What's new

Beowulf discussion (1 Viewer)

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Oh, that's just weird, man. That's going in the direction of Uncanny Valley type stuff. This is still obviously animated, but it won't be too long before someone makes a movie that seriously freaks people out.

My gut tells me this would've been a stronger piece as live action. Then again, what do I know.

Regards,
Nathan

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I think you can only say that about Jolie and Hopkins, and that's probably because their looks were perfect for their roles. But, Ray Winstone, Robin Wright Penn and John Malkovich don't look like their characters. (Maybe Penn in her younger days, but not anymore.)

Jason

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I've heard the effect is much better on the big screen, and better than that in 3-D. I heard similar things about The Polar Express.

Anyways, I'm pretty excited for the film. And film with Winstone as the lead has to be pretty cool. I wasn't huge on TPE, but Zemeckis is still a director worth watching. I hope Beowulf is all it can be. It's pretty mythic stuff.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Based on the early shots and all that made the rounds I was pretty excited for this film. After having watched the trailer, my interest has also somewhat diminished. It just didn't connect with me for some reason.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Somewhat related: Silvestri's music for Beowulf in a suite, in its world premiere not too long ago:

Matthew_Def

Stunt Coordinator
I think it looks good. The eyes look vastly improved from Polar Express.

It seems pretty smart to me to make it all CG. Some of this stuff would have no choice but to be done CG and then you have real live actors looking out of place with CG creatures, especially considering the interaction between Beowulf and the creatures. It would really kill the mood seeing little inconsistencies. So a consistent style is created by just making it all CG, but with performance capture you get the benefit of these great actors.

I hope that it turns out really well.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
So Matthew, you think it would have sucked if they had real people interacting with CGI creatures like in the Lord of the Rings films? I'm sorry, I just don't think you just can't replace real people. I think people accept CGI creatures and monster more because, well, they don't exist in reality. These characters just look like mannequins to me.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott

LOL, I would bet good money that the animators/Model makers for this film have "played" around with the "nude Angelina" digital model. They would have surely had to make one for this film. I bet it ends up online soon. :)

Kami

Screenwriter
I thought the trailer was awesome, but as for the CG itself....I'm not so sure. I think maybe if it was more intentionally CG and less trying-to-be-realistic it might leave a better taste in my mouth. A perfect example is Blizzard's cinematics...similar style of CG but less realistic and it comes off way better IMO.

This middle ground between traditional CG and live action is just weird. Sometimes it looks great, other times it looks awful (like that shot of robin wright penn....scary!)

Joe:C

Second Unit
Does anyone know what kind of rating they're going for? The AICN story mentions a PG-13, but Beowulf seems like its "R" material.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Agreed, this would have been much better as a live action film IMO. If they can do LOTR, they can do Beowulf. I love Zemeckis but I wish he'd get of this CGI kick, I mean even his next movie is going to use the same CGI technique. Beowulf deserves a huge live action epic movie in the spirit of LOTR and I think Zemeckis would be a great fit. I miss his live action movies and hope he returns to them one day. As for the Beowulf trailer, it didn't do much for me (just like The Polar Express didn't impress me at all) and I just think it would have been much better shot live.

Jose Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jose Martinez
The international trailer is much better. Why? It has Angelina nude!!!!! Woo Hoo!!! Cannot wait to see this film.

:)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
If the movie were traditional CGI superimposed over live action it wouldn't look very good. I could name 20 examples...just doesn't work. An animated film has the added benefit of not needing to build a prop dragon :)

Considering the vast number of animated movies that look spectacular 50+ years later, plus Zemeckis, I've giving this movie the benefit of the doubt.

PS: Jolie "nude" does not include "naughty bits covered in honey" unless a CGI Hilary Swank is "licking it off her".
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks