Babylon 5 season 3..when?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by todd s, May 6, 2003.

1. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Crusade and the B5 movies are apples and oranges. And despite providing the set-up, ACtA is nothing like a "pilot" for Crusade. A pilot introduces the characters and setting for a TV series, and serves as a sample episode. ACtA had only three actors/characters who appeared in the Crusade titles, one of them a recycled B5 character who was going to appear in fewer than half the episodes every season. It also introduced the ship, but the ship was not a character. ACtA was mostly the story of one B5 character who was rarely mentioned in Crusade and never made a guest appearance on the show. (Though there were plans for that down the road.)

A fair number of B5 fans just plain didn't like Crusade. I am not one of them, but I would not support forcing people who had no interest in Crusade to buy it just to get the TV movies. There is no reason to "fill out" a Crusade boxed set. Warner Home Video can use fewer discs and charge less. There is no law that says a season set has to be 22-26 episodes and consist of 6 to 7 discs. Nobody suggested selling some unrelated product to "fill out" the short first season of Buffy, or the A&E 18 episode release of The Prisoner. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

That's funny...I told a coworker today about the S3 release coming in August, and HE suggested a box set of the movies! [​IMG]

He pointed out that they've been airing as a set on TV, and that it would be great to have them all on DVD together.

My answer was that I hadn't heard a thing about such an idea, but that it was a good idea. But that I was sure that right now they're just worried about getting the season sets out for now. [​IMG]

3. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I'm not sure why they are using a Pat Tallman for the season three cover. She wasn't a member of the full cast until season 4.

4. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I wish they'd wait until November. They rushed season 2 out and the video quality is ABYSMAL!! Pleeeeaaaase don't screw up the video on my favorite season...

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Quentin
    They didn't rush the release of Season 2. It was always a late April/Early May Release. Season 3 was intially rumored as November and then September and now it looks like it will be August so this is where the speed up is starting. The video quality has nothing to do with anything being rushed but has to do with the series being released in 16.9 but the effects scenes are now only available in 4.3. This is well discussed in other current B5 threads.

6. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I am about to get Season 1, so by the time August rolls around, I hope to be up to date.

[​IMG]

7. Andrew_B

Andrew_B Stunt Coordinator

While not a stunning transfer, I wouldn't use the word ABYSMAL to describe it.

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

9. Dave Molinarolo

Dave Molinarolo Stunt Coordinator

Question, why is it that a problem occurs when there's a CGI and a life-action composite shot? One would think that the CGI would transform (or whatever word is correct here) to the 16:9 image.

10. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

There are also quite a few live action shots without any CGI that are zoomed to 16:9 ... particularly live shots following a CGI shot ... in a transition from cgi to live.

This occurs at most of the commercial break cuts ... cgi of the station and the first live action shot after that is zoomed. The moment the camera angle changes ... the true 16:9 live action shots return. Like the flick of a light switch.

In some ways, it feels like I am watching that Beauty & the Beast Work in Progress Cartoon. Distracting.

The CGI stuff done in the documentary portions that are 4:3 look wonderful as they should.

Regards

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

13. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Joe, there are a few shots that could be okay. Namely ones where the CGI doesn't cross the vertical boundries on the 4:3 area.

They could go and recreate everything, but they'd almost be doing it from scratch and it isn't worth the money.

14. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I actually don't have a problem with the CGI shots. Yes, they have artifact problems, but they don't distract me.

What distracts me are the shots that look blown up and excessively grainy and the occasional scene that is so blurry I can't even make out faces (usually, a long bird's-eye shot of the atrium).

Abysmal may be strong as an OVERALL description. In fact, I'm very happy with most of it. But, I felt Season 2 had MANY more of the grainy and terrible looking scenes/shots than Season 1 had.

Couldn't they clean these up if they took the time?

15. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

16. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Joe, the live action elements exist on film, right? Theoretically, they could redo all the CG elements given enough money. Of course, it would be very difficult to convince anyone with that much money this is a worthwhile venture.

17. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Personally I wish they had left the show at 4x3. Ok so they shot with the intent to allow for future widescreen broadcasts, but with the loss of the CGI files, they should have stuck with 4x3 or paid for the CGI shots to be redone (the latter would be unlikely since Warner was not convinced the series would sell). This isn't like say Angel Season 3 were the 4x3 framing wrecks the composition. The 4x3 framing of the show was fine to begin with.

18. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

19. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

20. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

The CGI looks fine to me. Maybe that's just because I'm near-sighted though.

The only stuff that bothers me is the grain in the background of the live action scenes when the scene is just a conversation and the camera stays on one person for a while. The grain really seems to stand out then.
    The numerous scratches is the other thing. I wish they clean that up, if possible. It doesn't seem to be too bad in the later episodes though. Maybe season 3 will have barely any. [​IMG]