What's new

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Billy Batson said:
Two fifties Fox westerns coming from Koch on March 24th, The Last Wagon & White Feather. I'll probably buy the German Last Wagon (rather than the French) as it's bound not to have any forced subs.
Those two blu-ray titles are definite buys for me.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Robin9 said:
attachicon.gif
Colossus Of Rhodes, The.jpg

The Colossus Of Rhodes is now available on blu-ray in Germany and Amazon Germany has this on offer for a mere 4.97 Euros! The comments from customers suggest that the picture quality is quite good but deteriorates towards the end of the film.

At that bargain price, I'll order this when I next buy from Amazon Germany.
Is the film dubbed into English or was it originally in English? II suspect that it was originally dubbed.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
John Hermes said:
The watched Gunman's Walk tonight and am happy with the BD picture (CinemaScope 2.55 AR) and sound quality. It has English and German tracks with the main title in the opening credits being the German one. The rest of the credits are English. It is a pretty intense story and a bit different from most 1950s Westerns. I liked it a lot. Van Heflin is always excellent.
http://www.amazon.de/Duell-Morgengrauen-Blu-ray-Van-Heflin/dp/B011DF2U80/ref=sr_1_1

Thanks for this recommendation, John. Blind-bought it on your say-so and watched it last night. Absorbing from start to finish.

Yet another top-notch performance by Van Heflin, and the rest of the cast rose to match him well.

The cinematography was also well done, but the thing that impressed me by far the most was the intelligent and rock-solid screenplay. I checked afterwards and saw that the screenwriter was Frank S Nugent, which explained everything.

Not the most razor-sharp HD, but very watchable with minor damage. Very pleased to have this in my collection.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
cinemiracle said:
Is the film dubbed into English or was it originally in English? II suspect that it was originally dubbed.
I don't know when the post you quoted was first made, but the Blu of COLUSSUS OF RHODES is currently selling for 15 euros, not 4.97, and the listing says it does not have an English track on it. ???

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Professor Echo said:
I don't know when the post you quoted was first made, but the Blu of COLUSSUS OF RHODES is currently selling for 15 euros, not 4.97, and the listing says it does not have an English track on it. ???
That does not answer my question as to whether it is dubbed into English. Most Italian films of this era and type were dubbed into English for International release. There is nothing worse than watching a film that has been dubbed.The dialogue was often dubbed by two people and it always sounded like they were reading a script rather acting out the dialogue. I refuse to watch any film that has been dubbed.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The German Blu doesn't have the dub, but of course it was dubbed, just like all the sword and sandal movies were - they were DESIGNED to be dubbed - how could they NOT be dubbed for heaven's sake? Most of these had American actors in them, French actors, Italian actors, German actors, all speaking in their native tongues while filming. So, for example, if you saw an Italian DUB (because they're ALL dubbed), you would not be hearing any of the right voices save for maybe the Italian voices and even then it might not be the on screen actor at all. I mean, do you listen to the Italian dub of A Fistful of Dollars or any of Leone's dollars films? Because you're certainly not hearing Clint Eastwood if you are. Nor Lee Van Cleef, nor Eli Wallach.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
cinemiracle said:
That does not answer my question as to whether it is dubbed into English. Most Italian films of this era and type were dubbed into English for International release. There is nothing worse than watching a film that has been dubbed.The dialogue was often dubbed by two people and it always sounded like they were reading a script rather acting out the dialogue. I refuse to watch any film that has been dubbed.
I wasn't trying to answer your question, especially since I thought it was common knowledge that nearly every genre film from Italy during this era was dubbed for international distribution. I was asking a question about when the post you quoted was made as the Blu under discussion had increased in price since that post and the info showed it contained no English options.

Stefano B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stefano
I don't recall anybody mentioning it before, so I guess this may be good news for some... Explosive Media will be releasing blu-ray versions of Budd Boetticher's Comanche Station, Andre DeToth's Stranger Wore a Gun (not 3D, unfortunately), and Tony Mann's The Last Frontier early next year. All of them are Sony-Columbia titles, but considering its previous western releases (Fort Massacre, Backlash, Gunman's Walk) this company should have deals with MGM and Universal, too...

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
The German Colossus of Rhodes has NO English subs option, or I would have bought it day one. I love the fabulous westerns that we are seeing from Germany, but I sure wish they would release BD's of at least a few of the peplum films some of us enjoyed as kids, and WITH English subtitles.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I have the complete Edgar Wallace DVD set and it looks good. Why couldn't they put two on each disk? These run a little over an hour apiece don't they? As I remember they are very short.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
bigshot said:
I have the complete Edgar Wallace DVD set and it looks good. Why couldn't they put two on each disk? These run a little over an hour apiece don't they? As I remember they are very short.
I wonder if you're thinking of the U.K. Edgar Wallace films set? Those movies are about an hour long. These German film adaptations of Wallace stories are longer. They epitomize what's known as the German KRIMI film, or crime movies. They have previously been released on DVD in Germany and the copies are excellent, but some had no English options. I have the entire set of German DVDs so I wouldn't spend a lot on the Blus, but would be interested in double dipping for the titles I currently own which have no English subs.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Professor Echo said:
I wonder if you're thinking of the U.K. Edgar Wallace films set? Those movies are about an hour long. These German film adaptations of Wallace stories are longer. They epitomize what's known as the German KRIMI film, or crime movies. They have previously been released on DVD in Germany and the copies are excellent, but some had no English options. I have the entire set of German DVDs so I wouldn't spend a lot on the Blus, but would be interested in double dipping for the titles I currently own which have no English subs.

I've never seen any of the German Edgar Wallace films and I don't know what a typical German Krimi film is like either. Are the German Edgar Wallace films worth watching?

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Robin9 said:
I've never seen any of the German Edgar Wallace films and I don't know what a typical German Krimi film is like either. Are the German Edgar Wallace films worth watching?
I like the German KRIMI genre very much, particularly the Wallace films. But the latter are unlike the U. K. Wallaces because some incorporate elements of humor in them, not really broad humor, more in the form of a comic relief character or two or occasional camp. The U.K. Wallace movies are more straightforward and dour. I like those too, but the German ones are usually more fun. My German gf tells me the Wallaces diminish in quality with the later entries from the end of the 60's and into the 70's, most of which I haven't seen yet. The black and white pictures from earlier are revered as beloved classics in Germany, but the color ones are considered hit and miss.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
bigshot said:
It is typical of the British marketing system.It makes good ( but very stupid) business sense not to put two films on the one disc. You only have to look at what they did to the final season of DOWTON ABBEY. They NEVER included the final episode so I had to order a separate disc containing the grand finale ( called their Xmas special). EXTREMELY ANNNOYING.Be aware if this when it is released in the U.S.A. Season 6 may be the final season but it was not the end of the show.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
cinemiracle said:
It is typical of the British marketing system.It makes good ( but very stupid) business sense not to put two films on the one disc. You only have to look at what they did to the final season of DOWTON ABBEY. They NEVER included the final episode so I had to order a separate disc containing the grand finale ( called their Xmas special). EXTREMELY ANNNOYING.Be aware if this when it is released in the U.S.A. Season 6 may be the final season but it was not the end of the show.
Uh, if you look just a couple of posts up from yours you will see that I explained Bigshot was most likely referring to the UK set, but the edition he linked to was for the German Edgar Wallace films, not the British ones. So the set he linked to has nothing to do with British marketing or business sense. They are German Blu Rays. :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Professor Echo said:
Uh, if you look just a couple of posts up from yours you will see that I explained Bigshot was most likely referring to the UK set, but the edition he linked to was for the German Edgar Wallace films, not the British ones. So the set he linked to has nothing to do with British marketing or business sense. They are German Blu Rays. :)
You're fighting a losing battle here, if you get my meaning :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks