What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

International BLU-RAY DISCS FROM GERMANY (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
MY orders for the Anolis Brides of Dracula and the complete uncut Death Wish 2 have just been despatched to the UK so I hope to have them by the end of the week.

Not usually a widescreen nazi but the 2:1 of the UK Brides was a bit too tight and the German one is 1.85 so I'm hoping it looks better.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick
macdaddy said:
I have The Rawhide Years. I rate it very high. The pq is excellent and the movie is very good IMO. Spend your money you can't lose. It's a winner!!

Also I would also suggest The Last Wagon with Richard Widmark. Excellent western

which looks and sounds amazing.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that title in mind the next time I make some purchases. I already own The Last Wagon on DVD from Fox and I really like it.

RMajidi said:
Rick, Star in the Dust is a good quality Blu with no damage, but not in the same stellar HD league of Cave of Outlaws and Western Union. It was a blind buy for me, but I really enjoyed it despite a recurring song that I disliked. Good quality picture and sound.

I also agree with Gary's comments about the excellent DVD of The Last Wagon, featuring the always enjoyable Richard Widmark.

I have several of the titles you mentioned, but haven't yet ordered the George Sherman collection, so please post again to share your findings on this (that is if the region code doesn't lock you out).

[Edit: Canyon Passage is another visual treat you might like to try sometime]
Thanks for letting me know about the quality and I'll keep checking the price of it. Yea, I was skeptic of the George Sherman Collection since I haven't seen any posts about the region code, but once I get it I'll post here about what I find. I'm a fan of Dana Andrews so I know I'll get that in the near future and thanks for letting me know it's a visual treat.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
macdaddy said:
I have The Rawhide Years. I rate it very high. The pq is excellent and the movie is very good IMO. Spend your money you can't lose. It's a winner!!
John Hermes said:
I have The Rawhide Years too, and agree with your comments.
macdaddy said:
Just ordered the Sherman Collection. Apache Drums, Naked Dawn, and BLACK BART! How could i pass that one by?? Its just got to be a winner.

Thank you for the tip re The Rawhide Years and Black Bart - I've just added both to my cart for my next batch purchase.

Kansas Raiders is another Koch Blu that features Tony Curtis, starring the great Audie Murphy. It has a couple of damaged frames, but overall the PQ is excellent - the opening images of the fire, jaw-dropping.

RLane777 said:
Thanks for letting me know about the quality and I'll keep checking the price of it.
Re Star in the Dust - although Clint Eastwood's name is understandably splashed on the Blu-ray cover, his role is very brief as a goofy extra. Far more substantial are the roles played by Leif Erickson ('Big John' Cannon from High Chaparral, one of my favourite TV shows as a kid) and the ever-reliable Harry Morgan (Col. Sherman Potter of M.A.S.H. - another of my TV favourites).

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Bob Cashill said:
Who's put out Death Wish 2? Does Amazon.de have it?

Accually, it is not German but Austrian. NSM is the publisher.

Amazon.de doesn't have it, maybe the Austrian Amazon side (amazon.at). When I try it I get redirect to the German side.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
turtledove said:
MY orders for the Anolis Brides of Dracula and the complete uncut Death Wish 2 have just been despatched to the UK so I hope to have them by the end of the week.

Not usually a widescreen nazi but the 2:1 of the UK Brides was a bit too tight and the German one is 1.85 so I'm hoping it looks better.

I agree that the UK blu-ray is a little tight in places and look forward to your comments on the German edition.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
I ordered a separate Death Wish 2 with cover A , then Brides of Dracula with DW2 Cover B but for some reason only Cover A arrived today. They were all posted together as far as I know so it seems strange.

However, DW2 is region free and looks very nice. The dvd is also nice quality. Bluray is DTS HD audio and bonus features are limited to some text screen bios of the cast ( in German) and trailers for DW 2,3,4 and 5.

As expected all subs are optional.

It's nice to finally complete the DW series on Bluray so the US R rated joke disc can now be forgotten.

The unrated version opens with the MGM fanfare so the theory that MGM only deal with the R version is wrong.

Ignore the 75 minute running time showing on Amazon Germany where the film is now listed.

http://www.amazon.de/Death-Wish-Mann-Gnade-Blu-ray/dp/B00QNSKBP2/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1448575469&sr=1-1&keywords=death+wish

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
The Brides of Dracula is a more pleasing 1.78:1 ratio on the German disc although there are moments when there is more top or bottom image on the UK disc but presumably because the full image is 1.66:1. The German disc is definitely better than the UK one and all the bonus features have removeable subtitles.

turtledove

Second Unit
Real Name
gerry
Keith Cobby said:
Thanks for that. Do you think both releases use the same source and it is just the framing that is different?

I couldn't say but I wouldn't have expected Final Cut to be supplied with either a 1.66 or 1.78 master then deliberately mask it off.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I just ordered The Corrupt Ones ( 1967 ) from Germany - has anyone actually purchased this title? It looks like a very passable '60's spy flick starring Robert Stack, Elke Sommer and Nancy Kwan, from what I have read on Amazon Germany it has a very nice image quality, don't know if it is Region free but I will find out. Aspect ratio is 2:35 with 2.0 English available. The studio appears to be Alive which usually produces very good blu rays.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I got the "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and it is quite remarkable. Contains 2 blus--one has the 130 min version and the other the 160 minute version. Great job, clean prints and what looks like true Technicolor (save the reconstructed bits.) Extras are a radio version with Cooper and Bergman and trailers. There are two German dubs--one used for the 130 release and the other newly-done for the restored version. The dubbing is superior in the vintage dub The original English soundtrack was very clear.

Simon Lewis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon Lewis
Brent Avery said:
I just ordered The Corrupt Ones ( 1967 ) from Germany - has anyone actually purchased this title?
Yes. I watched this a few weeks ago. Thought it was good fun. PQ is very good, strong colours, good detail. There is a problem in one scene for about 2 minutes, a narrow strip from the top of the frame, ends up on the bottom of the frame, which is rather distracting. It should have been corrected. I was expecting this film to be a low budget film, but it actually looks quite expensive with some good location work. Quite violent for a 1967 film, it was originally cut by the BBFC for an A certificate (PG). I think the blu-ray is probably uncut, but I couldnt say for sure.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Simon - Thank you for the heads up - and who could go wrong with Elke Sommer and Nancy Kwan? Perhaps when House Of Bamboo arrives as well I should treat myself to a Stack triple feature by adding The Tarnished Angels that I already have to the mix. Robert Stack is apparently not everyone's cup of tea but I actually enjoy his seemingly "wooden" acting as it has been often described, he just has a different style.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I just purchased the two Audie Murphy collections on DVD, as well as several other Westerns on Blu-ray from Koch. Amazon.de is quite the source for hard to find Westerns. I've also picked up a few SciFi and Film Noir from Germany over the years, some DVD's while others Blu-ray version not available anywhere else. Thanks Koch and Amazon.de.

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
But you must be careful. I just received one today that doesn't have english dialog nor subtitles. Useless to me. I usually check for languages but I slipped up on this one. So be careful!

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
macdaddy said:
But you must be careful. I just received one today that doesn't have english dialog nor subtitles. Useless to me. I usually check for languages but I slipped up on this one. So be careful!
Which one is it?

macdaddy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
It's Adler Schwinge by Western Klassiker Erstmals Auf DVD. The english title is Drums Across The River, but this is nowhere on the label. Its star is Audie Murphy. It is a dvd not a blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks