What's new

Blu-Ray Movie Price Drops Today! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins

Amazon Daily Blu-Ray Deals 6/4/13:

Jubal (The Criterion Collection)

$14.99 (was: $21.83)

Blade Runner (30th Anniversary Collector's Edition)

$29.99 (was: $31.49)

Parker

$16.96 (was: $19.49)

Kevin Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins

Amazon Daily Blu-Ray Deals 6/5/13:

The Mel Brooks Collection (Blazing Saddles / High Anxiety / History of the World: Part I / Robin Hood: Men in Tights / Silent Movie / Spaceballs / To Be or Not to Be / Twelve Chairs / Young Frankenstein)

$23.99 (was: $34.99)

Men in Black 3

$11.47 (was: $18.28)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am not a big fan of mel brooks movies. but at the price, i was thinking about buying it. but when i went to amazon, there were people complaining about many of the movies had been edited.

and i suspect that this is true, which is why the price is that low.

anyways, for your real fans of his, i thought i would say something so you can investigate for yourselves, if you choose.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
jimmyjet said:
i am not a big fan of mel brooks movies. but at the price, i was thinking about buying it. but when i went to amazon, there were people complaining about many of the movies had been edited.and i suspect that this is true, which is why the price is that low. anyways, for your real fans of his, i thought i would say something so you can investigate for yourselves, if you choose.
Can you be specific? I have the set and haven't had any problems with the editing.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
from one of the reviews

Fox should be ashamed of what it has done to these movies! All eight of these movies are presented as being "wide screen". However, for most of them this is achieved by removing the top and bottom of the old full screen image.I compared all eight of these DVDs to the VHS releases, and found that five of the movies have been cropped to make them appear "widescreen". The VHS formats are in a 16 x 12 ratio (the proportaions of the old-fashioned standard US TV screen). Fox has removed the top eighth and bottom eighth of each movie to make them fill the new 16 x 9 ratio widescreen TVs. The following five movies in this set have been cropped: Young Frankenstein, High Anxiety, Silent Movie, To Be or Not To Be, Robin Hood. The DVDs in this set present only 3/4 of the image that was shown on the old VHS releases.The other three (Twelve Chairs, Blazing Saddles, History of the World, Part 1) appear to be true wide-screen releases. The DVDs show the full picture from the VHS releases, but wider.When will studios understand that what most buyers want is the full image of the original movie, regardless of its proportions? Cutting part of the image to make it appear to fit your TV screen is butchering the original product. Please do not promote this practice with the purchase of this set; wait for a proper release.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
it wasnt meant to be.

if it is false information, just ignore it.

i was simply passing it on.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
jimmyjet said:
it wasnt meant to be.

if it is false information, just ignore it.

i was simply passing it on.
Jimmy, please do a search of this forum about aspect ratios. You will learn a lot and will eventually understand why reviewers on Amazon have no clue what they are talking about.

Meanwhile, PLEASE don't let this thread become infected with discussion about this subject!!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I sometimes wonder if those Amazon readers who complain about not having full screen images are still watching on old 4:3 TVs, or do they have a 16:9 set and simply stretch those old open matte transfers from VHS to "fill the screen." And what must Blazing Saddles (shot in Panavision) look like to them?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Mark-P said:
Jimmy, please do a search of this forum about aspect ratios. You will learn a lot and will eventually understand why reviewers on Amazon have no clue what they are talking about.

Meanwhile, PLEASE don't let this thread become infected with discussion about this subject!!!
Nicely handled and diplomatic, Mark.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I stopped at Spaceballs. I really must have fun with Mel's Balls soon... love that! Some of the best Candy ever!

and get your minds out of the gutter. :p

Kevin Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins

Amazon Daily Blu-Ray Deals 6/6/13:

The Resident Evil Collection (Resident Evil / Resident Evil: Apocalypse / Resident Evil: Extinction / Resident Evil: Afterlife / Resident Evil: Retribution)

$29.99 (was: $59.96)

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters

$14.99 (was: $19.96)

Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (2 Movie Collection)

$18.43 (was: $24.99)

Unforgiven (20th Anniversary Edition) (DigiBook)

$9.99 (was: $20.22)

Resident Evil: Retribution

$12.30 (was: $14.99)

Miller's Crossing

$7.80 (was: $10.99)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
thanks guys,

i am passing on mel brooks - i cant stand his stuff. i realize that even a cheap price is too expensive !!!

any guess as to what percentage of all released blu-rays have reviews here at htf ?

i noticed the 50-disk collection of warner brothers. any other good collections ? it may be a less expensive way for me to build up my collection.

Kevin Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins

Amazon Daily Blu-Ray Deals 6/7/13:

Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (2 Movie Collection)

$18.07 (was: $24.99)

Badlands (The Criterion Collection)

$19.18 (was: $19.99)

Safe House

$9.99 (was: $11.49)

Bedazzled

$8.99 (was: $13.83)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi guys,

let me try one more time. i did as requested, with reviews. the only blu-ray review that i could find on bedazzled was at blu-ray.com.

i did not read every word, but i could find no mention of this review telling about a missing scene.

but on amazon, 3 of the 4 reviews all complain about a missing scene on the blu-ray version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks