What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (4k UHD Combo) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“A TRIUMPHANT SUCCESS”

– Johnny Oleksinski, New York Post

cid1547707025*image001.png@01D921C0.E847FE50

Witness the Power of Wakanda in Marvel Studios’ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever on Digital February 1 and 4K Ultra HD™, Blu-ray™ and DVD February 7

Two Exclusive Best Buy SteelBook® Designs Showcase Wakanda and Talokan, Walmart Exclusive Includes Enamel Pin

BURBANK, CA (January 9, 2023) – The legacy continues. Marvel Studios’ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever arrives on Digital February 1 and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD February 7. Fans can add the film to their collection and access exclusive bonus content including deleted scenes, a gag reel and audio commentary by esteemed filmmakers Ryan Coogler, Joe Robert Cole and Autumn Durald Arkapaw. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever will also stream on Disney+ February 1. Plus, a two-movie bundle will be available on all major digital platforms.

Additionally, collectors can find two limited-edition SteelBook® designs only at Best Buy. Artist Dorothea Taylor designed one SteelBook that highlights the Wakanda warriors and Orlando Arocena recreated the vibrant world of Talokan for the other.

Graphical user interface  Description automatically generated

cid1547707025*image003.jpg@01D921C0.E847FE50

Walmart will also offer an exclusive 4K Ultra HD edition with custom artwork and a limited-edition Black Panther enamel pin.

cid1547707025*image004.png@01D921C0.E847FE50

Film Synopsis

Queen Ramonda (Angela Bassett), Shuri (Letitia Wright), M’Baku (Winston Duke), Okoye (Danai Gurira) and the mighty Dora Milaje (including Florence Kasumba), fight to protect their nation from intervening world powers in the wake of the death of their beloved King T’Challa. As the Wakandans strive to embrace their next chapter, the heroes must band together with the help of War Dog Nakia (Lupita Nyong’o) and Everett K. Ross (Martin Freeman) if they are to forge a new path for the kingdom of Wakanda. Marvel Studios’ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever was written by Ryan Coogler & Joe Robert Cole and directed by Ryan Coogler.

Bonus Features*

Gag Reel

• Take a look at some of the lighthearted moments on the set of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
Audio Commentary

• Listen to Ryan Coogler, Joe Robert Cole, and Autumn Durald Arkapaw discuss the film.
Featurettes

• Envisioning Two Worlds – Uncover the making of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever through the lens and leadership of co-writer/director Ryan Coogler, production designer Hannah Beachler, and costume designer Ruth Carter.
  • Passing the Mantle – Follow the evolution of the Black Panther through the films. In tracing Shuri, Ramonda, and Riri’s journeys through the film, this featurette explores what legacy ultimately means in Wakanda and how it will resonate with MCU viewers for years to come.
Deleted Scenes

• Outside The Scope – Okoye has a shocking standoff with Ayo and the Dora Milaje. Aneka makes a challenging decision.
  • The Upstairs Toilet – Ross infiltrates the NSA in disguise in an attempt to uncover information.
  • Daughter of the Border – After a conversation with her Uncle, Okoye is faced with a daunting choice.
  • Anytime, Anywhere – In Haiti, Shuri and Okoye share a bittersweet moment.
*Bonus features vary by product and retailer

Cast

Angela Bassett
as Queen Ramonda

Letitia Wright as Shuri

Winston Duke as M’Baku

Danai Gurira as Okoye

Florence Kasumba as Ayo

Lupita Nyong’o as Nakia

Martin Freeman as Everett Ross

Tenoch Huerta as Namor

Michaela Coel as Aneka

Mabel Cadena as Namora

Alex Livanalli as Attuma

Dominique Thorne as Riri Williams

Directed by

Ryan Coogler

Produced by

Kevin Feige, p.g.a.
Nate Moore, p.g.a.

Executive Producers

Louis D’Esposito

Victoria Alonso

Barry H. Waldman

Screenplay by

Ryan Coogler

& Joe Robert Cole

Story by

Ryan Coogler

Music By

Ludwig Göransson

Product Specifications

U.S. and Canada Street Date

Digital: February 1, 2023

Physical: February 7, 2023

Product SKUs

Digital: 4K UHD, HD, SD

Physical: 4K Ultra HD Combo Pack (4K UHD + Blu-ray + Digital Code), Blu-ray Combo Pack (Blu-ray + Digital Code) & DVD

Feature Run Time

Approx. 161 minutes

Rating

U.S.: Rated PG-13

Canada: Rated PG

Aspect Ratio

Digital: 2:39

Physical: 2.39:1

U.S. Audio

4K: English Dolby Atmos and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, and Spanish 7.1 Dolby Digital Plus

Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital

DVD: English and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, and English 2.0 Descriptive Audio

Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

Canada Audio

4K: English Dolby Atmos and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, and French 5.1 Dolby Digital

Blu-ray: English 7.1 DTS-HDMA and 2.0 Descriptive Audio, and French 5.1 Dolby Digital

DVD: English and French 5.1 Dolby Digital, and English 2.0 Descriptive Audio

Digital: English Dolby Atmos (UHD only, some platforms), English 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 & 2.0 Dolby Digital, English Descriptive Audio 2.0 Dolby Digital (some platforms)

U.S. Subtitles

4K: English SDH, Spanish

Blu-ray: English SDH, Spanish

DVD: English SDH, Spanish

Digital: English SDH, French, Spanish (some platforms)

Canada Subtitles

4K: English SDH, French

Blu-ray: English SDH, French

DVD: English SDH, French

Digital: English SDH, French, Spanish (some platforms)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Hunh. I think this'll be the first time that variant BB SteelBooks will be issued simultaneously. There have been a handful of titles that have gotten variant BBSBs, but in those cases, the second one was released months after the first.

I would love to get the Talokan variant, but it just looks too garish for my tastes. What I'd really like is the Wakanda outer cover with the Talokan inner print.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’ll Still Pick this one up even i thought it was inferior to the first in every way.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Prices seem to be going up. Best Buy is listing the standard Blu-ray at $27.99 and 4K at $33.99. The standard prices for major Disney new releases such as this the last few years have been $24.99 for Blu-ray and $29.99 for 4K. The steelbooks have previously been $34.99. I haven't seen either of the Wakanda Forever ones listed yet. But if the regular 4K edition is now only a dollar less than that, you can be sure the steelbooks will go up too.

Of course, there is the possibility that the price could be adjusted down before street date. But I'm not counting on that.

I understand that the price of everything is going up because of inflation, but this seems like a weird strategy to me. Disney discs are already among the most expensive on the market and yet contain less stuff than before. They use the IMAX framing and "Assembled" making-of documentaries as Disney+ exclusives while charging fans who still support physical media more money for les content. I will always believe in physical media, but this does not seem likely to entice customers.

That being said, it doesn't really matter if I complain here because of course I'm still going to buy this. Wakanda Forever was one of my favorite movies of the year and one of only four that I saw twice. I look forward to hearing the audio commentary in particular.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The two steelbook editions are both up for pre-order from Best Buy.

They are listed separately and are labeled "Wakanda" and "Talokan," respectively, in parenthesis as part of the listing title. Currently, the price is $38.99 each. That represents a $5 premium over the current $33.99 price point for the regular UHD keepcase release.

Here is Wakanda: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-...y-only--best-buy-2022/6530647.p?skuId=6530647

Herei s Talokan: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/black-...y-only--best-buy-2022/6530638.p?skuId=6530638

Normally, when I do a pre-order from Best Buy, it says "Get it by release date." These say "Ship by release date," which is a subtle difference but noticeable.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Disney Movie Club has its own exclusive edition too.
I know when DMC had an exclusive for Lightyear recently, it was just a different slipcover over the standard Blu-ray+DVD release.

Based on the artwork you posted, this appears to be the only way to get Wakanda Forever with a Blu-ray+DVD in the same package. The Blu-ray release of Thor: Ragnarok in March 2018 was the last time Disney released a Marvel title as a Blu-ray+DVD as a general release. Everything since Black Panther has been Blu-ray only.

On another note, here is the front and back artwork for the general release standard Blu-ray edition.

Black Panther front.jpeg

Black Panther back.jpeg

The front is obviously adapted from the movie's final theatrical poster. I don't normally like the big heads approach that Marvel usually uses. However, in this particular case, I like it more than usual because the concept of Wakanda and Talokan being reflections of each other is very effective. I'm glad the edition I need is using what I think is the best artwork available.

I love a good steelbook on occasion, but I don't want to have to worry about getting them for all films in a series as sprawling as the MCU. I have all of the films in keepcases so far, so that is what I am going to continue to get.

Interesting that Best Buy and Wal-Mart are getting exclusive editions but Target is not mentioned. The last time Target got a Disney-Marvel exclusive was Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. The fact that Wakanda Forever is not getting one seems to indicate that the absence of a Target exclusive for Thor: Love and Thunder was not a fluke. Target must have come to the conclusion that store exclusives for physical media no longer work for them and appear to be out of that business.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The two steelbook editions are both up for pre-order from Best Buy.

They are listed separately and are labeled "Wakanda" and "Talokan," respectively, in parenthesis as part of the listing title. Currently, the price is $38.99 each. That represents a $5 premium over the current $33.99 price point for the regular UHD keepcase release.

To put it another way, it's $4 higher than the $34.99 that BBSBs from Disney (and Warner) used to be. The recent Black Adam BBSB was $36.99, so this even higher price doesn't surprised me at all.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
To put it another way, it's $4 higher than the $34.99 that BBSBs from Disney (and Warner) used to be.
Right. But it isn't just the steelbooks. They are raising prices on every single edition.

Standard Blu-ray was $22.99, now $27.99.
Standard 4K keepcase was $29.99, now $33.99.
Steelbook was $34.99, now $38.99.

These prices are all ridiculous. A single-disc Blu-ray of the #3 movie of the year domestically should not cost as much as a new release Criterion. But Disney knows they have a disc that a lot of fans are going to want, so they can charge this. I'm not happy about it, but I have already pre-ordered my copy. Wakanda Forever was one of my favorite movies of last year, so of course I want the disc in my collection.

The steelbook for Strange World coming out a week later is $39.99. So at least the price for Wakanda Forever is being discounted an extra dollar compared to that one.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I never saw this during its theatrical run, but am perfectly happy waiting for the price to drop before I buy the disc. In the meantime, I'll catch it on D+ when it starts streaming.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
In the meantime, I'll catch it on D+ when it starts streaming.
Streaming is February 1, which is before the disc release anyway.

I find that it usually takes a long time for a Disney title of this magnitude to drop in price if it does at all. So I'm just going to get it.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I never saw this during its theatrical run, but am perfectly happy waiting for the price to drop before I buy the disc. In the meantime, I'll catch it on D+ when it starts streaming.
This would be a day one purchase for me if it had the IMAX framing. Since it doesn't, I'll stick with watching it on Disney+ too.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This would be a day one purchase for me if it had the IMAX framing.
Which sequences are framed in IMAX? I only saw it in scope.

I think this is why the disc being released in scope doesn't bother me personally. It accurately represents the version that I saw. That being said, I fully understand why fans of the IMAX ratio would want to own that version and sympathize with that. I think Disney should be providing both versions on disc, but of course they'd rather use it as a subscription incentive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks