What's new

Sub cable in the wall with a broken RCA connector (1 Viewer)

jf8

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Hi everybody -

In my basement I have what should be a good quality subwoofer cable with RCA connectors (monoprice) running through the wall to my subwoofer. I had planned to someday end that in a wall plate with another cable to connect to the sub but never got around to it, so it just ran through a round hole in a plastic box cover and connected to the sub. (I now realize this may not have been the best way to do this, and I would have been better off running something else behind the wall and connecting to a plate. Not sure if this cable is rated to run behind a wall or not.)

Unfortunately my kids somehow snapped off the end of the RCA connector in the subwoofer. I was able to get the RCA tip out of the sub, and now I need to rewire. I had thought the easiest thing would be to buy a new sub cable and try to pull that through the wall by taping it to old cable, but after giving the old cable a few tugs I’m not sure it wants to move, so I'd like to use the same cable. I think for looks and for avoiding this same issue in the future I'd like to use a wall plate with a short cable connecting to the sub instead of having the cable run through the wall.

A few questions for the experts:

Should I put a male RCA connector on the end or something else if I want to connect into a wall plate?

If RCA, do I need to solder or are the options without soldering good?

Any concerns that this would affect the quality of the signal? It's a goldenear sub if that matters.

advice appreciated ! Thank you.

Jon

jf8

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Yes, thanks for asking. Found it in an email from 2015. There are benefits to never deleting!

Monoprice 50ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Good news – the cable is standard coax, all of which is rated for in-wall. If you don’t have the special tools for crimping on F connectors, you can use a screw-on F connector. Here’s a good video for people with regular tools.

My only recommendation different what the video shows would be to fold the shield back over the jacket before screwing on the connector.

I’ve used these connectors in the past for “set it up and forget it” installations, and they work fine. You’ll want one for RG-6 cable.

After that, look for an adaptor wall plate that has a screw-on F connection on the in-wall side, and an RCA on the in-room side. You might find one at a local electronics hobbyist store. If you can’t find one of those, a wall plate with RCAs on both sides will do, along with an F-to-RCA adapter.

iu

There won’t be any signal issues – all that’s needed for subs is a signal that won’t introduce noise. Thte shielded coax cable is top-notch in that regard.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

jf8

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Wonderful, really appreciate the detailed advice. I’ll do some shopping. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks