What's new

Are there any TV-sized 4K monitors? (1 Viewer)

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
I’m going to be in the market for a new 4K TV soon, but as I’m looking around at them online I’m seeing that many have junk that I just don’t want. I don’t need component video inputs, or RCA, or DVI, or USB or Wifi or fancy screen modes or smart anything, not even speakers. All that I have is connected to my HT receiver and all I need is ONE HDMI input and that’s all. Everything else just seems wasteful to me.

Seems like all I really need is basically a 4K computer monitor that’s 55” or bigger. Is there anything like that out there… and in the same price range as a TV of the same size?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So you don’t have any unused inputs on your HT receiver? Channels from your TV or cable service provider that you don’t watch? Electrical outlets in your residence that don’t have anything plugged into them? Are you concerned if you don’t use every feature Microsoft Word (or its Apple equivalent) offers? Or that you never drive your car faster than 80 MPH when it can do 110?

I doubt the difference in price of a TV with the features you don’t need and an identical model with only a single input would be no more than $20-30. For most people on Forums like this, the picture quality is what counts the most.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would stick with a TV not a computer monitor and to my knowledge there are not many pc monitors that are up in the 45" and bigger range. And your not going to find an OLED pc monitor only LED monitors. ACER makes a 43" 4K UHD monitor but I doubt it will match a LG, Sony or Samsung 4K UHD TV. And with 4K for movies I don't think I would go with such a small screen and IMHO 55" is the threshold where you can actually get the benefits of 4K. Right now the best TV's on the market are LG and Sony OLED's and Samsung QLED 4K TV's. So if your looking at 55" or bigger your not going to get a pure monitor at those sizes and to my knowledge the extra HDMI inputs do not effect the cost of the tv. IMHO your looking at paying more for picture quality which is from higher quality display panels and the electronics and software that drive the picture.

Necros

Agent
Real Name
Tim
Thanks, yeah that's what I was thinking, I was just curious if there was anything more monitor-like out there. I saw a youtube review of this tv/monitor from LG

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

It's a 43" 4K monitor, seems nice, but I would prefer at least 55" and also I'm hoping I will be able to afford OLED. I need something that will have a great picture for movies but also have low latency for gaming. I'm currently running a 25 foot HDMI cable from my PC to my receiver and using a bluetooth game controller, but I'm thinking of building a dedicated HTPC for gaming. I noticed a lot of the newer LG TVs have a gaming mode and the reviewers say they cut down on the input lag a lot, so LG is at the top of my list right now. We have a 75" samsung 4K in the living room though and it's real nice. It's just normal LED but the picture is really great. I just need to upgrade the man room TV from my 10+ year old plasma now

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks