Under the house wiring solution for surrounds - Romex?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike Romo, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Mike Romo

Mike Romo Stunt Coordinator

hi guys!

So, I am moving and my room...well, for the first time, I am running into serious challenges in hooking up my surrounds. I am actually going from a 7.1 to 5.1 system (which is not that big a loss, but still...it hurts, just a bit)--all axiom audio with SVS sub--and, after doing some searches, it looks like my original idea of going wireless with some powered monitor speakers might not be a good idea. I was thinking about using the audioengine wireless transponders with maybe some M-audio monitors, but it's all very pricey.

But I did notice that the new place I am renting has crawlspace under the house and there are already holes left behind from previous cable tv installations that I might be able to use to run speaker cable through. I tweeted about this idea and a friend suggested I use romex cable instead of standard speaker cable. I did a bit of research and it looks like this is actually power cable and not necessarily intended to be used for sound.

Have you all heard about this? Would you suggest a different solution?

thanks for any advice!

best,
    mike

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Regular speaker cable will work just fine and it much easier to work with. If you are worried about in-wall rating, then any CL-2 or higher rating speaker wire will work.

3. Mike Romo

Mike Romo Stunt Coordinator

Oh, thanks, Robert--this makes a lot of sense..it did seem a BIT overkill...

thanks again!
    mike