What's new

Component to DVI (1 Viewer)

Darren Siddorn

Auditioning
Is this a viable option? I am not used to using component cables, DVI and HDMI - I was used to using SCART and S-Video back in the UK! So, I was wondering if any companies make such a cable, as I would like to feed my dvd player to the DVi port on my plasma.

Thanks in advance;)

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Such a cable could not exist. You would need a (probably expensive) electronic device to transcode a component signal into DVI or HDMI.
Component cables carry an analog YPbPr signal
HDMI carries a digital signal, in either RGB or YPbPr
DVI-D carries a digital RGB signal
DVI-A carries an analog RGB signal (not supported by most consumer devices)

while you might think that you could convert from component to DVI-A with a cable or adapter, transcoding YPbPr colorspace into RGB would most likely involve digitizing the signal, so you're right back into the realm of converter boxes.

If you let us know what your actual situation is we should be able to find a much simpler solution. In general you'll want to connect two devices with the highest quality connection they both support. The general list (from worst quality to best) goes like this:

modulated RF (AKA cableTV coax)
composite
s-video
component/VGA/DVI-A
DVI-D/HDMI (equivalent to previous for analog displays)

There exist inexpensive adapters for the following:
DVI-D HDMI
DVI-A VGA
composite s-video (note: does not improve quality)

While I'm on the topic, devices which convert RF into composite are generally called tuners (built into every TV and VCR these days, same as an analog cable box). Devices which convert composite into RF are called modulators (built into any device with an RF output). Both of these are pretty inexpensive these days.

Many receivers these days can also "upconvert" composite to s-video to component. This doesn't improve quality, but it does make connecting equipment alittle easier sometimes.

So this is probably more than you wanted to you wanted to know :) Again, if you've got a specific situation in mind, just let us know and we'll probably be able to give you more specific advice.

-- Dave

Darren Siddorn

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply Dave. My set up at the moment is 2 dvd's, both connected by Monster THXV100CV component cables to a Pelican Sysetm Selector Pro, this is then in turn connected via the same Monster cable to the one component input on the plasma display, and viewed in YpBpR. The plasma also has a D-sub 15 pin input and a DVI 29 pin Input, and as none of the dvd players carry these other connections I was going to try and cut out the Pelican Selector and connect direct. I have seen plenty of DVI > Component cables but not the the other way around. My players are the Sony DAV-SB100 and the cheaper Nova multi region player, so nothing hi-end at the moment, but the Sony does Prog Scan and i want to get the best from it. Wow, this is a long reply! Anyway, any more suggestions would very walmly welcomed, Thank you!

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
If I understand correctly you have two DVD players with component output, and only 1 component input, and want to get away from using a switch box. With that equipment I would honestly just keep using the switch box, and hope it's high quality. Assuming that switch box is passive then you shouldn't have a problem passing a progressive signal, unless it has poor frequency response.
If you'd like an improvement I'd suggest replacing one of your DVD players with one that has an HDMI or DVI output. Since you have a plasma display using a digital connection will remove the D/A-A/D conversion that's going on when using an analog connection. The new Panasonic and Sony models seem like good choices for that.

-- Dave

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
nice post david.

somewhere there's a good thread about component video switchers, but i can't find it. try the search option.

there's definitely some viable switcher solutions out there. heck, some people just use the boxes from rat-shack. also, i've seen at best buy some switchers labeled as hd ready - so they must be able to handle some decent bandwidth.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks