What's new

Press Release Criterion Press Release: Double Indemnity (1944) (4k UHD) (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So0yJBlzFXZG1ganHAXLtpJPhBnmg4_large.jpg
Has dialogue ever been more perfectly hard-boiled? Has a femme fatale ever been as deliciously evil as Barbara Stanwyck? And has 1940s Los Angeles ever looked so seductively sordid? Working with cowriter Raymond Chandler, director Billy Wilder launched himself onto the Hollywood A-list with this paragon of film-noir fatalism from James M. Cain’s pulp novel. When slick salesman Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray) walks into the swank home of dissatisfied housewife Phyllis Dietrichson (Stanwyck), he intends to sell her insurance, but he winds up becoming entangled with her in a far more sinister way. Featuring scene-stealing supporting work from Edward G. Robinson and the chiaroscuro of cinematographer John F. Seitz, Double Indemnity is one of the most wickedly perverse stories ever told and the cynical standard by which all noir must be measured.

FILM INFO​

• United States
  • 108 minutes
  • Black & White
  • 1.37:1
  • English
  • Spine #1126

• SPECIAL FEATURES​

• New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
    • In the 4K UHD edition: One 4K UHD disc of the film presented in Dolby Vision HDR and two Blu-rays with the film and special features
    • Audio commentary featuring film critic Richard Schickel
    • New interview with film scholar Noah Isenberg, editor of Billy Wilder on Assignment
    • New conversation between film historians Eddie Muller and Imogen Sara Smith
    • Billy, How Did You Do It?, a 1992 film by Volker Schlöndorff and Gisela Grischow featuring interviews with director Billy Wilder
    • Shadows of Suspense, a 2006 documentary on the making of Double Indemnity
    • Audio excerpts from 1971 and 1972 interviews with cinematographer John F. Seitz
    • Radio adaptations from 1945 and 1950
    • Trailer
    • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing

New cover by Greg Ruth

May 31, 2022

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Mark VH

Second Unit
Oooooof this sounds badass. Don't think I can justify upgrading the Blu-ray since Universal's release is strong and I'm not UHD-ready yet, but this could be one I grab in 4K in anticipation of the eventual upgrade.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Oooooof this sounds badass. Don't think I can justify upgrading the Blu-ray since Universal's release is strong and I'm not UHD-ready yet, but this could be one I grab in 4K in anticipation of the eventual upgrade.
It includes "two Blu-rays with the film and special features" so you can call it "future-proofing" or "double indemnity" if you must ;)!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Since this film is in the same boat as Citizen Kane asset wise, I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, wow.

I've been meaning to buy the original Universal-distributed Blu-ray of this for years and never got around to it out of pure laziness. Apparently this is one of those rare situations rare my laziness is about to pay off. :laugh:

I will get this for sure.

The chances of me going 4K in the future feel so remote that I will probably just go with the Blu-ray version. But I am really glad Criterion is releasing this and will be delighted to finally correct an omission in my collection with their edition.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I’ll have to check the bonus features in the le Blu but I’m probably going to get this anyway and just combine the discs. It’s a shame though, I won’t be able to use the DVD package clamshell. It was very nice!

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Since this film is in the same boat as Citizen Kane asset wise, I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.
During the recent Dead Pixel Podcast (an interview with LOC's Heather Linville and George Willeman) Lee Kline mentioned that they found the best elements for Double Indemnity were held by the BFI. Obviously he didn't go into detail as the title had yet to be announced.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Apropos of nothing, I remember it taking forever for this movie to reach standard def DVD and being absolutely elated when it did. 16 years later, here we are with a Criterion 4K and Blu-ray version, and I'm only mildly excited for them. Life moves pretty fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks