What's new
World Wide Stereo

Spots on DLP RPTV (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I have a 62" Mitsu DLP RPTV,

I started noticing darkened spots about the size of a dime to a quarter in about a dozen places on the screen.

The glass is clean. This seems to be something happening inside the TV. I've done some searches and seen everything from needing to clean the mirrors to something about layers of glass or screens on the inside of the unit.

I know nothing about how the inside of these DLP's look and frankly don't trust myself to open one up and take a look.

Has anyone experienced this problem, is it a common problem with an easy fix, or is this gonna cost lots o money to remedy?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

728x90

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Out of curiousity, do you have anything under the base of the unit to tilt it up or down?

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
It sits on a very large, sturdy set of Drawers which then sit on a wooden floor which were installed on top of concrete.

But I can check later with a level to see if it is indeed level. To the naked eye it looks level.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
The other problem is that you may want to do a 'Google' search about problems related to transporting a DLP. From memory, it might be face down that caused issues.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I've had the TV for a bit over 1 year and this just started happening within the last couple of months. It has never been moved since it was installed.

I think the amount of shady spots is increasing the the shady ones that have been there the longest are getting darker.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
A friend had that happen who had to adjust what he was using to tilt the TV. It is still tilted but evidently where he placed the little things he used to tilt the TV made a difference. The spots would change shape and positions a bit. He has not had a problem since. He thought initially there was an imperfection to the outer screen.

I've read about problems with transporting a DLP. I do not know if they problems manifest themselves immediately or take time.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Not sure what Tilting would do to the screen but again pretty sure thats not the case with this TV, It has been perfectly level for over a year.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

My friend has a thin piece of wood along the back of the TV to tilt is slightly forward. It was kind of awkward. I use little rubber furniture leg things I got at Home Depot for my bedroom TV (old LCD). He had a problem and then used the little rubber pieces and the stuff moved. He then placed the rubber pieces under the legs of the DLP and the problem has not reappeared. I don't know why this is a problem but I saw it on his TV and now it is not there. I've read, as noted, about problems with improper transportation of a DLP.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil

I'm saying he had spots that would change while the TV was very slightly tilted. The TV is still very slightly tilted but the things used to tilt it now are just precisely under the legs of the base of the TV and the spots are not longer there after this adjustment. No idea why.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks