What's new
World Wide Stereo

Next Question: 7.1 Surround In-Ceiling speakers (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Dennis
First off, thanks for all of the help to this point. I really appreciate the input that this forum provides.

I have decided on the following components for my initial 5.1 system:

Pioneer 50" Plasma
Center - Axiom VP150
front(s) - Axiom M22 v2
Side Surround - QS8
Sub - SVS SB12-Plus - I don't think this is set in stone yet but it seems to be a great price for a great sub.
Denon 4806 receiver
PS3 for gaming, blu ray and media downloads
Oppo HD DVD player
The viewing couch will be placed 8' from the TV screen and approx. 12' from the rear wall. The room itself is 20' long. I point this out because the question is in regards to the rear surround speaker location as I think the rear wall is much too far from the viewing area to place the rear speakers.

My question is this:

I will pre-wire for a 7.1 surround but initially will forgo that and utilize the 5.1. The rear surrounds will be ceiling mounted and the ceiling is pitched at about 33 degrees on both sides, kind of like the inside of a tent.

What speakers do you recommend that will blend well with my system? Will in-ceiling be ok for this setting or should I just skip the 7.1?

728x90

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Dennis,

Have a look at my room (in my sig). It is about the same size as yours (17ft long) and I sit about 8 feet back from the TV. IMO, 7.1 adds to the experience in this type of room. I tried with 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1. I liked 7.1 the best.

Any chance you could do in-walls for the back? Maybe the Axiom W2's to match the rest of your system.

You may be able to use some of the funky brackets (Stands & Brackets : Full Metal Ceiling Bracket - Axiom Audio) to mount 2 more QS8's.

Real Name
Dennis
I could certainly do in-walls for the back surround but I was just assuming that the distance from the viewing area to the back wall (approx. 12 feet) was too far. If it's not too far then I will just throw the QS8s back there as well. Thoughts?

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Usually, when you set up your receiver you will input the distances to each speaker for speaker delay times - and then use a sound meter get the channels even. It should not matter how far away the rear speakers are...

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Mine are 8 feet behind me. 12 doesn't seem too long. Plus, Audyssey (in your Denon) will integrate them very nicely.

Don't get me wrong, 5.1 sounded great. I just like 7.1 a little better. I could live with 5.1 and be quite happy.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Real Name
Dennis

Thanks for the input from both of you. I didn't realize you could setup a delay.

I will go with the 8's in a 7.1 all wall mounted and not worry about the ceiling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks