What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Double Indemnity (1944) (4k UHD) (2 Viewers)

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
This would be tempting, but as others are saying, the Universal blu-ray is very good. I was amazed that a film of this vintage could look like that. The commentary is also worth having, and the 1973 TV movie is harmless fun.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I am very excited about this release! However I am particularly happy to see a vintage film still so effectively on the cover. Some of the cover "artwork" on precious bluray releases (not just from Criterion) has been, at best, questionable, especially if they were looking for the product to get noticed and clicked upon while online shopping.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I am very excited about this release! However I am particularly happy to see this release using a vintage film still so effectively on the cover. Some of the cover "artwork" on precious bluray releases (not just from Criterion) has been, at best, questionable, especially if they were looking for the product to get noticed and clicked upon while online shopping.

Cover art I would say plays a big part in films getting noticed and potential being bought buy customers, the more eye catching it is, the more it's likely to be bought. Kino could learn a thing or two about that, as they have had some great front covers, but the spine, back cover, and disc art are just plain and boring. Get creative with the layout, it doesn't have to be too fancy, but stop playing it safe.

Criterion could also take a tip as well with how the list their features and specifications on the back as for some reason or another they like the William Faulkner method of one giant long run on sentence, it's like looking at an eye chart. Bullet list everything like everyone else usually does.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Cover art I would say plays a big part in films getting noticed and potential being bought buy customers, the more eye catching it is, the more it's likely to be bought. Kino could learn a thing or two about that, as they have had some great front covers, but the spine, back cover, and disc art are just plain and boring. Get creative with the layout, it doesn't have to be too fancy, but stop playing it safe.

Criterion could also take a tip as well with how the list their features and specifications on the back of their covers, for some reason or another they like the William Faulkner method of one giant long run on sentence, it's like looking at an eye chart. Bullet list everything like everyone else usually does.
Where do potential buyers see all this cover art you feel is boring?

Aren’t a gigantic percentage of purchases online only?

I can understand the front cover possibly (in the online listing), but the spine and back? And disc art has no effect on purchasing decisions

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Where do potential buyers see all this cover art you feel is boring?

Aren’t a gigantic percentage of purchases online only?

I can understand the front cover possibly (in the online listing), but the spine and back? And disc art has no effect on purchasing decisions

Online, here and a few other sites as well.

I'm not saying that both the spine and the back are deal breakers when it comes making a purchase or not, just that in my opinion I feel that it's drab. They remind me a lot of the old MCA and CBS FOX VHS back covers also the giant silver box that contains all the features is very reminiscent of 20th Century Fox's layout design as well.

Last edited:

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I never, ever make a "purchase or not" decision based on package design. I might make a decision about which edition I'll get based on packaging, but if I want the movie, I'll buy the movie, even if it comes in a plain white package with nothing but a title and giant barcode.
Sure, if it’s a movie I already know about and have formed an opinion of, a bad or great cover won’t be a factor whether to purchase.

However, when it comes to blind buys, an interesting cover can definitely initiate a process that results in me buying something, and I’m sure implicitly this is true for most all collectors. Why do you think so much effort has gone into movie posters for the entire history of film?

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Sure, if it’s a movie I already know about and have formed an opinion of, a bad or great cover won’t be a factor whether to purchase.

However, when it comes to blind buys, an interesting cover can definitely initiate a process that results in me buying something, and I’m sure implicitly this is true for most all collectors. Why do you think so much effort has gone into movie posters for the entire history of film?

Fair enough. But the point of packaging is wrapped up in the art of advertising. And the first rule of advertising is "Tell them whatever you need to in order to get them to buy the product". Which means they will lie and deceive you, if necessary. I wish I had a nickel for each time I've seen a book or movie or whatever where the packaging makes it look like something completely different than what it actually is. Movie trailers are constantly edited to have one scene follow another to make it look as if the second scene is a consequence of the first, when they are from completely different contexts.

You say "Sure, if it’s a movie I already know about and have formed an opinion of, a bad or great cover won’t be a factor whether to purchase." But that's the point for me...I don't buy it unless I do know something about it. At least, know enough about it to believe that it's something I'll like. And, oddly enough, I very rarely end up buying something that I don't like.

I really, truly don't pick up a random movie off the rack at Best Buy or wherever, and say, "Oh, that looks cool," and drop it in my shopping cart.

There was one time where I actually did buy something based solely on the packaging. Back in the day, I collected paperbacks...mostly SF/fantasy books. There was one cover artist whose work I loved, named Darrell Sweet, and I would snatch up books with covers by him. At some point, I noticed he'd done covers for a number of romance novels, which weren't something I would normally want. But I bought them. Solely for the cover. But the way I saw it, I wasn't buying the book based on the cover art...I was buying the cover art that just happened to be attached to a book.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I never, ever make a "purchase or not" decision based on package design. I might make a decision about which edition I'll get based on packaging, but if I want the movie, I'll buy the movie, even if it comes in a plain white package with nothing but a title and giant barcode.
When I made my original comment, I was not referring to anyone on this Forum making a decision based on package design. I was speaking about the packaging attracting those who have no knowledge about film noir, black and white movies, vintage Hollywood, the Criterion Collection, etc. but might be attracted and intrigued by the cover.....which these days will be viewed mostly online.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I have this on Blu-Ray. And it's great!
I'm going to see just what Amazon will ask for it?
Then if the price is right? I will pick it up on 4K.
If it's too much? I will pass on it!
Time will tell.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm going to see just what Amazon will ask for it?
Amazon's pricing on Criterions is usually pretty consistent. I don't know about 4k because I don't get those, but a new release Criterion Blu-ray is almost always $27.99 on release date. It would make sense if the 4Ks are a little bit more.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Amazon's pricing on Criterions is usually pretty consistent. I don't know about 4k because I don't get those, but a new release Criterion Blu-ray is almost always $27.99 on release date. It would make sense if the 4Ks are a little bit more.
I will keep an eye open on this. I do have the Blu-Ray.
So it's no big EE. I can wait until it gets to a good price
on 4K.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can wait until it gets to a good price on 4K.
In that case, your best bet would be to wait for the next Barnes & Noble Criterion 50% off sale later in the year. They usually have one in the summer (maybe July?) and one in November.

Last edited:

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
One more thing I see at times. Best Buy & Walmart will try and undercut Amazon. The first week it comes out.
So I will keep a good eye out the first week. When it comes out. We have so many VHS Tapes. LaserDisc & DVDs..Yup! VHS tapes. And three players. And two LaserDisc players.
Blu-Ray DVDs. And now 4K when they come out new.
At an ok price. She says we have an out-of-control hobby. Maybe we do? But like I say. What the hell. More Movies!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
One more thing I see at times. Best Buy & Walmart will try and undercut Amazon. The first week it comes out.
I don't think I've ever seen a Criterion disc in Best Buy or Wal-Mart locally here. They tend to be a more upscale item for serious collectors. In any case, as you probably know, Best Buy has them online for shipping at similar prices to Amazon. As you probably know, Criterions tend to be more expensive than your typical major studio release.
She says we have an out-of-control hobby.
I don't understand who you are referring to or the context of this comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks