What's new

Blu-Ray Movie Price Drops Today! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't think people were telling you to automatically dismiss anything you read on Amazon (though I could maybe see how you got that impression). There is information that a review just can't cover, so sources like Amazon or a discussion attached to a review can be very valuable to get user information like missing scenes, etc. The point most were trying to make is that you should read Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to more technical aspects of a disc.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
okay - i just felt pretty sure that this was worth passing along.

as i came to the same conclusion.

regular viewers may not be able to tell some stuff, but surely they should be able to tell if a scene is missing !!!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
jimmyjet said:
hi guys,

let me try one more time. i did as requested, with reviews. the only blu-ray review that i could find on bedazzled was at blu-ray.com.

i did not read every word, but i could find no mention of this review telling about a missing scene.

but on amazon, 3 of the 4 reviews all complain about a missing scene on the blu-ray version.
The reviews on Amazon were complaining about an "extra", which was an outtake that was on the DVD but was not carried over to the Blu-ray. There are no missing scenes from the movie. Another reason I find some of the Amazon reviews ridiculous is that one reviewer complained about the sound being DD True HD instead of DTS-HD Master Audio. Both are lossless audio and it's just silly to claim that one is better than the other.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi mark,

thanks for the clarification. however, i still think it was important to let others know.

if i buy a blu-ray, i am expecting everything on the dvd to be carried over, and maybe i get something more.

but i certainly am not expecting something less, such that i am forced to keep the dvd copy.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
jimmyjet said:
hi mark,

thanks for the clarification. however, i still think it was important to let others know.

if i buy a blu-ray, i am expecting everything on the dvd to be carried over, and maybe i get something more.

but i certainly am not expecting something less, such that i am forced to keep the dvd copy.
The problem is that sometimes, indeed more than i would like, the DVD had some extra's which are not carried over to the blu ray edition, a recent example is the ridiculous re-release of Spiderman, the mastered in 4K edition, clearly superior image wise to the old edition but the extra's are missing, this is despite the fact they have space on the disc to include the extra content, anyways that discussion is for another thread and not this one.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
jimmyjet said:

Prepare to be disappointed. There are BD's out there that do not port over all extras from the DVD versions.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thanks for letting me know. i need to look at the amazon reviews for that sort of info, after looking at an htf review for more technical issues.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Cameron Yee said:
I don't think people were telling you to automatically dismiss anything you read on Amazon (though I could maybe see how you got that impression). There is information that a review just can't cover, so sources like Amazon or a discussion attached to a review can be very valuable to get user information like missing scenes, etc. The point most were trying to make is that you should read Amazon reviews with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to more technical aspects of a disc.
The problems that I have with Amazon reviews:

1. They lump reviews of different releases of the same film all together, making it difficult or impossible to figure out which release is being reviewed.

2. Too many of the reviews make no mention of the PQ and audio. I already know enough about the film to be considering buying the BD or DVD. I want to know the quality of the disc, not particularly the quality of the film.

That said, there are some Amazon reviewers who do a good job. You just have to spend time looking for them!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Actually, one of my favorite hobbies, for when I am low, is to pick a bona-fide classic, and then read the one-star reviews on Amazon. It always brings a smile to my face reading some of the malarkey.

It works with books, movies, and music.

David

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jimmy:

If you've got a specific question about a specific title...the thing to do would be to do a search within the HTF for pre-existing threads about that title and see if the issue has been covered already.

If not, then you should start a thread in the appropriate section. In this case (about the Blu of Bedazzled), the Blu-ray software forum.

This thread--about Blu-ray movie price drops--would not be the proper place. We allow occasional side discussions to take place in threads...but it makes it very difficult to keep things organized when a number of sidebars end up running through a thread that is really designed to report pricing deals.

This strategy will also certainly yield better, quicker answers to your questions because members with informative input will be more likely to find your question in the right place.

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins

Amazon Daily Blu-Ray Deals 6/9/13:

Django Unchained

$13.00 (was: $14.99)

Gangster Squad

$9.99 (was: $24.99)

Cloud Atlas

$14.99 (was: $24.99)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D

$19.99 (was: $27.99)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

$14.99 (was: $24.96)

A Good Day to Die Hard

$14.99 (was: $19.99)

Ted (Unrated)

$12.00 (was: $14.49)

Zero Dark Thirty

$14.99 (was: $19.96)

House of Cards: The Complete First Season

$29.99 (was: $39.96)

Parker

$15.00 (was: $16.96)

Taken 2 (Theatrical & Unrated Extended Cuts)

$12.00 (was: $14.99)

The Ultimate War Blu-ray Bundle (The Great Escape / The Longest Day / Patton / Tora! Tora! Tora! / Twelve O'Clock High)

$38.99 (was: $116.99)

Copper: Season One

$20.99 (was: $42.56)

The Dark Knight (SteelBook)

$9.99 (was: $13.99)

Sherlock Holmes (SteelBook)

The Thing

$8.99 (was: $14.93)

Magical Mystery Tour Collectors Box Set (The Beatles / Book + 2 Mono 45RPM EPs)

$39.99 (was: $44.49)

Kevin Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins

Amazon Daily Blu-Ray Deals 6/10/13:

The Bourne Trilogy (The Bourne Identity / The Bourne Supremacy / The Bourne Ultimatum)

$22.78 (was: $25.49)

The Shawshank Redemption (SteelBook)

The Hangover (SteelBook)

The Hangover Part II (SteelBook)

Kevin Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins

Amazon Daily Blu-Ray Deals 6/11/13:

Skyfall (James Bond)

$12.00 (was: $19.99)

A Good Day to Die Hard

Zero Dark Thirty

$13.18 (was: $14.99)

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

The Hunchback of Notre Dame: 2 Movie Collection (The Hunchback of Notre Dame / The Hunchback of Notre Dame II)

$15.29 (was: $22.49)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
"
The Woody Allen Blu-ray Bundle (Annie Hall, Manhattan, Sleeper, Hannah and Her Sisters) (2013)
"
This is $31.49 today.

Other bundles on THIS page. I'm at work and out of time so I can't lists them out. :(

Kevin Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins

Amazon Daily Blu-Ray Deals 6/12/13:

Chinatown (SteelBook)

The Departed (SteelBook)

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3D

$16.14 (was: $20.02)

Face/Off (SteelBook)

$9.99 (was: $14.93)

Mud

$16.99 (was: $22.49)

Silver Streak

$12.99 (was: $17.99)

Watchmen (SteelBook)

$9.99 (was: $12.96)

V for Vendetta (SteelBook)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Walmart has V for Vendetta and Watchmen for similar pricing. I think V is $7.88. Watchmen might be $10. Please the first 2 Batmans, the newer ones, for $10.

On amazon, Star Trek the original series blu set is $89. I wish I had the money. But too much preordered, too much arrived in the mail today. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks