BD on a 55" display from "normal" viewing distances. Certainly not nearly enough to rush to get it instead of waiting for the usual sales a couple months later...

_Man_
Very true. That is why I'm looking good at the price.
If, If? I can find it at an ok price. I will pick it up.
If not. I will sit tight. I have a hand full on my to-get list.
In 4K. It's all about the price.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
The Dobbs/Redman commentary on the Universal Blu-ray is illuminating, so it's a shame Criterion couldn't bring it over. Dobbs in particular is brimming with information about the film and its various creative influences and contributors. He's breathless enough in his enthusiasm that the film kind of fades into the background. I also appreciated the thoughtful exploration of the film's connection (or lack thereof) to WWII and film noir in general.

The Schickel commentary is good and covers some of the same ground, but is not quite as penetrating, IMO. The 1973 movie is a fun lark, but really not much of a loss.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What a year for buffs of Billy Wilder and the 4K/UHD format.

Thus far:
The Apartment - 4K:UHD - Kino Lorber
Double Indemnity - 4K/UHD - Criterion
Some Like It Hot - 4K/UHD - Kino Lorber

Seems by the order of things listed here, Criterion could balance out the scales with a nice 4K/UHD release of Sunset Boulevard or Sabrina. Anyone else agree?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

Thus far:

Seems by the order of things listed here, Criterion could balance out the scales with a nice 4K/UHD release of Sunset Boulevard or Sabrina. Anyone else agree?
Well, given that just about all of Wilder's films have been released on BD, one supposes that now they all need to be released in UHD in order to get all of us spending more money. Unfortunately, I suspect that the Mouse will never give us a UHD of The Seven Year Itch...

(Still patiently waiting for WAC to release The Spirit of St. Louis on BD...)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Thus far:

...And of course they have Sunset Blvd. framed at 1:66 for all of us wonderful movie fans ... out there ... in the Dark ...;)
1650738884124.png
:oops:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Yes see now he said also avalable in 4k -my apologies
The 4K UHD review is up on bluray com. Even though I don't rate the particular reviewer highly, it's a gushing review. Am eagerly waiting for this forum to chime in!

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
We need a review where the reviewer can compare the previously issued 2014 blu-ray, with the new release.

I saw the 4K UHD last night, projected onto a 130 inch screen. There is a big difference in picture quality, when watching on a large screen, compared to the Universal 70th anniversary blu-ray from 2014. The old blu-ray also has the BFI logo on the box, so I assume the elements are the same 35 mm nitrate composite fine-grain held by the British Film Institute. Robert Harris gave the previous blu-ray a 5 for image but he might well modify that score now, if he compares to the Criterion blu-ray.

The improvements in grain resolution and grey-scale detail are most apparent, but the master has also been cleaned up for this latest release, as there are no speckles on the new 4K master (the old master wasn't heavily damaged, but there are speckles on it). There is no flicker on the sides of the frame as well. However, there are many scenes where there is a lack of detail - from the 35 mm safety duplicate negative? It is very noticeable in the beginning, where the studio close up of Fred MacMurray dictating (with fine detail) dissolves into the outside location shot of him driving up to the Dietrichson house (with much less detail).

I'm keeping the 2014 blu-ray for the excellent Lem Dobbs and Nick Redman commentary.
IMG_8566.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks