What's new

Simple 5.1 receiver recommendation (1 Viewer)

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hello,

I've got a simple 5.1 set up in our living room and my receiver has started cutting out with an overload warning. I'm going to look at cleaning all the vents, but it's pretty old and I figured there's probably a reasonably priced upgrade out there that I should consider.

Here's my setup.

50" Sharp TV with built in Roku
Sony SS-V130 R, L and SS-CN130 center speakers
CV R & L rear speakers (left on the wall by the previous owners when we moved in. Easier to leave them than mount the other two Sony SS-V130s, lol.)
Sony sub (came with those speakers)
Sony BDP-S3200 Blu Ray
Panasonic SA-HE100 receiver
Logitech Harmony Smart Control Remote

Mostly we watch streaming content, occasionally a Blu Ray.

I'm sure a newer set matched speakers would sound better (those Sonys came with the receiver before the Panasonic, lol), but we're happy with these for now.

I'd basically want the equivalent functionality to what I have, but on screen volume display would be nice (I assume that's something available now) and an RF remote since the receiver is in a cabinet.

I imagine there are a lot of decent affordable options available, are there any stand out models or specific features I should look for?

Thanks

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A Yamaha RX-V385 with an IR extender* would probably do what you want it to do the best. It will require a couple more Banana plugs for the rear speakers though.

*RF remotes never really caught on with surround sound receivers so its IR extender or nothing.

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
A Yamaha RX-V385 with an IR extender* would probably do what you want it to do the best. It will require a couple more Banana plugs for the rear speakers though.

*RF remotes never really caught on with surround sound receivers so its IR extender or nothing.
I was just looking at that on Amazon.

What do you mean by needing more banana plugs?

For now, my Logitech remote and hub does great for the components in the cabinet, but I know they've stopped making their Harmony remotes, so once it's done I'll need another solution.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think the Denon S760H is the standout mid-range product from 2021 / 22. I haven’t tracked AVRs since I bought mine in December. It does everything you’d want in a modern receiver, lacking only pre-outs and top-tier Audyssey.

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Another Q:

Because this 20 year old receiver doesn't have HDMI ports, I've run everything through the TV, switch sources there and route the TV sound to the receiver. With a newer receiver with HDMI ports, would I be better off doing the switching at the receiver?

How does that work with the TV, then? Sometimes it's providing sound (and video, I guess) to the system (watching something from an internal Roku app) and sometimes it's receiving both sound and video from the system (watching a Blue Ray). Does one HDMI connection work both ways?

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
I think the Denon S760H is the standout mid-range product from 2021 / 22. I haven’t tracked AVRs since I bought mine in December. It does everything you’d want in a modern receiver, lacking only pre-outs and top-tier Audyssey.
The S660H was on my list, but it's a 5.2 vs the 7.2 of the S770H and it's $40 more on Amazon.

I assume I can run a 7.2 (or 5.2) receiver with a 5.1 speaker setup just fine, right?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The S660H was on my list, but it's a 5.2 vs the 7.2 of the S770H and it's $40 more on Amazon.

I assume I can run a 7.2 (or 5.2) receiver with a 5.1 speaker setup just fine, right?
Yes. If a higher end model is cheaper, then you’ve got a little room to expand if you ever want.

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
I didn't catch the $460 price was a used model. Probably a return, but still.

Found a refurb'd unit at Accessories4less.com for $450 and they added a free 3 year extended warranty on top of the Denon 1 year. Pulled the trigger on that.

Now, I'll have to see if I can get my Harmony remote to play nice with it. :D

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Harmony should work fine with it, that’s what I use.
Yeah, I just need to remember how to set it up. :D Since my old receiver became unreliable, I wanted to set my remote to control the TV volume instead of the receiver. Couldn't figure out how to do it. Not a biggie, I can just use the TV remote for now, but I will need to set it up differently with the new receiver.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The answer you don't want to hear regarding controlling volume and connection of all the stuff is... instead of using the TV's Roku app, I suggest getting an actual Roku device and connecting it to the receiver, along with any other sources, and then just run an hdmi to the TV.

The reality is, the complexity that's added by using the TV's internal apps isn't worth the hassle it creates to get it all to work. Roku devices are reasonably priced and generally run smoother and stay more up to date than the TV's internal streaming.

Yes, it can be done. I just think it's better in the long run to do it this way.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
What do you mean by needing more banana plugs?
Your Panasonic uses banana plugs for the front L and r only.

1662240706068.png

The recievers we're talking about use them for the center and rears as well.

1662240902252.png

1662241028977.png

Last edited:

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Another Q:

Because this 20 year old receiver doesn't have HDMI ports, I've run everything through the TV, switch sources there and route the TV sound to the receiver. With a newer receiver with HDMI ports, would I be better off doing the switching at the receiver?

How does that work with the TV, then? Sometimes it's providing sound (and video, I guess) to the system (watching something from an internal Roku app) and sometimes it's receiving both sound and video from the system (watching a Blue Ray). Does one HDMI connection work both ways?
So, doing a bit more reading, I assume that connecting to an ARC HDMI port (which my TV does have) solves this, right?

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Your Panasonic uses banana plugs for the front L and r only. The recievers we're talking about use them for the center and rears as well.
Ah, well, I'm not using banana plugs at all, I just connected the wires to the back. :oops: It's been working for the 6 years we've lived here and many more at my old house. So, I shouldn't do that with the new one?

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
The answer you don't want to hear regarding controlling volume and connection of all the stuff is... instead of using the TV's Roku app, I suggest getting an actual Roku device and connecting it to the receiver, along with any other sources, and then just run an hdmi to the TV.

The reality is, the complexity that's added by using the TV's internal apps isn't worth the hassle it creates to get it all to work. Roku devices are reasonably priced and generally run smoother and stay more up to date than the TV's internal streaming.

Yes, it can be done. I just think it's better in the long run to do it this way.
Why can't I use the built in Roku apps just like I would with watching regular TV channels?

Getting a standalone Roku isn't a big deal, just not sure why it's needed.

Al Holland

Grip
Why can't I use the built in Roku apps just like I would with watching regular TV channels?

Getting a standalone Roku isn't a big deal, just not sure why it's needed.
Running all devices to the AVR and then HDMI to TV is the simpliest set up. ARC is a PITA most times.
Also you can customize the Harmony activities to get the most from your remote.
Biggest downfall is Harmony will not operate ROKU devices. Still a ROKU streamer is the best overall choice.

All IMO.

Salguod

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
I guess I'm still not seeing how tuning the TV to a broadcast channel vs tuning it to a Roku app is different. I don't use broadcast TV, but I'm assuming that has to be possible. Maybe I'm missing that each has the same problem.

What makes ARC a PITA?

Is using a standard HDMI and optical audio a decent alternative? Looking at the Denon manual, that's shown as an alternate setup.

Thanks for all the help, folks.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It has to do with the hassle of switching between sources within the TV and ones connected directly to the receiver. We’re actually just trying to find the smoothest and least problematic solution, but you’re free to do whatever you want.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I guess I'm still not seeing how tuning the TV to a broadcast channel vs tuning it to a Roku app is different. I don't use broadcast TV, but I'm assuming that has to be possible. Maybe I'm missing that each has the same problem.

What makes ARC a PITA?

Is using a standard HDMI and optical audio a decent alternative? Looking at the Denon manual, that's shown as an alternate setup.

Thanks for all the help, folks.
Give it a try. if it works for you, you’re golden. :)

But eARC and HDMI-CEC aren’t 100% solid and, for example, I’ve had problems with them. I gave up and turned it all off and was happier using an AppleTV than my Sony TV’s internal apps.

I use TV apps on my bedroom TV, but I’m using TV speakers and don‘t have to worry about eARC.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Me as well. I find it’s better to avoid all that electronic voodoo. If it works, then great. But it also tends to suddenly stop working. I prefer to keep things straightforward. I also use AppleTVs, which are expensive, but totally worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks