What's new

'Catch-Up' titles - Released HD-DVDs that have yet to get a Blu-ray release (US Only) (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Added the following - Warner will release the following on 3/8/11:
Excalibur

The following was released today from Universal and has been removed:

Tremors

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Interesting to go back and review the thread from the beginning. Thanks again, Brandon, for your diligence. I note that the crosstalk has decreased in recent times. Perhaps the result of the software upgrade wiping some members subscription lists?

My extrapolating from too small of a release pattern proved for very inaccurate prognosticating. In my December 31, 2008 post I said: "It looks like about 12 titles have streeted or been announced since the list was compiled in late October, about eight weeks ago. That's about 1.5 titles per week, or six per month. With I think about 153 titles on the list, IF that release rate continues--and making the big assumption that all of those exclusives will hit BD--we're looking at about two years before the HD DVD exclusives list evaporates . . .?"

It's been almost exactly two years and, needless to say, USHE didn't keep that pace. Particularly noteworthy for my keenest interest still on the list is that U didn't use The Ghost Writer as a hook to release The Pianist. Happy about Eternal Sunshine though.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Thanks for your compliments Paul.

To me, the most curious thing is Warner's lack of releasing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. They've released it on Blu-ray word wide, but not in the US. Makes no sense to me. Especially since the tie-in to the Blu-ray release of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory or Burton's Alice in Wonderland was obvious.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Agreed on Charlie.

Another interesting absence--although I understand your lists only contemplate U.S. releases--is EuroArts' Pierre Boulez Mahler 2, ironically released to HD DVD exclusively in February 2008. Euro is in the midst of an Abbado Mahler cycle on BD (and ironically had to recall their M2 due to audio problems) so it's odd/interesting to me that they haven't re-released this one.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
What the hell happened to Animal House? Did the HD-DVD really sell THAT bad? Sad thing is, I only avoided it cause it was a combo disc, now the goddamn BD will be the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks