What's new

Cleaning a RPTV screen... (1 Viewer)

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
I know this must have been asked about 100 times before, but I did about 10 different searches both on this MB and store sites like Best Buy... so I tried. :)

Basically, they must sell a little kit to clean the tv screen with, right? Something cheap, like $10-15? If not, what's the best kind of cloth to use? I know it has to be soft, but I don't want to take any chances... any particular types?

I did check the store sites like I said, but couldn't find anything... any help would be great. Thanks.

BTW-

My Panny 53wx53 has been going GREAT since I got it a about 6 months ago, due mainly to the people of this site. Suggestions such as getting the VE calibration disc, turning VSM OFF, keeping the contrast/brightness down... and just everybody supplying a great amount of knowledge helped me pick the right TV and DVD player for my budget... Thanks a lot guys!

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
The cleaning kit that I picked up was by 'discwasher' . Basically it is a wooden block with a replaceable pad (a foam backed corduroy like cloth) and a "patented solution" (actually dilute isopropyl alchohol) that you spray on the pad then wipe the screen. The cloth fibers reach into the grooves to remove dust and dirt that surface wiping wouldn't get at.

Windex will eventually damage the plastic screen in various ways and if any drips down inside then the corrosive liquid can make a real mess of circuit boards . Spray the cloth , not the screen.

If you use water it should be distilled water so that as it evaporates it will not leave a residue.

A search of this forum for "screen cleaner" found a couple of pages of threads , some of which might help . You should note that a protector screen (perfectly smooth) can be cleaned differently than the difuser screen (finely grooved).

JoeRiley

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Steve.

I found a kit at Best Buy when I got the Freddy vs Jason dvd. It's $20, so I figured I'd wait to see if I could find something a little cheaper. I'll take a look at your kit, and try searching this forum again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks