What's new

HDMI/DVI Issue... (1 Viewer)

mngwdw

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Pala
Stupid question (I'm a set-it and forget it guy). Hooking everything up via HDMI to a Sony STR-DG820 Receiver and out via a HDMI to DVI adapter cable into an old Sony Grand Wega 60" with no HDMI input, only component and DVI inputs. Great picture for an older tv, but no sound. After some research I've read that the receiver does not play well with the whole HDMI/DVI adapter and is a common issue....
My question is: Is this a common problem with other receivers? I'm hoping to replace the receiver and finally enjoy my home theater, which has been down for some time.

PS: And yes, I've set all the outputs correctly on my BR, Xfinity, Xbox, and tv.

Thanks,
Chris

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Stupid question (I'm a set-it and forget it guy). Hooking everything up via HDMI to a Sony STR-DG820 Receiver and out via a HDMI to DVI adapter cable into an old Sony Grand Wega 60" with no HDMI input, only component and DVI inputs. Great picture for an older tv, but no sound. After some research I've read that the receiver does not play well with the whole HDMI/DVI adapter and is a common issue....
My question is: Is this a common problem with other receivers? I'm hoping to replace the receiver and finally enjoy my home theater, which has been down for some time.

PS: And yes, I've set all the outputs correctly on my BR, Xfinity, Xbox, and tv.

Thanks,
Chris

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MdupPVEdnhQ/p_158STDG820/Sony-STR-DG820.html
DVI does not output sound ... you may need to use the optical connector
:thumbsdown:
x158STDG820-b.jpeg

to get sound out of your receiver and HDMI to DVI for video

mngwdw

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris Pala
I get what your saying and thanks for the response.

I want to HDMI out of the BR into the receiver, use the receiver for audio, and HDMI out of the receiver, using the HDMI to DVI adapter to send the video to the TV. But the receiver has known issues when using a HDMI/DVI adapter cable, and when using such cable, it has NO audio whatsoever. Video looks fantastic, surprisingly for an older LCD tv. Just no sound from the receiver.

The simplest answer is to upgrade to a new TV, but..... I'm married, so as long as it's working, my Sony Grand Wega has to start on fire before I get to upgrade. I can "sneak" a new receiver into the basement without getting the frying pan over the head, but just want to make sure other receivers don't suffer from this same issue.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks