Axiom or SVS for 7.1 surround

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ballbreaker, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ballbreaker

ballbreaker Extra

Well guys , I took the Axiom plunge removing the sub they offer . Cant wait to set the system up .I have 30 days to trial the system
    Will write a little review so others can read .
    This is a huge step up for me as in ceiling speakers just didnt create much of a sound stage .
    Thanks for your assistance and opinions
    Remove VP160
    Color: Black Oak
    $570.00 CAD
    $570.00 CAD
    Remove Pair Millennia M60 Towers
    $1,080.00 CAD
    $1,080.00 CAD
    Remove Pair QS8 Surrounds
    $582.00 CAD
    $582.00 CAD
    Remove Pair QS8 Surrounds
    $582.00 CAD
    $582.00 CAD

2. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I think you'll love them, congratulations! I'm interested in what you think, so definitely write that mini review.
    By the way, what are you using for a receiver/amp? And do you have, or did you get, any sub at all; or just running with the towers? The Axiom subs do seem overpriced compared to the competition, although I've never heard one to compare.

3. ballbreaker

ballbreaker Extra

By the way, what are you using for a receiver/amp?
    I have a cheap little yamaha 5063 receiver with hdmi 1.4 using for 3d movies and such with my projector . The little yammy actually packs some power for movies when watching with 7.1 and music in 7.1 sounds very good as well .
    My back up receiver is a vintage Onkyo Tx sv828THX for music only . this thing is a beast but doesnt have the HDMI ability or the video upscaling that I need for movies . I sure miss the power and I can see an update to a better receiver in the future :huh:
    I have an SVS 12 sub
    I may update to a couple SVS cylinder subs once the dedicated theatre room is built

4. Al.Anderson

Al
    I was going to say make sure you have at least a little power, but that Yamaha should do fine. I went from an 80wpc Onkyo to a 50wpc Marantz (for HDMi and networking) and I didn't think the system sounded as good. It may not have been the power, but that was my guess. I switched again to an 80wpc Yamaha and all is well again.
    The SVSs get great user reviews and should do nicely.
    Did I mention I'm jealous?!

5. ballbreaker

ballbreaker Extra

Wifey thinks i am crazy !!
    Building the speaker system before the room is built . Hey you need to listen to something while your building walls and soundproofing :cool:
    I am using the Dow blue styrafoam R-15 in the walls and ceiling . Glad im working 7 days on and 7 days off cuz this is gonna take up some time and cash .
    Worst part .... gotta kick the daughter outta the basement bedroom to start the build . got two empty rooms upstairs for her to decide on .

6. Al.Anderson

Al
    Yeah, we're all used to that by now.

7. David Willow

David Willow Babbling Idiot
    Supporter

Dave
    Nice. I think you will be happy. :banana:
    On a side note, one of my M60's recently developed a problem where the tweeter cuts in and out. After some testing and swapping tweeters, I decided to call Axiom. I spoke with Brent and he had me check the terminal straps. After checking them and doing more testing, I called back and Brent is sending me a return form tomorrow when he gets back in the office. This is the first time I contacted Axiom since I purchased them in early 2008. So far I'm impressed....
    Did I mention Axiom speakers have a 5 year warranty? :D

8. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    Most decent speakers do.