What's new

Black Friday 2017 hauls - what did you get? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ I hear ya on monitors. I have a 23" Asus that I bought nearly 10 years ago! Still works perfect. But those larger ones are looking might nice! Can't though... also want a very small tv/dvd player for my kitchen when doing dishes.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
IMG_3344.jpg

JL Montague

Auditioning
Real Name
James
I opened Mad Max already or I'd prob returned it too for 3D. oh well... still a good deal for the others in that set.

May I ask if any of the movies in this set included digital codes?
I'm asking because I buy movies for the assistants at my job as an impersonal, can't-take-this-the-wrong-way gift every year, usually current/popular titles because they're all in their early 20s so "classics" are wasted on 'em. They're also young enough to think the first Guardians of the Galaxy is a "classic." All of the other titles (Wonder Woman, Logan, Spider-Man Homecoming, John Wick 2, Get Out) are blu-ray/dvd/digital HD so if they want to trade with each other, wind up with 3 movies, I can't blame them. So I was wondering if this 4-pack also had UV/MA codes. I bought Gravity and Fury Road when they were new, and they were blu/dvd/digital packs too, I figure these sets don't have dvd, but maybe digital?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share...

JL Montague

Auditioning
Real Name
James
Businesses in Canada have adopted "Black Friday" as a sales strategy, even though it has nothing to do with any holiday such as Thanksgiving.

Not to get all Cliff Clavin, but Black Friday really isn't about Thanksgiving per se, so much as it's "the start of the holiday shopping season," and historically/anecdotally, the period between Jan 1 and Thanksgiving is when stores are just breaking even, and the holiday shopping is their profit for the year. That's why it's Black Friday, from when accountants used ledgers and wrote expenses in red and profits in black. It's the day stores stop running in the red, and start running in the black.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Not to get all Cliff Clavin, but Black Friday really isn't about Thanksgiving per se, so much as it's "the start of the holiday shopping season," and historically/anecdotally, the period between Jan 1 and Thanksgiving is when stores are just breaking even, and the holiday shopping is their profit for the year. That's why it's Black Friday, from when accountants used ledgers and wrote expenses in red and profits in black. It's the day stores stop running in the red, and start running in the black.

Well the main thing is that you guys down there have a history and somewhat of a tradition when it comes to "Black Friday", whereas in Canada it is a relatively new concept. Up here, "Black Friday" just seems to mean "let's have a sale" like any other sale day or week. Hell, one Canadian chain, Canadian Tire, had a "Red Thursday". I'm like....WOT?? Is it anything like the "Red Wedding"? Come into our stores and get massacred at the till. :laugh:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm asking because I buy movies for the assistants at my job as an impersonal, can't-take-this-the-wrong-way gift every year, usually current/popular titles because they're all in their early 20s so "classics" are wasted on 'em. They're also young enough to think the first Guardians of the Galaxy is a "classic." All of the other titles (Wonder Woman, Logan, Spider-Man Homecoming, John Wick 2, Get Out) are blu-ray/dvd/digital HD so if they want to trade with each other, wind up with 3 movies, I can't blame them. So I was wondering if this 4-pack also had UV/MA codes. I bought Gravity and Fury Road when they were new, and they were blu/dvd/digital packs too, I figure these sets don't have dvd, but maybe digital?

First, welcome to the HTF Forum :)

I can't answer your specific question regarding That particular version of the WB multi-packs ... For mine 3 out of 4 had DVDs & Digital codes ... I don't typically redeem UV codes but I'm trying to get MoviesAnywhere to worK (at or or with more than Disney owned-titles. One of the codes (for Jersey Boys) indicated that it had expired on 11/17/17 but I set up an UltraVioilet account (as I believe Flixter - WB's recommended platform is not part of MA and from what I understand it is gone) and the code worked. My guess is that for the other WB fourpacks the results would be similar.

These sets were only available around Black Friday at Wal*Mart and are not part of the regular stock ... They may go to a discounter such as Big Lots! after but I didn't see any of them left at my local Wal*Mart today. I hope this helps ...

Last edited:

JL Montague

Auditioning
Real Name
James
First, welcome to the HTF Forum :)

I can't answer your specific question regarding That particular version of the WB multi-packs ... For mine 3-4 had DVDs & Digital codes ... I don't typically redeem UV codes but I'm trying to get MoviesAnywhere to worK (at or or with more than Disney owned-titles. One of the codes (for Jersey Boys) indicated that it had expired on 11/17/17 but I set up an UltraVioilet account (as I believe Flixter - WB's recommended platform is not part of MA and from what I understand it is gone) and the code worked. My guess is that for the other WB fourpacks the results would be similar.

These sets were only available around Black Friday at Wal*Mart and are not part of the regular stock ... They may go to a discounter such as Big Lots! after but I didn't see any of them left at my local Wal*Mart today. I hope this helps ...

Thanks for the welcome.

If you have a UV account, and set up/link a vudu account, you can redeem codes at vudu. But once you set up/link a movies anywhere account, you can redeem codes on their site as well. Movies Anywhere doesn't directly sell or rent movies - they'll direct you to your digital retailer of choice for that - but they let you watch your MA library (a lot of which will also be on your UV account) and they let you redeem codes that come with physical media.

mark brown

Supporting Actor
Of the many purchases, ordered Silence by Scorsese. It may have played a week or two here at the beginning of the year. It requires patience, but payoff is worth it. Cinematography is incredible. All for $5.99!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
got the dreaded UPS tracking message "late trailer wit yo stuff on it/rescheduling it so stfu we don't care the weekends coming up so don't ask we'll let you know just be patient 3D TV boy"
(read this in a forum when someone was venting their upset over the same message) "aaaahhhh... First World problems... you poor thing..." :p

Bright side, 3D glasses, high speed cables, big stack of 3D movies... in the house! :rock: And more time to move tables/cabinets around for best positioning of new TV! woo hooooooo!!! :cheers:

fe6df30cd5bd5a22aeadbf2e155fc568.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry

no code info on the boxes whatsoever

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That sucks, James. I was worried about the same thing with the Samsung 49-inch 4K display UPS finally delivered last night, as it had a large gouge on the side of the box. Fortunately, my display fared much better than yours and wasn't damaged.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I'm sure the lesson here is don't buy after market tvs even if the desire for a discontinued legacy tech like 3D is strong. You're playing with too much fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks