What's new

Coming Soon From Olive Films (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I have had Operation Petticoat and Love Happy at the top of my want list. I am thrilled to see another Golden Age 3-D title released, and I will preorder Dragonfly Squadron as well.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Timothy E said:
I am thrilled to see another Golden Age 3-D title released, and I will preorder Dragonfly Squadron as well.
I'd never heard of DRAGONFLY SQUADRON, so I looked it up. It's a Korean War air combat movie. According to IMDB it was never released in 3-D. It's got a great cast: John Hodiak, Barbara Britton, Bruce Bennett, Gerald Mohr, Chuck Connors, Harry Lauter, Fess Parker, Adam Williams, John Lupton, Benson Fong.

However, the sole review on IMDB is pretty harsh, coming from, apparently, an aviation buff:
Clichéd, trite, stereotyped. Also, in the copy I saw, almost unwatchably fuzzy- the 3D showing through, perhaps? But the worst bit is the splicing in of stock footage of vaguely relevant bits of hardware. One expects all tanks in movies of this era to be American, but seeing good 'ol all American boys being shelled by a Sherman still jars. But the funniest errors are in the aircraft. Four US jet fighters (P-80's) twice become piston engined P-51's in close up, for example. But best of all a strafing enemy "Yak/Russian" fighter with a piston engine (and a devilish oriental pilot in close up) becomes a jet-powered P-80 (which only the US used) dropping napalm before reverting to a piston engine for the rest of the attack. Masters of disguise, evidently. On the interpersonal front watch for almost every 50's cliché, including "but I had to go back to him, he's wonderful", "I'm a hard-bitten infantryman", "you ran away, you coward", and probably if you look hard enough someone in a flying saucer. Not watchable. Can I have that bit of my life back, please?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Vic Pardo said:
I'd never heard of DRAGONFLY SQUADRON, so I looked it up. It's a Korean War air combat movie. According to IMDB it was never released in 3-D.:
Makes sense considering 3-D's popularity was plummeting by the time it got released.

Gotta say, 3-D might actually add new life to this film. I don't think there has been a 3-D 50s war film released on blu-ray yet and Paramount/Olive going through the trouble of presenting it is a pretty big plus.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
From AFI Catalog on Dragonfly Squadron. "Although a DV news item of 14 Dec 1953 reported that a 3-D release of Dragonfly Squadron would be tested during four bookings early in 1954, it has not been established that the film played any 3-D engagements. Its Los Angeles opening in Jan 1954 was in a "flat" version." Would love for Bob F to give us some background. As a fan of the 50's 3D films, it will be a first day purchase for DRAGONFLY SQUADRON.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It played in 3D for the first time in 2013 World 3-D Movie Expo:
World 3-D Premieres of the Korean War drama DRAGONFLY SQUADRON (one of the last unseen 3-D features from the classic Fifties era)

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Mr. Steigman,Any idea how GIRLS TOWN could have ended up at Lionsgate? As an MGM theatrical release in 1959, I'd have expected it to end up under the Warner banner.Does Lionsgate control any particular film libraries?Meanwhile, some really great titles are expected from Olive next year!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I suspect Girl's Town an oddball exception that previously had an independent production copyright. So is it really Lionsgate, or was it only Lionsgate in the past via the Republic library?

As far as pre-80s libraries, the only major one I can think of is Studio Canal (in North America at least). Republic used to be Lionsgate's primary "classic" library before Olive came along. Most of Lionsgate's current library consists of far more recently made films.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Here's the trailer:

Don't let one review on IMDB discourage you, it's a pretty good film and the 3-D is excellent.

While filmed in dual 35mm Polaroid 3-D in August 1953, interest in the process had greatly diminished and DRAGONFLY SQUADRON was released flat only in March 1954. For decades, historians and film buffs believed the original left and right elements were long gone and considered this film a "lost" 3-D title, never to be seen by anyone. Until now.The 3-D Film Archive has found the lost elements and will present this Golden Age 3-D feature for the first time in the original stereoscopic 1.66:1 widescreen version. We are performing a complete 2K digital restoration utilizing the left/right camera negatives and master 35mm fine grains. This restored HD 3-D version is better than ever before as a result of shot by shot stereoscopic digital correction and alignment techniques.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Jobla said:
Mr. Steigman,

Any idea how GIRLS TOWN could have ended up at Lionsgate? As an MGM theatrical release in 1959, I'd have expected it to end up under the Warner banner.

Does Lionsgate control any particular film libraries?

Meanwhile, some really great titles are expected from Olive next year!
I read this in a forum about what MST3K versions of movies could wind up on home video from Shout Factory. the person who made the most wrote Lionsgate (he is pretty much spot on with most of who has what ) / and I also read it on a Facebook forum that someone requested the movie and a response was Lionsgate. Thats about all I can see. It does say MGM in the studios though.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052850/companycredits
http://forrestcrow.proboards.com/thread/6297/likelihood-shout-factory-release-list?page=1
Girls Town Lionsgate/Republic Entertainment.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
JoHud said:
Makes sense considering 3-D's popularity was plummeting by the time it got released.

Gotta say, 3-D might actually add new life to this film. I don't think there has been a 3-D 50s war film released on blu-ray yet and Paramount/Olive going through the trouble of presenting it is a pretty big plus.
Joe, this is not coming from Paramount. 3-D Film Archive own the rights on this title.

Here's the original one sheet:

Dragonfly.jpgweb.jpg

The only other Golden Age 3-D title dealing with the Korean War was Hal Wallis' production of CEASE FIRE. It's an excellent stereoscopic production and hopefully Olive will consider licensing the rights from Paramount.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Thanks to those who have addressed GIRLS TOWN. If Lionsgate truly owns it, I suppose it will never appear on DVD or Blu-ray. I was hoping that Olive or Warner Archives owned it.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Jobla said:
I'm glad to see Altman's COME BACK JIMMY DEAN, and the two campy/noir Zugsmith films THE BEAT GENERATON and THE BIG OPERATOR.Speaking of Zugsmith, is GIRLS TOWN (1959) a future possibility from Olive? That is his wildest film, IMO.GIRLS TOWN features Mel "The Velvet Fog" Torme as a black leather jacketed hoodlum who wants to send Mamie Van Doren's younger sister (Elinor Donohue of FATHER KNOWS BEST) down to Tijuana to work as a "hostess." Meanwhile, Paul Anka puts the reform school girls back on the straight and narrow. One of the most deliriously entertaining cult films ever.
The Beat Generation aired on TCM a while back and looked pretty good.

Another wacky Zugsmith film I'd like to is College Confidential, with a classic line of dialogue from Mamie Van Doren; "I told him that my mind is an open, but empty, book." The cast includes Steve Allen, Jayne Meadows, Walter Winchell, Conway Twitty, Rocky Marciano, and Bing Crosby's niece, Cathy Crosby.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
MisterLime said:
UPDATED COMPLETE LIST: COMING IN 2014 FROM OLIVE FILMS: Fedora (1978) – Man on the Roof (1977) – The Adalen Riots (1969) – Elvira Madigan (1967) – Raven’s End (1963) – Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street (1973) – The World's Most Beautiful Swindlers (1963) – Ophelia (1962) – J’Accuse (1938) – The Stationmaster’s Wife (1977) – Guilty of Romance (2011) – Himizu (2011) – The Bamboo Saucer (1968) – Bang! Bang! You’re Dead! (1966) – Cry Danger (1951) – Young At Heart (1954) – Men in War (1957) – Sleep My Love (1948) – The Pawnbroker (1964) – Stranger on the Prowl (1952) – Up the Junction (1968) – Betty Boop Volume 3 (1932 -1938) – Johnny Come Lately (1943) – Love Happy (1950) – Operation Petticoat (1959) – So This is New York (1948) – Flying Tigers (1942) – Home of the Brave (1949) – Good Sam (1948) – Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid (1948) – Caught (1949) – The Lost Moment (1947) – Arch of Triumph (1948) – The North Star (1943) | Armored Attack (1957) – Forever Female (1953) – The Other Love (1947) – Magnificent Doll (1946) – That’s My Man (1947) – I’ve Always Loved You (1946) – Betty Boop Volume 4 (1932-1938) – High School Confidential (1958) – Distant Drums (1951) – South of St. Louis (1949) – Sands of Iwo Jima (1949) – Try and Get Me (1950) – Cauldron of Blood (1970) – Beware, My Lovely (1952) – Outrage (1950) – Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors (1965) – Dragonfly Squadron (1954): In 3D Blu-ray (1954) – Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean (1982) – Adventures of Captain Fabian (1951) – Man of Conquest (1939) – The Private Life of Bel Ami (1947) – Strange Affair of Uncle Harry (1945) – Track the Man Down (1955) – A Black Veil For Lisa (1968) – The Eternal Sea (1955) – Hell’s Five Hours (1958) – No Man of Her Own (1955) – The Quiet Gun (1957) – Stranger at My Door (1956) – Flying Disc Man From Mars (1950) – The Invisible Monster (1950) – The Beat Generation (1959) – The Big Operator (1959) – The Shanghai Story (1954) – The Weapon (1956) – Woman They Almost Lynched (1953) – World For Ransom (1954) and more to be announced.
Very glad and slightly relieved to see that Fedora is top of that list. I hope that means it will be one of the first to appear.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Richard, COLLEGE CONFIDENTIAL is Universal, so it's less likely to show up. I fear that it and GIRLS TOWN will remain among the missing.

MisterLime

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Coming Soon From Olive Films - Just Announced

Volume Three:
MINNIE THE MOOCHER (1932)
I’LL BE GLAD WHEN YOU’RE DEAD YOU RASCAL YOU (1932)
MOTHER GOOSE LAND (1933)
THE OLD MAN OF THE MOUNTAIN (1933)
I HEARD (1933)
HA! HA! HA! (1934)
STOP THAT NOISE (1935)
SERVICE WITH A SMILE (1937)
THE NEW DEAL SHOW (1937)
BE UP TO DATE (1938)
OUT OF THE INKWELL (1938)
PUDGY IN THRILLS AND CHILLS (1938)

Attachments

• April_3.jpg
    April_3.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 24

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
GIRLS TOWN is, far as I've found, indeed in the Republic library; it and HIGH SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL were both initially MGM releases produced by Albert Zugsmith, and both films reverted to his control in the '70's. If Lionsgate was credited, it dates back to when they handled the Republic library.So it would be appropriate to petition Olive for a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks