What's new

Bass shaker connection with only une sub out (1 Viewer)

Hi:
My new receiver/amplifier has only one sub preout whereas my old broken one had 2. How do I now connect my sub and my bass shaker? If I use a Y connector to split the signal, will either be affected and will it be noticeable and correctable? Thanks.
John

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
My Denon 3802 has only one sub out and I have 2 subs connected to it as well as the amp powering 6 50 watt Aura Pro Bass Shakers. I use a Y splitter and have not had problems but loose stuff coming off the walls everytime and the occasional " What the F#@*& was that?!?!" from first time guest seated in my HT.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Yeah, a simple Y-splitter is what you need. Make sure to recalibrate your sub when you hook up the other end of the split to the amplifier for your shakers. You should lose about 6dB as a result of the splitting the signal between two loads.

-- Dave

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I would double check the impedances before using a y-connector on speaker wires.

If the bass shaker or an unpowered subwoofer had an impedance the same as the lowest recommended for the amp, I would connect the bass shaker and subwoofer in series. Otherwise the amp could be overloaded.

For example if the sub and bass shaker were both 8 ohms, a parallel connection (Y-connector) yields 4 ohms while connecting in series yields 16 ohms. The latter is safer for an 8 ohm amp.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The "sub pre-out" is a RCA jack so these are line-level signals (low power) so you dont have to worry about impedences.

Some subs are wired with speaker wire from the reciever, then more wire to the L/R speakers. With this setup, you do have to worry about impedences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks