Coming Soon From Olive Films

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MisterLime, May 26, 2011.

1. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Unfortunately that one seems doomed to remain unavailable. Olive cancelled a planned release of this film a few months ago, presumably because they didn't have good enough elements available.

2. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

I do wish Olive Films would reconsider it's Republic titles especially those in Trucolor. People want to see the Trucolor films, and particularly the westerns. HELLFIRE (1948), RIDE THE MAN DOWN (1952), THE LOST COMMAND (1954), THE OUTCAST (1954), and A MAN ALONE (1955) among others looked fine on analog VHS and whenever broadcast on TCM or the Westerns Channel. Image's DVD of STRAWBERRY ROAN (Columbia 1948) and Republic / Artisan's DVD of BELLS OF CORONADO (1950) look lovely in Trucolor. The color is not perfect, but perfection is beside the point. Fans accept the imperfection of Trucolor. The point is too see the films, and nobody will blame Olive Films for the imperfections of the early color technology. Put the disclaimer up that the Trucolor system was unstable, or this is the best that can be accomplished with it, or that you're releasing to meet the public demand and nobody can complain. Just get those films out.

RideTheManDown-1952-Republic-one.jpg

LastCommand-1955-Republic-one.jpg

Outcast-1954-Republic-one.jpg

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

AManAlone-1955-Republic-one.jpg

davidHartzog likes this.
  4. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer
    Supporter

John smith
    I'd purchase all four of these.

5. williampl7@aol.com

williampl7@aol.com Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if Olive has the rights to "The Catman of Paris" (1946), and has any plans for release.

6. Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF Supporting Actor

Does this include Bang Bang, You're Dead as well?

7. Robin9

Robin9 Cinematographer

Robin
    So would I, despite any disclaimer about sub-standard materials. Richard is quite right. It's better to have these films in seriously flawed condition than not to have them at all.

8. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Yes, that too. Not sure why they were pushed back. Could be element issues or it could be Olive taking an extended breather after releasing so many film in 2013 in such a short span of time. Hope the latter's not the case and we get some new titles in January-March.

9. cadavra

cadavra Stunt Coordinator

mike schlesinger
    According to Barry Allen, it's the elements. Trucolor was for most of its run done a la Technicolor, yielding matrices which were used to make release prints. Very few of them were ever converted to conventional Eastman stock, and to do so today would cost an enormous amount of money--which realistically would never be earned back by ancillary sales. Sad, but there you go.

Mike S.

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Mike, does that also prohibit a DVD release?

Trucolor films don't have to be on blu-ray.

11. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Cry Danger was restored by Eddie Muller's Film Noir Foundation in 2009, so I can't imagine it's an elements issue on that title.

12. cadavra

mike schlesinger
    Um, CRY DANGER's not in color.

Mike S.

13. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Did I say it was? Maybe we're using the term "elements" differently. I meant that the film was recently restored, so it's not a matter of the film not being of sufficient robust quality for a high-def transfer. No, there aren't different color layers, but there is a print and a soundtrack. Are those not elements?

14. cadavra

mike schlesinger
    Elements are generally considered to mean negatives, fine-grains or, in the case of some color films, separations. (CRY DANGER was actually restored from a 16mm print because that was all that could be located, so that was considered an "element" only in a technical sense.) As I said above, the Trucolor titles by and large exist only as printing matrices (a sort of separation and completely outmoded today) and that it would be prohibitively expensive to use them to restore the films, given the amount that could be reasonably assumed to be earned back. I never said elements did not exist.

Mike S.

15. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Thanks for the explanation, Mike.

I see no reason why the transfers that air on TCM and Encore Westerns can't be pressed onto DVD, if that's all that is available. They're perfectly acceptable. Better to have the films in TV print condition than not have them.

16. cadavra

mike schlesinger
    That's so. Many Warner Archive titles are older TCM masters. I assume they (Olive) have their reasons for not going that route, though that's not to say they might not change their minds in time.

Mike S.

17. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Its been almost a month since there was any activity in this thread.

Its been almost two months since we last had any announcement of upcoming releases. And its been almost a month since there was any word out of Olive (about the price reductions of a few titles).

Plus we heard that several releases were going to be held back.

Does anyone know why they've 'gone dark'?

I enjoy the Olive releases and hope they continue.

18. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    They've always "gone dark" at the end of the year.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

19. davidHartzog

davidHartzog Cinematographer
    Supporter

John smith
    I hope so, I'd hate to see Olive go down the tubes like other distributers through the years.

20. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Just look at the conversation in this very thread a year ago. Its the exact same thing. They don't announce release until almost a month out usually, so if they release anything in January I wouldn't expect news until later this month at the absolute earliest.Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk