What's new

Basic Outdoor Speakers (1 Viewer)

PlanoBlazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Blazer
This is as basic as it gets - I've never had home theater systems or fancy car stereos, so I literally don't know what 85% of the stuff on the boxes for receivers means.
With my naïveté in mind, I am looking to put two or four Yamaha NS-AW190 speakers by the pool. It's not a party pool - just want to pipe radio or iPod to the pool/patio and fire pit area. As I'm looking something to hook them up to, and looking at receiver options. I don't figure I need anything too fancy - will the Yamaha RX-V373 work for this application? Is it overkill? Not enough? Is there something (cheaper) that I can do to power them?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I looked up your speakers:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/outdoor-speakers/ns-aw190_black/?mode=model
Frequency Response 65 Hz - 40 kHz
Sensitivity 85 dB/2.83 V/1 m
Input Power (Maximum / Nominal) 120W / 35W
Impedance 6 Ohms
Using that as a reference.....
"just want to pipe radio or iPod to the pool/patio and fire pit area."
Then looked up your Yamaha RX-V373 - this runs for $300.00
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v373_black_u/
Has a few features that seem to lend themselves to your request above -
-iPod/iPhone song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel
- Yamaha employs sophisticated digital signal processing with exclusive algorithms to enable playback that improves the performance of compressed music formats, including MP3 and WMA. With the Compressed Music Enhancer, highs and especially lows are richer and smoother, bringing music back to life to be as close to the original as possible.
- Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 110/130/160/180W
For your 6 ohms speakers - 130 W....so is rated for 6 ohms speakers, and will deliver enough power..
- FM/AM Tuner - even has a radio....
"Is it overkill? Not enough? "
This is a full home theater system - with video processing and the latest sound decoding features to take advantage of blu-ray movie playback....seems like a little overkill if you are only going to listen to music on the patio through 2 or 4 small outdoor speakers, and not do any movie/tv watching that will take advantage of the sound...
It will drive your speakers....
You can get a basic 2 zone reconditioned receiver for $150.00 that would work for what you are doing...for that application, I would recommend you save a little money and go that route.
DENON DRA-397 AM/FM Multi Source/Zone Stereo Receiver
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENDRA397/DENON-DRA-397-AM/FM-Multi-Source/Zone-Stereo-Receiver/1.html

PlanoBlazer

Auditioning
Real Name
Blazer
Thanks Martin. I'll look at the receiver you posted tonight.
I did find the Yamaha I mentioned at Best Buy for $225, and buying it at that price also knocks $15 off the speakers. There is some thought from the kids that perhaps having a plasma TV mounted outside would be neat when the weather is a bit more condusive to sitting out (its 105 right now!) Plus, in the winter we could play poker and smoke cigars and still not miss the football game (no cigars in the house, per the wife). Would that change your opinion at all? Or still go with the cheaper option you mentioned above?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
If you are planning on expanding the system besides some music on the patio and watch movies and other goodies, then you can spend the extra cash and get the Yamaha. It would be a bit of an overkill - but could be used for a better system in the future. You could also go with a 7.1 receiver that allows you to have a 5.1 setup indoors and a second zone of 2 speakers outdoors (like by the pool)
There are TV's designed to be used outdoors, but your basic plasma models are not one of them - so if you are looking for outdoor plasma TVs ensure that they are the weather-proof models.....the basic ones are designed to be used indoors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks