What's new

Blu-Ray 5th Element -> Possible Bad Transfer. (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
David Boulet just posted on AVS that 5thE may have interlacing problems similar to some of the Warner HD titles. That would explain a lot. These people need to get on the ball and fix these issues. I have more confidence that Warner will address them than Sony.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Thats what's nice about not being an early adopter, let them work out the glitches. And it definately seems like the launch of HD has alot more issues than SD had when it launched

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

The way I see it, the main issues with the HD side are the need for a bigger, better retail push and more titles, especially big ones. True 1080p and ability to decode advanced codecs are important as well.

On the BD side, I’m really, REALLY tired of this Sony “we’re sticking with MPEG2” nonsense. They need to be told that won’t cut it, especially while BD is limited to 25gb. I hope the other studios ignore that idea and use advanced codecs ASAP. And BD50 needs to happen VERY soon, otherwise what’s the point of BD from a technical standpoint?

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Replication lines are being built & tested and online in September. This is less time than what it took DVD-9 from launch.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Good, then titles should be showing up before the end of the year. I’ll wait to see it a reality.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
We weren't talking about VC-1 being more efficient (it is). What is the issue here is how the film looks and until you can produce a VC-1 version from the same master you can't blame MPEG2!

The film needs a new transfer or this may be just how it looks. Don't blame the beer goggles...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You claimed I had “absolutely” no basis for saying use of MPEG2 can cause problems with BD titles on the currently limited space available to them. I gave good, sound technical reasons (at least one of which you acknowledge) showing otherwise.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
I wonder if there's an issue with source materials with The Fifth Element. The film was made by European company Gaumont, and it may be that Sony only have dupe elements to work from. (Just a suggestion!)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Basically, we will have to wait until September before anyone can actually experience the 'superiority' of Blu-ray.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

And by your twisiting you could say HD DVD has already hit the wall...no more space. Transfers from 1080i masters, long length films like "Kong" conspicuously absent, no new players on the horizon...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does every thread have to resort to what's been said over the last couple of posts? I really don't understand the sniping because it serves no real purpose other than to be argumentative.

Crawdaddy

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member

You're referring to things decided at the *studio* level, not the format.

Everything you just described could be done by Warner on the Blu-ray version. On a single layer BR disc. Point is it can be done NOW if the studio so chose to.

Already you're seeing HD DVD discs comprimised for lack of space: the dual format disc of "16 Blocks" does NOT have a Dolby TrueHD track. Reason: it's a SINGLE layer HD DVD disc (15GB) on one side, DVD on the other.

Pete T C

Second Unit

Funny you mention that since hybrid DVD/HD is something Blu-Ray is technically incapable of, as Sony and JVC have called it quits on getting it to work. No fear though, there is a HDDVD30/DVD9 hybrid disc in the works; a lot more technically than can be said than for Blu-Ray's complete lack of hybrids.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

According to the latest issue of WIDESCREEN REVIEW, the dual format discs are 30gb dual layer HD DVD on one side, and 9gb SD DVD on the other. RUMOR HAS IT looks as good or better than many of the regular HD DVD's released.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Widescreen Review is, as far as I know, the only source making such a claim. I'm just about 100% certain they're wrong.

Another indicator -- flip over any HD DVD disc confirmed as being dual-layer and you'll see two barcodes on the inner ring -- one bar code for each layer. The combo discs only have one.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

It might have been a typo. Anyway, RUMOR HAS IT does look very nice, but it is only 93 minutes. Haven't seen any other dual discs yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks