What's new

Best used cheap receiver for my patio/garage speakers? (1 Viewer)

jpregler

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Been browsing the forum for a while now, but figured I'd post a new topic as my situation is pretty specific. I have a set of the Pyle PDWR40W outdoor speakers on my patio. I want to run audio to them. I also have a set of Klipsch Promedia GMX 5.1 speakers that I pulled off my computer. I'd like to use those indoor by the patio and my garage. I plan on purchasing a cheap DVD player and use that to play CD's. I have a tablet that I can get a dock/converter cord to plug in to the receiver so I can stream music so I think between the two I am covered for audio formats I may want. What kind of receiver would be good to push music to all of those speakers and allow for those plain inputs and hopefully have a built in FM/AM receiver? I would be happy purchasing something off ebay used. Quality is not the most important, but I don't want something that makes the speakers sound terrible either. The only reason I am including the Klipsch ones in the discussion is that I figured I might as well use them for something instead of letting them just sit around. Basically looking to just blast some audio for working in the garage and lounging outside. Assuming a receiver is the best bet to do all this? The two sets of speaker (Pyle and Klipsch) can play the same source, but it would be nice to turn off one set or the other if not being used. (Like a A/B type option) There are many options on Ebay so I figured if I can get it narrowed down to some brands and models, it will make it easier on me. I've used this forum a long time ago to get suggestions and purchased my Marantz receiver and SVS subwoofer and surround speakers (both fantastic). Thanks in advance for any suggestions! I greatly appreciate it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no "cheap" receiver to connect self-powered speakers to.

Give me 5-10 minutes and I'll post the cheapest 5-8 year old Integra/Onkyo I can find on Ebay.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh....well....

Forget the AVR. That speaker set doesn't have a MCH input.

Best thing to do...

Buy a DVD/BD player player that has toslink/digital coax and a stereo analog.

Then connect that 2 channel analog to any stereo integrated amp you want. Also just buy an AM/FM tuner to connect to the analog input on the Klipsch. Get a pair of RCA splitters to connect the tuner to the Klipsch and the stereo receiver.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is what you need

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Nad-304-Integrated-Amp-/121295135470?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c3dc0e2ee (this ends shortly...but it is an integrated...and a good one)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAD-4020-AM-FM-Stereo-Tuner-/271431505007?pt=US_Radio_Tuners&hash=item3f3294146f (picked only cause of the same brand. Want digital...get digital)
http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YRA-104-Male-Female-Cable/dp/B000068O4Y/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395435923&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=rca+spolitter (two to split the tuner to the NAD amp and to the Klipsch)

Edit:
Just read the whole listing on the NAD 304. Oops...it is "dead"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks