Coming Soon From Olive Films

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MisterLime, May 26, 2011.

1. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Sleep My Love means I can retire my Import

I wish I had heard of that long list of movies, these look like more renters so I can decide which ones I want to own...
    The Giallo sounds most intriguing !

2. Wade Sowers

Wade Sowers Second Unit

Wade Sowers
    When I saw Olive back at the top of the subjects, I expected it was another post regarding the absence of release news and what is what with Olive . . . what a nice surprise to discover a long list of new titles (Altman, Siodmak, Witney, Guest, Aldrich, noirs, crime, serials, rock'n-roll!) as well as cover art for Mann and Sirk! Now I can stop worrying and begin saving money.

3. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Wow, what a great list! I'm esp. excited about the three above. I've seen MAN OF CONQUEST and it's quite good. It's an early film about Sam Houston (played by Richard Dix) and it includes Davy Crockett, Jim Bowie and President Andrew Jackson as supporting characters, including a recreation of the Alamo. This had a bigger budget than usual for Republic Pictures. There must be earlier films about the Alamo or about the men involved in that battle, but I've never seen them and can't tell you offhand what they might be. Definitely a must-have!

WORLD FOR RANSOM - Aldrich's second feature and it's based on the "China Smith" TV series. I saw it once on 16mm some 40 years ago, but I can't recall much about it. I sure want to see it again.

WOMAN THEY ALMOST LYNCHED - a high-powered female western that I've never seen, with Kate Quantrill a major character. Very big among a certain class of auteurists.

4. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Holy....that is one trove of obscure titles. I don't think any of these ever made it to DVD, heck the majority probably never made it to VHS. Very excited about these. And two serials?? and a Republic western not starring John Wayne?? You guys are really reaching out to the unsung classics.

Mispelled the last one, it should be World for Ransom. I watched that one on Netflix a while back and wasn't too impressed with it, only remembering Duryea's flippantly portrayed suicidal gesture at the end. Maybe I should give it another shot now that I realize how limited the budget constraints were, and I'm a little curious if the cheap-o sets and production values will be even more apparent in HD.

Though I'm still a bit dismayed that The Senator Was Indiscreet, easily one of the higher profile Republic acquisitions unreleased, still isn't in the cards. Powell needs some HD love.

ahollis likes this.
  5. Justin Ray

Justin Ray Stunt Coordinator

Justin Ray
    When will The Other Love (1947-Barbara Stanwyck & David Niven) arrive from Olive Films? Thanks in advance!

6. Ken_Martinez

Ken_Martinez Stunt Coordinator

Ken
    Ahhh. No more cartoons. Hopefully someone else will scoop them up.

7. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

Mister Lime,I'm glad to see Altman's COME BACK JIMMY DEAN, and the two campy/noir Zugsmith films THE BEAT GENERATON and THE BIG OPERATOR.Speaking of Zugsmith, is GIRLS TOWN (1959) a future possibility from Olive? That is his wildest film, IMO.GIRLS TOWN features Mel "The Velvet Fog" Torme as a black leather jacketed hoodlum who wants to send Mamie Van Doren's younger sister (Elinor Donohue of FATHER KNOWS BEST) down to Tijuana to work as a "hostess." Meanwhile, Paul Anka puts the reform school girls back on the straight and narrow. One of the most deliriously entertaining cult films ever.

8. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    I could have sworn Olive said that The Strange Affair of Uncle Harry was no longer a part of the Republic library. Perhaps they licensed it from the producer? I pray there's still hope for Riot in Cell Block 11 and Borzage's Moonrise getting released too.

9. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    I hope DR. TERROR hasn't been cancelled.

10. TheSteig

TheSteig Supporting Actor

David
    Girls Town is with Lionsgate last I heard

11. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    Coming Soon From Olive Films - Just Announced

Attached Files:

12. SWFF

SWFF Screenwriter

Shawn Francis
    Yeah, I'm curious about this one, too. Is it still on for next year?

13. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Glad to see The Pawnbroker finally make it

14. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    UPDATED COMPLETE LIST: COMING IN 2014 FROM OLIVE FILMS: Fedora (1978) – Man on the Roof (1977) – The Adalen Riots (1969) – Elvira Madigan (1967) – Raven’s End (1963) – Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973) – The World's Most Beautiful Swindlers (1963) – Ophelia (1962) – J’Accuse (1938) – The Stationmaster’s Wife (1977) – Guilty of Romance (2011) – Himizu (2011) – The Bamboo Saucer (1968) – Bang! Bang! You’re Dead! (1966) – Cry Danger (1951) – Young At Heart (1954) – Men in War (1957) – Sleep My Love (1948) – The Pawnbroker (1964) – Stranger on the Prowl (1952) – Up the Junction (1968) – Betty Boop Volume 3 (1932 -1938) – Johnny Come Lately (1943) – Love Happy (1950) – Operation Petticoat (1959) – So This is New York (1948) – Flying Tigers (1942) – Home of the Brave (1949) – Good Sam (1948) – Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948) – Caught (1949) – The Lost Moment (1947) – Arch of Triumph (1948) – The North Star (1943) | Armored Attack (1957) – Forever Female (1953) – The Other Love (1947) – Magnificent Doll (1946) – That’s My Man (1947) – I’ve Always Loved You (1946) – Betty Boop Volume 4 (1932-1938) – High School Confidential (1958) – Distant Drums (1951) – South of St. Louis (1949) – Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) – Try and Get Me (1950) – Cauldron of Blood (1970) – Beware, My Lovely (1952) – Outrage (1950) – Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965) – Dragonfly Squadron (1954): In 3D Blu-ray (1954) – Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) – Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951) – Man of Conquest (1939) – The Private Life of Bel Ami (1947) – Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) – Track the Man Down (1955) – A Black Veil For Lisa (1968) – The Eternal Sea (1955) – Hell’s Five Hours (1958) – No Man of Her Own (1955) – The Quiet Gun (1957) – Stranger at My Door (1956) – Flying Disc Man From Mars (1950) – The Invisible Monster (1950) – The Beat Generation (1959) – The Big Operator (1959) – The Shanghai Story (1954) – The Weapon (1956) – Woman They Almost Lynched (1953) – World For Ransom (1954) and more to be announced.

15. MisterLime

MisterLime Insider
    Insider

Scott
    I've heard that both Riot in Cell Block 11 and Moonrise are with Criterion.

16. Timothy E

Timothy E Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Timothy Ewanyshyn
    I have had Operation Petticoat and Love Happy at the top of my want list. I am thrilled to see another Golden Age 3-D title released, and I will preorder Dragonfly Squadron as well.

17. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I'd never heard of DRAGONFLY SQUADRON, so I looked it up. It's a Korean War air combat movie. According to IMDB it was never released in 3-D. It's got a great cast: John Hodiak, Barbara Britton, Bruce Bennett, Gerald Mohr, Chuck Connors, Harry Lauter, Fess Parker, Adam Williams, John Lupton, Benson Fong.

However, the sole review on IMDB is pretty harsh, coming from, apparently, an aviation buff:

18. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Makes sense considering 3-D's popularity was plummeting by the time it got released.

Gotta say, 3-D might actually add new life to this film. I don't think there has been a 3-D 50s war film released on blu-ray yet and Paramount/Olive going through the trouble of presenting it is a pretty big plus.

19. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    From AFI Catalog on Dragonfly Squadron. "Although a DV news item of 14 Dec 1953 reported that a 3-D release of Dragonfly Squadron would be tested during four bookings early in 1954, it has not been established that the film played any 3-D engagements. Its Los Angeles opening in Jan 1954 was in a "flat" version." Would love for Bob F to give us some background. As a fan of the 50's 3D films, it will be a first day purchase for DRAGONFLY SQUADRON.

20. GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh Supporting Actor

Gregory Mesh
    It played in 3D for the first time in 2013 World 3-D Movie Expo: