Babylon 5 season 3..when?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd s, May 6, 2003.

1. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

2. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I'm just excited to get B5 S3 this quickly, I wasn't looking forward to such a long wait till November.

If this becomes the norm with this series then S4 will wind up coming out by November!

3. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

I think it was HUGE mistake to release Babylon 5 in widescreen.

If they could've re-rendered all of the CGI to widescreen, then I would've been all for it.

But as it stands, the show just seems cobbled together in a procrustean fashion. Stretch, nip, tuck, crop. I would've much rather had it in 4:3. The live-action was shot with both 16:9 and 4:3 ratios in mind, but the CGI wasn't. It's almost the reverse of forcing a special effects-heavy film shot in Super-35 to fit a 4:3 screen. You get more image in live action shots, but the SFX shots are butchered to hell.

As such, I've so far refused to buy it. I would really like to own B5 in widescreen, but the way they've gone about making the widescreen AR just doesn't sit right with me. I've seen a few of the eps on DVD, and I wasn't impressed at all.

4. TimSniffin

TimSniffin Stunt Coordinator

I don't think it was a mistake. Especially when the intended aspect ratio was always supposed to be widescreen, regardless of the way it was broadcast.

One of things that always bugged me while watching the series the first time was how many of the close-ups now seem to be like the Wayne's World EXTREME closeups; I swear I could see Londo's nosehairs in some of those shots. Of course, the shots were never framed to be that way...there was supposed to be some "air" around the character's heads, but they were cropped out. When I heard that the SciFi channel was going to broadcast the series in widescreen, I was estatic, because I always had the feeling that the entire series was cropped from the getgo (of course, I lost cable access, so I never got to see it. Figures).

Which brings me to my question: I didn't hear any complaints about SciFi's presentation, outside of the fact that Warner's accidently cropped the already cropped image to make the widescreen in season 2 in the inital broadcast. Was the CGI better in those, and if Warner's had already done these widescreen versions, then aren't these the same versions on the DVDs?

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino