What's new

need to replace HDMI cable for 4K in ceiling/wall - is this the correct type to get? (1 Viewer)

StarFyre

Auditioning
Real Name
Sanjay
hello,

Long story but basically, the current hdmi cable we have for our theater room, running in the wall/ceiling from the front of the room to where the projector is (maybe 25 or so ft long) wasnt installed long enough. (2012) In 2014 when we got the projector and we realized it doesnt reach where the port is on the projector, i ended up getting an extension unit. I was told the unit could cause flickering in the signal, etc. (which we do see occasionally - not daily so not sure if that is the cause).

Anyways, we want to upgrade to a 4K projector -need to replace the projector and receiver, however, good time to replace the cable as well. We dont have a tube in the ceiling sadly (forgot to ask for it and the work was done when we werent home so didnt occur - maybe would have realized it if we saw the work being done).

Without putting holes in the ceiling, an installer contact suggested going around the room, up the wall and then along the gap to the projector (since its open, so no holes needed) BUT this would need a longer cable -35 to 40 ft. i read for longer hdmi cables signal may be a problem so to just get a fiber cable.

current cables are from monoprice back then, but i just want to be sure, this is the type of cable i should be looking for:

(will look around for something similar if this is the proper type)

Regards

SF

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know that brand, but Monoprice makes them as well, though Amazon CA doesn't seem to have them. However, yes that is the type of cable you want. Might as well go with 8K compatible.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
I can't see your link for some reason. HDMI cables can be finicky, especially active fiber cables. I have been trying to get a stable connection over a 50 foot run and am still getting occasional drop outs. I would recommend getting a certified cable with a QR Label. I have a Ruipro 15m 4K rated cable that is not certified but seems to be working OK other than the occasional dropouts during 4K broadcasts. All I need it for is to show a single 4K sports broadcast on my Projector at one side of the house in a Basement Theater and an OLED in a Family room at the other end of the house at the same time since Xfinity only allows a single 4K capable TV box. Each component in the chain complicates the reliability at higher UHD/4K/8K resolutions. Source > AVR and AVR > Projector is a common simple one assuming they all support the higher resolutions.

I am not a fan of HDMI. The time I spend trouble shooting isn't worth trying to save a buck, not that price quarantines success. 1080p was so much easier even over HDMI. Did I mention I hate HDMI?

The Ruipro draws more power though and some devices like an HDFury VRROOM I was testing in splitter mode don't provide enough. I have ordered a 15m Phoossno Gen2 Certified 8K HDMI 2.1 Fiber Optic Cable that I'm told requires less power. There are also USB power inserters that can help.

Lumagen recommends Tributaries 10 meter UHDV and 15 meter UHDV “Vega” cables. I don't think they are certified but they have tested as the most consistent and reliable in their experience. Like Bullet Train they are at a much higher price point than other options.

From the other forum:

Active, Hybrid Fiber Cables ATC Certified (QR Label):

Ruipro - 15m
Cable Matters - 5m, 10m, 15m
Phoossno - 7.5m, 10m, 15m, 20m
Zeskit Optical Fiber - 10m, 15m, 20m
WireWorld Stellar Fiber Optic 8k - up to 30m

Active, Hybrid Fiber Cables ISF Certified:

Bullet Train - 5m to 100m (eARC 5m - 20m only)

StarFyre

Auditioning
Real Name
Sanjay
I can't see your link for some reason. HDMI cables can be finicky, especially active fiber cables. I have been trying to get a stable connection over a 50 foot run and am still getting occasional drop outs. I would recommend getting a certified cable with a QR Label. I have a Ruipro 15m 4K rated cable that is not certified but seems to be working OK other than the occasional dropouts during 4K broadcasts. All I need it for is to show a single 4K sports broadcast on my Projector at one side of the house in a Basement Theater and an OLED in a Family room at the other end of the house at the same time since Xfinity only allows a single 4K capable TV box. Each component in the chain complicates the reliability at higher UHD/4K/8K resolutions. Source > AVR and AVR > Projector is a common simple one assuming they all support the higher resolutions.

I am not a fan of HDMI. The time I spend trouble shooting isn't worth trying to save a buck, not that price quarantines success. 1080p was so much easier even over HDMI. Did I mention I hate HDMI?

The Ruipro draws more power though and some devices like an HDFury VRROOM I was testing in splitter mode don't provide enough. I have ordered a 15m Phoossno Gen2 Certified 8K HDMI 2.1 Fiber Optic Cable that I'm told requires less power. There are also USB power inserters that can help.

Lumagen recommends Tributaries 10 meter UHDV and 15 meter UHDV “Vega” cables. I don't think they are certified but they have tested as the most consistent and reliable in their experience. Like Bullet Train they are at a much higher price point than other options.

From the other forum:

Active, Hybrid Fiber Cables ATC Certified (QR Label):

Ruipro - 15m
Cable Matters - 5m, 10m, 15m
Phoossno - 7.5m, 10m, 15m, 20m
Zeskit Optical Fiber - 10m, 15m, 20m
WireWorld Stellar Fiber Optic 8k - up to 30m

Active, Hybrid Fiber Cables ISF Certified:

Bullet Train - 5m to 100m (eARC 5m - 20m only)
Hey
Thanks for scaring me :)

I found one company in Canada that carries Bullet Train.

I found this: https://shop.fibercommand.com/en-ca...k60hz-hdr-bundle-cable?variant=40003608084522

I was looking here but still need to go through your list.

Sadly I think I would need 35 or 40 ft max but 30 and 50 seem to be common lengths for most.

https://www.bestproductscanada.com/...Ki-kO7_nOTaS6FSKvX1Br24P1W5yraY8aAsQ9EALw_wcB

Regards

SF

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Hey
Thanks for scaring me :)

I found one company in Canada that carries Bullet Train.

I found this: https://shop.fibercommand.com/en-ca...k60hz-hdr-bundle-cable?variant=40003608084522

I was looking here but still need to go through your list.

Sadly I think I would need 35 or 40 ft max but 30 and 50 seem to be common lengths for most.

https://www.bestproductscanada.com/...Ki-kO7_nOTaS6FSKvX1Br24P1W5yraY8aAsQ9EALw_wcB

Regards

SF

I couldn't justify the cost of Bullet Train cables for the rare times I want to simultaneously show 4K Sports on two displays. There are a lot of opportunities now though. World Series, World Cup, Premier League Football (Soccer), College Football, and NBA, which I don't watch. Sometimes it is worth biting "The Bullet", spending the money and minimize wasted time and frustration trying to get everything to play nice.

My older, non-certified 4K 15m Ruipro has been working perfectly since the last time I noticed dropouts. It may have been the Xfinity Cable broadcast causing dropouts, not the cable. (Xfinity XG1 > Ocean Matrix OMX 1X2 HDMI Splitter > Denon AVR-X6500H > LG 77 CX).

I've received a new phoossno 8K Gen2 Certified cable but not sure I need it now. I might test my HDFury VRROOM again in place of the Ocean Matrix splitter and see if it can maintain a signal over the phoossno, it wouldn't work with the 15m Ruipro due to power the Ruipro requires and the HDFury doesn't provide. Both splitters worked fine over the shorter 3m passive copper HDMI cable runs. Each connection complicates the signal and troubleshooting.

(Xfinity X1 XG1v4 Cable TV box HDMI Out > Splitter HDMI In > Splitter HDMI 2 Out > Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242 > Lumagen sends Video to JVC DLA-RS3100, Audio to Marantz AV7705)

StarFyre

Auditioning
Real Name
Sanjay
I couldn't justify the cost of Bullet Train cables for the rare times I want to simultaneously show 4K Sports on two displays. There are a lot of opportunities now though. World Series, World Cup, Premier League Football (Soccer), College Football, and NBA, which I don't watch. Sometimes it is worth biting "The Bullet", spending the money and minimize wasted time and frustration trying to get everything to play nice.

My older, non-certified 4K 15m Ruipro has been working perfectly since the last time I noticed dropouts. It may have been the Xfinity Cable broadcast causing dropouts, not the cable. (Xfinity XG1 > Ocean Matrix OMX 1X2 HDMI Splitter > Denon AVR-X6500H > LG 77 CX).

I've received a new phoossno 8K Gen2 Certified cable but not sure I need it now. I might test my HDFury VRROOM again in place of the Ocean Matrix splitter and see if it can maintain a signal over the phoossno, it wouldn't work with the 15m Ruipro due to power the Ruipro requires and the HDFury doesn't provide. Both splitters worked fine over the shorter 3m passive copper HDMI cable runs. Each connection complicates the signal and troubleshooting.

(Xfinity X1 XG1v4 Cable TV box HDMI Out > Splitter HDMI In > Splitter HDMI 2 Out > Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242 > Lumagen sends Video to JVC DLA-RS3100, Audio to Marantz AV7705)

this doesnt say certified that i can see, but description is good: https://shop.fibercommand.com/produ...k60hz-hdr-bundle-cable?variant=40003608084522

then the one you mentioned: gen2 phoossno ...

maybe i take a chance with one of those 2.

Found Stellar at this other store: https://altitudoaudio.ca/products/wireworld-stellar-optical-hdmi-2-1-cable
but its very expensive compared to the other 2.

Regards

SF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks